Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How the hell can it smell SO bad!

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2007, 11:17 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How the hell can it smell SO bad!

A puppy fart for christ sakes !

I thought I could make a bad smell after a curry or cabbage / sprouts, but JESUS CHRIST !!!

The lil one (pup) has been droppin them almost non stop for 2 days now. Unphased by it, but for me, I have to cover my face lol

PROPER rank!
Old 02 October 2007, 11:18 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Now I think he is against me.... he is currently sleeping under the desk keeping my feet warm. As I pressed "enter" he sneezed..... and followed up with.......... a fart !!!

HELP ME !!

Cant wait til he moves outside lol
Old 02 October 2007, 11:26 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Use a cork

Not all of them!

let it out for a crap
Old 02 October 2007, 11:28 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol if I use a cork he will explode.
He has had one, well a couple since I got home. Nice firm ones lol nothing wrong in there, other than the smell.

Time to take him out again I think.
Old 02 October 2007, 11:31 PM
MK5
Scooby Regular

maybe he needs a change of diet....?
Old 02 October 2007, 11:35 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Buddy has a Staffy and by Christ that dog stinks.

i swear its terrible. it makes me sick and thats saying something.

It just sits there after its farted looks up as if to say 'dont like it?, blow me'.
Old 02 October 2007, 11:50 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I'd rather smell your dogs farts than my cats ear. He has mites, it is rank. Hopefully the drops will work soon. eewwwwwwww
Old 03 October 2007, 01:07 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Change its diet

Scooby farts and Donna cant stand the smell, I fart and she cant stand the smell (doesnt help when I 'throw' them at her though )

P1mark with Sonic dog had problems with bad farts (sonic dog not Mark and he changed the diet and found something that has helped a lot

When we had Sonic Dog, he was worse than Scooby & me put together
Old 03 October 2007, 07:00 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's the solid matter that did it for me on Monday. I'd unknowingly stepped in it as I got into the car to go to work. I kept wondering what the smell was. It got so bad that I had to open the window even though it was frosty out. I saw the mess on the carpet when I got out the car.
Anyway, it turned out to be a warm sunny day and the dog egg had time to warm up and permeate it's aroma all round the car. So at the end of the shift I had no choice but to suffer it. I was physically sick after about 10 minutes driving. Luckily there wasn't a car behind me at the time, but I think I sprayed an oncoming car.
After cleaning it as best I could (not to mention losing my dinner again) the car now smells like a combination of doggy mess and fabreze (I thought that was supposed to mask nasty smells).
Old 03 October 2007, 09:00 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Change his diet? Cos he farts? Naaa.
He is healthy and happy, just gassy lol. Vet not concerned by it.

He is on Arden Grange food, which his parents and gramps have been raised on too. No intolorances apparent.
If he was fartin and it was squirting out, then I would consider it.

Saying that for the past couple of days he had some Royal Canin mixed in to bulk it out as we were running low and waiting on a delivery.
Back on Arden today so hopefully that will change things

Scunnered, I know the feelin mate. Had a GSD/Rotty X drop his guts in liquid form in the back of the van once. I got a "ring" side view, in the rearview mirror, and it was not solid. Sadly on the motorway, so had to put up with it for 20-30 mins. Eeeew!

84, cats ear sounds painful mate
Old 03 October 2007, 09:12 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Hm, would help if I read the post a bit better..
Old 03 October 2007, 10:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Puppy/dog farts? Pah, nothing mate.

Feed it CAT food for a couple of days, then stand back

My Alsation once had a sh*t after he'd been eating Vitalin, (nasty stuff), and a group of teenaged girls outide the local offy, keeled over

Alcazar
Old 03 October 2007, 10:54 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol its funny you should say that. Fully grown they have quite a thing for cats and small animals. Pulling them apart anyway.

lol@ the girls keeling over, sounds about right.

Pimmo, that dont sound good, how old and how long you had her?

Billy...........eh?
Old 03 October 2007, 11:28 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I've just changed my puppies diet and she is like a running tape at the moment, her farts stink and the trail of watery poo doesnt smell to nice either!!
Pimmo, from what and to what? You have a puppy there that needs good food for maximum return.

Snazy, I would have said your puppies diet sounds too rich but if you are feeding it Arden Grange then you are pretty well on the best in my opinion. Which AG are you feeding him?

Mixing 2 brands isn't the best idea though and could well have 'overdosed' him on certain ingredients causing him to fart. My AG is delivered a couple of days after ordering online, so running out is a lame excuse when you have a little chap depending on you.

Feeding puppies and adult dogs isn't just a case of putting out things for them to eat if you want the best from them though, it's a very common misconception indeed and more people should take it seriously.
Old 03 October 2007, 11:34 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Shes 13 weeks and I've had her since 24th august.

She was living on raw meat and seemed to not being putting any weight on.. have to convince her to eat. Got some puppy food and dried feed mixed together and she loves it.. builder her nicely.. but shes got a bad tummy.. I'm gonna give it a few more days.
The BARF diet is great but you really need to be an expert to know how and what to feed and in what quantities before you go down that route with a new puppy. In addition to just raw meat you need to add all manner of vitamins and supplements to allow your puppy to have the correct ingredients for a healthy life.

I also hope you have bought her Large Breed puppy food and not just puppy food.
Old 03 October 2007, 11:38 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol Spoon....

We picked the dog up last Wednesday, made the order Saturday, for the first order, and believing there were local outlets (which turned out wrong) so its hardly "lame" Give us a chance eh

He is currently on AG Puppy Weaning as solid, not porridge. On recommendation from the breeder, we are slowly introducing AG Prestige to this, allowing for a change over.

The choice to mix was a desperate one after being told by a shop they had stock, arriving their only to find puppy junior, and no puppy weaning.

Its all being taken seriously, but has been a bit of a rush if im honest. Following the breeder giving short notice we were ok to collect. From this point in, we have over 30kg of food in, and like you, order direct and get it within 2 days

Im pretty confident it was the RC that was doing it. Will monitor him over the coming couple of days and see how he goes

Lots of talk of raw (BARF) on the forum I use, but again the breeder has said she feels that unless you have the time to do it right, its not worth doing.
Old 03 October 2007, 11:50 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Read the post above yours
I did and that's why I quoted it? It still doesn't answer the questions though.
Old 03 October 2007, 11:51 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Pimmo, what are you feeding her now ? As in brand and variety.
Old 03 October 2007, 11:58 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
lol Spoon....

We picked the dog up last Wednesday, made the order Saturday, for the first order, and believing there were local outlets (which turned out wrong) so its hardly "lame" Give us a chance eh

He is currently on AG Puppy Weaning as solid, not porridge. On recommendation from the breeder, we are slowly introducing AG Prestige to this, allowing for a change over.

The choice to mix was a desperate one after being told by a shop they had stock, arriving their only to find puppy junior, and no puppy weaning.

Its all being taken seriously, but has been a bit of a rush if im honest. Following the breeder giving short notice we were ok to collect. From this point in, we have over 30kg of food in, and like you, order direct and get it within 2 days

Im pretty confident it was the RC that was doing it. Will monitor him over the coming couple of days and see how he goes

Lots of talk of raw (BARF) on the forum I use, but again the breeder has said she feels that unless you have the time to do it right, its not worth doing.
The more serious nature of this post helps clarify things.

Barf is great but you do need to spend time preparing meals and then freezing them for stock. Then there's the ordering the ingredients and storing them in large quantities if you don't want to be 'cooking' every night for your dog/s.
Old 03 October 2007, 12:14 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
The more serious nature of this post helps clarify things.

Barf is great but you do need to spend time preparing meals and then freezing them for stock. Then there's the ordering the ingredients and storing them in large quantities if you don't want to be 'cooking' every night for your dog/s.
Sorry mate, didnt mean to come across cocky earlier
Just one of those things, you think you have everything sorted out, and forget to enquire about diet in time to order before the dogs arrival.
Everything else was sorted, from water bowls to a new car and transit cage, and I forgot........... food! Duh.

Puppy pack had what appeared to be enough to keep us going til we could get some in, but lying pet shops dont help too much when they tell you they have stock. Finally ordered direct from AG, and it arrived yesterday.

The basic chat about BARF on the Mal forum suggests its easy and simple. But careful research shows its actually quite difficult to get the right balance, and as you have said its quite time consuming too. No point feeling your doing the right thing and cutting corners, and getting it all wrong.
Old 03 October 2007, 12:28 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Sorry mate, didnt mean to come across cocky earlier
It wasn't cocky, Snaz, I just sensed it was slightly dismissive of what a puppy fart might mean. Farts are funny, just ask my good lady who'd rather watch and listen to an hour of farting then any soap.

Trouble is in a tiny puppy they can lead to all sorts of complications that can be alleviated or eradicated depending on diet.

I'm sure you'll keep your eye on him as he deserves the best and an AG should help.
Old 03 October 2007, 12:34 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
It wasn't cocky, Snaz, I just sensed it was slightly dismissive of what a puppy fart might mean. Farts are funny, just ask my good lady who'd rather watch and listen to an hour of farting then any soap.

Trouble is in a tiny puppy they can lead to all sorts of complications that can be alleviated or eradicated depending on diet.

I'm sure you'll keep your eye on him as he deserves the best and an AG should help.
Cheers mate

On a serious note, im doing research daily to make sure the lil fella gets what he is worth, and thats a whole bunch. I want a healthy happy dog

I will keep an eye on him and update the thread over the next couple of days to see how he gets on, but putting 2 and 2 together, the timing of the farts starting and the change of diet, cross over perfectly.

No more messing with his tum tum from now on in. Now to see when he is ready to switch to the Prestige.
Breeder recommends against puppy junior based on it not containing enough oils, which causes them issues with their skin, so im happy to accept her recommendations.
Im thinking of waiting another 2-3 weeks til everything has settled down, he has started spending time outside in the run, and is not upset, before making any adjustments to his diet. Then I can be sure what is causing what. If that makes sense.

Once he is settled in the run, the plan is to use the AG recommended introduction of the next food, percentage mix at a time.
Old 03 October 2007, 01:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our manky old Spaniel (verteran of many a thread on here) is still going and she honks.

Cheese, egg, farts, fish and more recently rotting flesh type smells, plain old wet dog smell would be great in comparison.

I bathed her last weekend and she smells as bad as ever, she has benign fatty lumps that ooze and they smell like they are rotting, vet says to leave them as the op would kill her (and the expense would kill me). She also has evil breath despite fairly clean teeth which are much better when you chisel the brown crud off them.

I am getting sick of it now, get home and get greeted by the smell of dead dog, trouble is she seems happy enough, eats well and sleeps all the time, cant get her put to sleep cos she stinks, cant be long now, blind, deaf, lumpy, bewilldered and 14.5 years old.

She went all wobbly earlier this year, couldnt stand up, back legs quivering, but rallied to make a full recovery.

Good but to be honest I have had enough, not nice finding dog ooze on the carpet.
Old 03 October 2007, 01:43 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
She went all wobbly earlier this year, couldnt stand up, back legs quivering, but rallied to make a full recovery.

Good but to be honest I have had enough, not nice finding dog ooze on the carpet.
my last spaniel did that, steroid injections helped it out but had to have it put to sleep few months after, that was 14 and had internal bleeding. Dog was too weak to survive an op so had no alternative. One of the worst days of my life

Back to the topic, I use the Arden grange stuff as well for my 18month old springer, quality food in my opinion, gives good solid stools but the f@rts do still smell

she likes the salmon flavour at the moment, which reminds me I need to order some more!!
Old 03 October 2007, 01:50 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
my last spaniel did that, steroid injections helped it out but had to have it put to sleep few months after, that was 14 and had internal bleeding. Dog was too weak to survive an op so had no alternative. One of the worst days of my life

Back to the topic, I use the Arden grange stuff as well for my 18month old springer, quality food in my opinion, gives good solid stools but the f@rts do still smell

she likes the salmon flavour at the moment, which reminds me I need to order some more!!
lol glad the post served as a reminder for you
So for those using AG, what did you use from puppyhood. Which varieties.
Old 03 October 2007, 01:55 PM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem with my dog, he would do and leave the room leaving hubby to get the blame...

I changed his food from meat mixed with a buscuit mixer to a pouch of nature diet and that seemed to stop the problem.. I always wean and bring any litters of our pups up on it or dried food as meat always makes the poo really soft and makes them pass wind alot..I also add 1 capsule of cod liver oil to their feed once a day which gives their coats amazing condition.

Not only that the tins of meat are just full of water and after my hubby telling me what goes into it i really didnt want to think of my dogs eating that garbage..

Last edited by staffy-bull; 03 October 2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03 October 2007, 02:19 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I'll take the advice of the breeder over yourself, no offence mate.
Offence taken. Next time you email me or PM asking for advice you know the answer then don't you. It sounds to me like you've not taken a scrap of notice of what I've already said anyway. Also I doubt you are following the breeders advice properly, judging by your lack of answer to my last question, hence your last dismissive reply as a cover.

As I know the breeder in question and spent time talking to her on your behalf to buy the dog you have now, I can safely say I wasted more time.

Still, you live and learn, constantly.
Old 03 October 2007, 03:03 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Pimmo I think the concern is with the current tummy condition the pup is in. How long has it been like that for?
If its not getting on with BARF then it needs to be taken off it until you can identify what the cause of the runny bum is.

It is tough getting conflicting info and advice though.
Not saying anything against Spoon as I dont know the background and you seem to know your stuff. But on the Mal forum, there is so much conflict and cattyness its crazy. And almost impossible to get a straight answer.
Old 03 October 2007, 03:11 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

but I can’t keep taking little bits from everyone.
In life, Pimmo, you choose who to listen to and who not to. A simple email/pm to me is far easier than asking the breeder and dare I say it, the better option.

However, you have chosen, good luck. Had you listened to me then I'm fairly sure, if it is only her diet, your little girl wouldn't have the runs now. I also doubt, with all due respect, that the breeders advice has been followed because if you're saying you've fed her solely on raw (chicken wings I suspect) then the breeders would have pointed out that isn't enough on it's own. Get her on a dry 'Large Breed' puppy kibble now. You can mix a bit of wet tinned meat in if you like to help her eat it, although this has no nutritional benefit.

I could go into the complexities of protein percentages and not over doing it in the food. Your puppy needs to grow but steadily to prevent pano..........

I have a 14 month old dog here from the same breeder that was fed my way and hasn't had the runs once. That of course is after many years of experience in GSD diets.
Old 03 October 2007, 03:17 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Oh right, sorry Pimmo, I got the impression the tummy was an ongoing thing.
Never experienced fussy eating that being hungry didnt sort out, but know full well it exists, so good luck sorting that out.

Hope for the pup's sake it all works out soon for you

I would have to agree with a sudden change to a good dry kibble too, if she dont eat, hunger usually does get the better of them. If her tum sorts out and she starts eating properly then reconsider BARF

But as you say, too many cooks and all that, so hope the puppy sorts herself out soon.

Quick Reply: How the hell can it smell SO bad!