Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ownership in common

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2007, 07:58 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ownership in common

Anyone have any idea's on land terminology?

Basically we live on a little street in a rural area,there is only 2 houses on it and it isnt maintained by anybody but us?
The street does have a name and has a single streetlamp at one end,this just lights up a lawned area,that has grown through lack of use.
The street is just one car wide and is open at either end,but is pretty much impassable due to its position and condition.
We(us and nextdoor) park directly outside our front doors.The previous 2 owners of our houses have also done this,and this spans back approx 20yrs+.
Apparrently the little strip of land that is outside our house that we maintain,is classed as ours and we are owners in common..

A 3rd party that lives around the corner has now started pulling there face at our parking(even though nothing has chenged for years)..

Before i go out and give a solicitor a load of cash,can anyone give me any info on this kind of street,ie it isnt maintained by local authority and any rights or wrongs that i may be doing..??

I realise that its a minefield but any helpful info would be appreciated..

TIA
Old 06 October 2007, 12:31 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Are your houses freehold and is the little strip of land freehold? From what you say it sounds like leasehold with an easment on the strip of land.. Check that the people round the corner don't have an easment as well. If they don't you can tell them to fek off. If they do and you are parking on the bit covered by the easment then it would be easier to be nice to them, but if it gets down to a court decision they will be told to fek off anyway. Ideally you could give us a map defining the common tenancies/ownerships to get a proper answer
Old 06 October 2007, 07:54 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Both ours and next doors property are freehold.As for the land outside im not sure.Ultimately i would have thought it belongs to the local authority,as it used to be a street around 100yrs ago with a farm at one end.
Not sure what you mean by easement,but the person complaining has absolutely nothing to do with this piece of land whatsoever.
The situation arose when we(me and next door) has parked our cars for the evening.
This person then came wandering past with 2 children and one in a pram,she struggled to get the pram passed our cars(the street really is that narrow!!!!).
This is where the problem began,she started to scream that its a public right of way and she shouldnt have to struggle.I became a bit shirty and said,that of course i would not park outside my own house on the off chance that she may want to get passed.
Hardly anyone uses the street(if i see one person a week,its unusual),as there is proper access with pavements and a tarmac road with 30secs of our street,this runs in parallel with us,so the end up in the same place within 50metres.

As for the map,i would gladly let you have a look..Not sure how i would get this too you with a detailed explanation of whats going on though.If you have a suggestion,let me know.

Thanks again

Gary
Old 06 October 2007, 08:40 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

google maps? whats your postcode?
Old 06 October 2007, 01:58 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

PM sent,

Just been on Google maps and it gives a nice overview on Hybrid maps..
Cant seem to save image though....
Old 06 October 2007, 02:36 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Looks liek from the map (if i have got the right place) that she is just being a pain in the **** on purpose, I cant see any resaon to go down there unless you live there

It looks like an unadopted road from google maps which normally has a sign saying "Private Road" but if you put one of them up she will probably kick it over by the sounds of it. If you see her again just tell her its a private road and trespasers may be shot!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	googlemaps.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	949  
Old 06 October 2007, 02:59 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Thanks,

Will highlight where i live and park hen i get 2 mins later.
Old 06 October 2007, 05:12 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

The X is my house,the O(or squarish blob) is where the car is parked.If the shot was zoomed out a little,it shows one end goes to a farm track and the other to Padfield main Rd.At this end it cannot be passed due to gradient and its all to grass..

Cheers

HTH