Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Time to reign in the public sector?

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2007, 03:08 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Time to reign in the public sector?

Anyone else fed up of the bloated public sector that seems to have sprung up over the past few years? I'm all in favour of more doctors, nurses, fireman etc etc, in fact all the 'essential' jobs that are required. What gets my goat are sexual and racial equality/environmental compliance officers that most councils and gov't bodies seem to HAVE to have. Council bills have soared, along with the tax take in general. Yet what have we got from it all? GP's on £100,000 plus for less hours, an increasingly militant public sector workforce and literally billions and billions thrown at hospitals where they can't even clean properly. Vast sums of money eaten away by social security (warranted for OAPs and the genuinely disabled)

If you're a public worker you can retire at 60 on full pension (final salary scheme pension more than likely) while us poor saps in the private sector can look forward to retiring at 67 and probably on some crappy pension once it's taxed and final salary schemes are closed.

Isn't it about time the free healthcare for all was abandoned. Everyone of workable age should be made to pay insurance, the young and old should remain free.

Social security for the workshy should be stopped. I'd have a maximum of 3 years during a working life. This would cure the need of a vast influx of foreigners who carry out tasks that lazy brits deem beneath them.

Sorry for the rant, had to get it off my chest!
Old 13 October 2007, 04:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Join the Public Sector then !

I worked for the Police until I left last year, now earn double.
Old 13 October 2007, 05:02 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Aliterally billions and billions thrown at hospitals where they can't even clean properly.
They're not cleaned properly because the cleaning was privatised by the last Tory government - please try and keep up.

M
Old 13 October 2007, 05:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is essential to have sufficient people to do the work in the private sector, but where the cash is wasted is in the vast bureaucracy whivh has sprung up to apparently supervise them but who are in reality causing all the problem in a target driven society.

Les
Old 13 October 2007, 05:46 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
They're not cleaned properly because the cleaning was privatised by the last Tory government - please try and keep up.

M
They should privatise the whole thing. Even if the cleaning has been privatised, it's overseen by public workers. I won't even go into the waste and mess PFI is going to generate.
Old 14 October 2007, 12:21 AM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Council bills have soared,
Care to give an example or two? Think you'll find that most council tax rates across the country are pretty much inline with inflation despite massive cuts imposed on us by central government.

If you're a public worker you can retire at 60 on full pension (final salary scheme pension more than likely)
Well, would you want a 65 year old fireman trying to rescue you from the 20th floor of a burning building?

Age of retirement varies across the different public sector organisations but I think you'll find most is inline with the private sector...

and you'll find that public sector employees are also losing out on final salary schemes.

Im all for critisising the public sector - 10 years in it and I'm spoilt for choice on where to start so please try to get your facts right

Trending Topics

Old 14 October 2007, 12:25 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Old 14 October 2007, 12:26 AM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

and what are you looking all stroppy for?
Old 14 October 2007, 12:33 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

you with a bloody Bee in your bonnet again....
Old 14 October 2007, 12:38 AM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
you with a bloody Bee in your bonnet again....
LOL nah just wish people would make a bit of effort to get their facts right.... like the fact that most professionally qualified people in the public sector, like solicitors, surveyers, engineers, IT staff etc earn around 30-40% less than they could get in the private sector..... love to see peoples faces when they got their council tax bills if we ever did get decent pay
Old 14 October 2007, 12:51 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
LOL nah just wish people would make a bit of effort to get their facts right.... like the fact that most professionally qualified people in the public sector, like solicitors, surveyers, engineers, IT staff etc earn around 30-40% less than they could get in the private sector..... love to see peoples faces when they got their council tax bills if we ever did get decent pay
That depends how you qualify 'earn'. My wife is public sector. She can 'earn' twice as much in private sector, but when you take benefits and pension into consideration she would have to earn near enough 3 times as much to buy the benefits that public sector provides 'for free'*

* 'for free' means that the tax paying sucker pays instead
Old 14 October 2007, 12:52 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

like I said.. bonnet... bees , in.....
Old 14 October 2007, 12:51 PM
Sauron
Scooby Regular

"If you're a public worker you can retire at 60 on full pension (final salary scheme pension more than likely) while us poor saps in the private sector can look forward to retiring at 67 and probably on some crappy pension once it's taxed and final salary schemes are closed."

Suggest you look hear The Civil Service Pensioners' Alliance - Services for members
In order to get 1/2 finishing salary as a pension you would have to have worked 40 years.
After 28 yrs in CS I currently earn £18.5K, 42 hr week, and pension likely to be half this when I retire, at current rate.
Problem is large number of "Private" consultants brought in to advise staff how to do the work should be done. And being paid very well.
And senior managers who have no idea what happens at the desk and telling you how you should work.
Old 14 October 2007, 12:59 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fast bloke
That depends how you qualify 'earn'. My wife is public sector. She can 'earn' twice as much in private sector, but when you take benefits and pension into consideration she would have to earn near enough 3 times as much to buy the benefits that public sector provides 'for free'*

* 'for free' means that the tax paying sucker pays instead
erm, quite!

and how about this, you could not make it up!
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sp...als.3353454.jp

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ne...-of.2992758.jp

oh, and my favorite
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ne...000.3362315.jp

The lunatics have taken our the asylum and set up their own pay and conditions just to suit themselves - who pays - WE DO!!!

Last edited by The Zohan; 14 October 2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 14 October 2007, 01:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It must be said that those in authority are pretty good at organising their final pay offs and pensions.

I bet they sleep at nights too, with permanent grins on their faces!

Les
Old 14 October 2007, 01:27 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Care to give an example or two? Think you'll find that most council tax rates across the country are pretty much inline with inflation despite massive cuts imposed on us by central government.

Well, would you want a 65 year old fireman trying to rescue you from the 20th floor of a burning building?

Age of retirement varies across the different public sector organisations but I think you'll find most is inline with the private sector...

and you'll find that public sector employees are also losing out on final salary schemes.

Im all for critisising the public sector - 10 years in it and I'm spoilt for choice on where to start so please try to get your facts right
Hmmmmmm, me get my facts right? Let's see. A cursory search brings us the fact that "Average council tax bills have risen by 111% in Wales between 1997-98 and 2007-08 and by 95% in England". A tad more than in line with inflation I'd say.

And this gem: "Current members of the health, education and civil service schemes will retain their right to retire at 60.

However, the pension age for new entrants into the public sector will be 65 from next year.

Unions representing over 3 million public sector workers had threatened to go on strike if the government’s proposal to increase the pension age to 65 was introduced."

I don't remember any agreement I had with Alan Johnson that retains my right to retire at 60, all I hear is 67 plus for private sector workers.The rush to close final salary schemes is much more advanced in the private sector than it is in the public sector I'm sure you'll also find.

Perhaps you'd like to get your facts straight

Taxes have been ramped up significantly to pay for a burgeoning and inefficient public sector. Point in case your 65 year old fireman, sorry, fireperson. I doubt there would be any left in the service at the age of 65 due to the barmy practices they have to work under these days.

Have the affront to turn a torch on a load of gay doggers from the fire truck an expect to be laid off or transferred after an investigation by the homophobic and sexual orientation compliance officer.
Old 15 October 2007, 10:04 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Simple solution - make them your clients.
They pay well, on time and have some very interesting projects on the go!
Old 15 October 2007, 10:09 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

:
Council tax revenue in 1997 - £5billion
Council revenue today - £27 Billion

That's not inflationary.

(That's not to say I agree with the original post, I don't)

Last edited by PeteBrant; 15 October 2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 15 October 2007, 10:27 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Hmmm. This is not specific to the public sector. I've only worked for private companies and all have the same problem to a greater or lesser extent. My current company is one of the former - hence why I'll be out of here soon.

In fact, the surveys I've seen show that your manager is the reason most people get another job. If the public sector is so bad for that the staff turnover figures should be fairly high. What are they?

Dave
It is more prevelant in the public sector due to promotions and career progression based on how long you have been there rather than your abilities and what you can bring to the job - imho. Not in all cases but a lot of it goes on nevertheless.

Having done a lot of work for several councils and the LGA i have experienced thiis first hand on a lot more than one occasion