Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Will Gordon call a general election this years?

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2007, 08:53 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will Gordon call a general election this years?

Will he, won't he, do you care?

Have your opinions been changed since the big three's party conferences over the last three weeks. Did Cameroons speach Wednesday make an impression, Did Mong make any sense or is flash the man for the job?

Crunch vote gamble for Brown complicated by polls - Yahoo! News UK

Look like Browns lead is being eaten away...
Old 05 October 2007, 08:55 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Fingers crossed eh.
Still only a 2 horse race, but conferences never really do much for me. Seems like too much of a knees up.

Would like to see Labour go this time, but lets see eh.
Old 05 October 2007, 08:56 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I think he's got to - he knows the economy built on sand is going to completely collapse before the next offical election date, but now its looking like quite a few people might have realised this, so he risks being kicked out early if he calls a snap election.

He needs to do something to make him popular, then quickly get an election set - thats his only chance.
Old 05 October 2007, 09:01 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So flash has lost 7 points of his lead in one week......

That was careless of him!
Old 05 October 2007, 09:01 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I dunno, but I want him out!
Old 05 October 2007, 09:02 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Would be nice but I somehow doubt he will tbh.
Old 05 October 2007, 09:08 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

He blew it big time when he nipped out to Iraq to try and take Cameron off the front pages. Even the great British public aren't that stupid and it's dawning on them that he's just another spin guy like the rest of them. Plus they realise that the only reason he might call an election is for selfish - I wanna stay at no 10 - reasons.

Bring back Hague

I always smile when I hear him being interviewed and he often starts his answer with "Now I want to be honest about this........."

er well yes

Last edited by David Lock; 05 October 2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05 October 2007, 09:08 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

And Labour will secretly change the law again so they win....
Old 05 October 2007, 09:10 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
His ego won't let him call an election. After waiting for over 10 years to be PM he wouldn't want to go down as the shortest serving PM in British history. Especially as he wasn't elected to be PM in the first place (by the electorate that is).

Dave
I do wonder them same thing, having spent 10 years in the shadow of the grinning ****ehawk and then just getting has hands on the controls. To risk having it taken away would be a worry and a huge humilliation for him it it was the case. I wonder if he is the bigger man and has faith in himself and his party. After all if they have done such a good job and made the difference and delivered on all of their promises then he should not have anything to worry about. Whilst he was not in charge for the last ten years he was second in command and must have had influence.
Old 05 October 2007, 09:11 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Polls are less than accurate measures, as we all know. However, there was always going to be a bounce after the Conservative party conference, just as there was after for each of the other parties respectively.

Will he call an election? I am not sure that he will. He will certainly lose face by not calling it, but I am sure people will tell him better to lose face, than your job.

It's a question of what is the best outcome you can have - Can he beat the 30 or so majority he would end up with if he called an election in November (if the polls are correct) , by calling it later?
Old 05 October 2007, 09:13 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Can't be hard to beat Cameron though can it?

Not that I would vote for any of these three
Old 05 October 2007, 09:15 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
Can't be hard to beat Cameron though can it?

Not that I would vote for any of these three
But if not the big three (well, big two really, LD's do not have a hope in hell IMHO) then who, any other party would be a wasted vote?!?
Old 05 October 2007, 09:31 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
But if not the big three (well, big two really, LD's do not have a hope in hell IMHO) then who, any other party would be a wasted vote?!?
If the usual disappointment unfolds at the polling station ie just the three,Cameron gets my vote.

If there is one of my favoured options,then I will take it.The three need to have a kick up the bum.Endlessly promising 'tough on crime'(amongst other things) and not doing it starts to grate

I think an awful lot of people feel the same.Thank got the Tories kicked the green nonsense into touch though
Old 05 October 2007, 09:42 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Brown is now damned:

- If he calls an election he proves he's a fool that will risk it all on the roll of a dice and risks going down in history as the shortest serving PM.

- If he doesn't call an election then he proves that he knows he'll lose therefore he'll cling onto power by his fingernails despite the public not wanting hm there.

Either way, he's doomed.
Old 05 October 2007, 09:47 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I despise labour, but if GB does lose the election (if and when it occurs) at least he can say it was all of TB's doing.....
Old 05 October 2007, 10:12 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't think he will! why should he? he has just got the top job and has 2 years left to run in it before he needs to run the risk of losing it, so he would be stupid to call an election and risk losing his cushy new job.
Old 05 October 2007, 10:27 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

There isn't really a risk to his job. That's why he is considering calling one. THe polls suggest a reduced majority for Labour, but still a working one. The Tories are much closer than the were, but not close enough - Certainly not close enough to win outright.
Old 05 October 2007, 11:13 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

If the Tories had the ***** to borrow some UKIP anti-Europe policies I reckon that could tip the balance. d
Old 05 October 2007, 11:34 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
There isn't really a risk to his job. That's why he is considering calling one. THe polls suggest a reduced majority for Labour, but still a working one. The Tories are much closer than the were, but not close enough - Certainly not close enough to win outright.
Pete, you know how inaccurate the polls are. Lots of people are embarrassed to vote Tory and won't admit it to a pollster, but they still do.
Old 05 October 2007, 11:41 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Pete, you know how inaccurate the polls are. Lots of people are embarrassed to vote Tory and won't admit it to a pollster, but they still do.
Yup, that's true enough. But assuming he is basing his decision on whether to go to the Queen or not on the polls, then there is nothing there that will particularly scare him. I mean last week there was a significant Labour lead, this week thety a relevel in some and only a couple of points in the others. Next week it will be completely different again.

I just don't see a consistant Tory lead - Look at the polls in 1997 - Labour way ahead in the polls and got a Landslide. If the Tories were going to get in power, you would expect at least some polls to have them out in front, and with a significant lead - As it stands, that simply isn't happening.
Old 05 October 2007, 12:31 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Vote for the greens. It would be interesting to see what they do with all the real issues.

"We are closing all the overcrowded prisons - criminals will now be chained to trees surrounding the Newbury bypass for the duration"

"We are abolishing speed cameras - Anyone caught in possesion of a car will be chained to the fence at Heathrow"

"We are abolishing the economy. Everyone should live of the land in a mud hut. You don't need jobs or houses"
Old 05 October 2007, 12:39 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Vote for the greens. It would be interesting to see what they do with all the real issues.

"We are closing all the overcrowded prisons - criminals will now be chained to trees surrounding the Newbury bypass for the duration"

"We are abolishing speed cameras - Anyone caught in possesion of a car will be chained to the fence at Heathrow"

"We are abolishing the economy. Everyone should live of the land in a mud hut. You don't need jobs or houses"

not forgetting the important one... Band F/G cars eh!

I think Hague is great, now he is out of the spot light, he would be great on Catchphrase, says exactly what he sees

I wanna see Brown lose and get junked, for the same reason most others do.
Bring in one man, one vote and see who wins the next election
Old 05 October 2007, 12:47 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Bring in one man, one vote and see who wins the next election
What system do we have at the moment, then?
Old 05 October 2007, 12:48 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

I can't believe I just wasted 1/2 hour of my life reading the Green Party's defence... sorry, "peace" policy link. Never read such a load of twaddle in all my life with the exception of their ecconomic policy - yup, they are going to print money and give it away
Old 05 October 2007, 12:55 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Green Party
PD301 We would promote town twinning, exchange visits, pen friend schemes and Internet-based methods for learning about other countries and cultures by direct contact.
So any attempt to **** with the UK will result in retaliation with immediate mass spamming.
Old 05 October 2007, 12:58 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

"Internet based methods for learning about other countries."

Is that not called Google?
Old 05 October 2007, 01:06 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

TR310 Vehicles would not be permitted for road use that had the ability to travel at greater speeds than the majority of EU national maximum speed levels.
That's just about everything then?
Old 05 October 2007, 01:09 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
What system do we have at the moment, then?
Slightly more flawed than some would believe.

Everyone gets a vote, yes.
BUT

The votes are totalled and the overall election win is based on seats.
Sadly some wards have 5000 people in them, and some 50,000. Even though the second has 10 times the number of voters, the ward is still worth 1 seat.

So, 100,000 votes from 20 wards.
75,000 could come come from 5 wards, the remaining 25,000 from 15 wards.

In otherwords, 65% of the population could vote Tory, and based on number of seats etc, Labour could still win by a majority.
Old 05 October 2007, 01:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think Petem is the closest to the truth of it all. His economy is a house of cards and a lie since it has all been done by constantly borrowing money at a higher rate than ever before. Also the people in this country have been encouraged to borrow themselves into very high levels of debt due to artificially low interest rates.

This sort of thing cannot be maintained for ever and I believe that the time for the cards to be called in won't be all that long.

He must have flogged off half our gold reserves at a bottom price in a panic to try and maintain the general deception over the economy. Where will we be if his creepy replacement decides to sell the other half?

I gather that gold prices are at the highest levels for 20 odd years now. So all that money of ours that he lost was only to save his skin at our expense!

Only he will know if he will go for an Autumn election, but he may well be forced to before it all turns to worms!

Les

Quick Reply: Will Gordon call a general election this years?