Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The EU Reform Treaty

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2007, 05:47 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Post The EU Reform Treaty

As I'm in Lisbon, there are an awful lot of police motorbikes and black limos rushing to and fro today, as the future of the EU is thrashed out.

A whole load of people in the UK want a referendum on this, or the Constitution, or on something.

If we take the assumption that one would be pretty stupid to demand a vote on something that one knows the square root of **** all about, here's a link to a nice neutral explanation of the changes (fairly long).
BBC NEWS | Europe | A close look at the Reform Treaty

One request. If you can't be bothered to read it, or if you read it but don't really understand it - don't clamour for a vote on the subject.

Many thanks
Old 18 October 2007, 06:30 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to vote, I don't want to be part of Europe. The more legislation that is voted down the better
Old 18 October 2007, 06:34 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
As I'm in Lisbon, there are an awful lot of police motorbikes and black limos rushing to and fro today, as the future of the EU is thrashed out.

A whole load of people in the UK want a referendum on this, or the Constitution, or on something.

If we take the assumption that one would be pretty stupid to demand a vote on something that one knows the square root of **** all about, here's a link to a nice neutral explanation of the changes (fairly long).
BBC NEWS | Europe | A close look at the Reform Treaty

One request. If you can't be bothered to read it, or if you read it but don't really understand it - don't clamour for a vote on the subject.

Many thanks
Why do we have to host this crap???

All it does is create more traffic! This morning was murder!!
Old 18 October 2007, 06:56 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Brendan, this is the thin end of the wedge. The so called 'ratchet clause' still bothers most people in that decisions don't require unanimity so as the title suggests the Treaty would become self amending. In other words, it moves (us) ever closer to a national state of Europe without the right to veto.

Old 19 October 2007, 01:01 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Brendan, this is the thin end of the wedge. The so called 'ratchet clause' still bothers most people in that decisions don't require unanimity so as the title suggests the Treaty would become self amending. In other words, it moves (us) ever closer to a national state of Europe without the right to veto.

Fascism rears it's ugly head again, as it would sooner or later.
Old 19 October 2007, 01:29 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Godwins Law still holds true I see
Old 19 October 2007, 02:02 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I want to vote, I don't want to be part of Europe. The more legislation that is voted down the better
Totally agree.

Britain should be resposible for it's own laws, and not have someone in Brussels deciding what law we should have.
Brussels already decides too much of what happens in Britain for my liking.
Old 19 October 2007, 02:10 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stilover
Britain should be resposible for it's own laws, and not have someone in Brussels deciding what law we should have.

Brussels already decides too much of what happens in Britain for my liking.
I agree with you this time round mate

What we have to consider in addition though is that Bristish business does a significant amount of trade within Europe, can we afford not to be a part of the EU? The EU's deregulation of business within its borders means that it's easier and cheaper to trade within the EU.

There's more to the EU than what we initially see...
Old 19 October 2007, 02:16 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
I agree with you this time round mate
You're saying you sometime haven't agreed with me?

You should always agree with me. I'm always right
Old 19 October 2007, 02:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Jean Monnet said just after the war that he wanted to see Europe as a federal state. He also said that the peoples of the individual countries would object to losing their sovereignty and therefore the way to succeed in his ambition was to introduce federalism a little bit at a time so that the people did not really realise what was happening intil it had gone so far that it could not be reversed. What an honourable programme that was!

This is of course exactly what has been happening, starting with the referendum sponsored by Edward Heath who lied to us by leading us to believe that it was only going to be a trading partnership!

This so called programme of "amendments" has been described by enough leaders of European countries including the German Chancellor Angela Merkel who sponsored the creation of the treaty as being hardly different to the previous attempt at a constitution which was rejected by France and Holland. We were not allowed to vote then since the treaty was rendered null and void by the votes of those two countries.

The so called "red lines" agreed by Billy Boy would not hold for any length of time. This has been stated by enough people who know what they are talking about and who have seen it all before.

If we allow ourselves to be conned into accepting this version of the constitution, basically we can kiss our own country and our own control of our lives goodbye.

We will have no significant influence in the EU Parliament with our tiny presence, ie the so called power we would be said to have in the Eu would be pure rubbish.

We would be controlled by an unelected bunch of commissioners who have not even been able to get their annual accounts passed by the international audit authority for some 12 years for goodness sake! Billions of Euros have just disappeared! Would you trust them to lead us?

I wonder why our illustrious leader is refusing to allow us to decide the future of our own country with a referendum when he knows full well that is what we want by a vast majority.. How trustworthy is that too?

Les