Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

My rights regarding a faulty vehicle.Pls read

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2007, 11:29 AM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My rights regarding a faulty vehicle.Pls read

Sorry that this is so long, I need to tell the whole story though.
Please read on if you are any good with consumer rights, trading standards etc

I want to know if I have any power to do something about this situation.

I will start back in April when this car was bought, second hand from a large garage that has a couple of branches.
I agreed a deal and collected the car two weeks after I paid the deposit.
This two weeks was to give them time to have it valeted and checked over.

On the date of collection I arrived at the garage and did the paper work etc.
The first problem was that the air suspension was faulty, the sales man had noticed this as he brought it round to the door. As they are not a dealer for this make of car they said I would have to take it to my nearest Landrover garage of my convenience to have it re set.

I got the vehicle home and on the journey back to the house I found the air con was not working.
I did my own checks and there were none of the usual faults.
So I reported this back to the sales man in the garage and it was sorted out that it was to be checked while in at the Landrover dealer for the Suspension reset.

Fast forward to the day when the vehicle was in for suspension reset and air con fault.
The outcome, suspension was reset and air con has no gas in the system.
News was reported directly back to the garage i bought it from.
I was to return the car to them and have it re gassed.

Mean while as I am driving the car for the days in between the diagnosis and the arranged date of repair I noticed the squeaking coming from the suspension on the rear, like a dry bush.
I went under the backend, armed with a tin of WD40 to spray all the bushes and see if it would shut it up. Nothing obvious noted. I looked under the front of the car and straight away I found a bush that was hanging out of the lower arm. Alarm bells started to ring!!
I proceed to check the whole car over as a precautionary measure.
I found that the wing mirrors were faulty. Not operating with the memory settings and not folding in etc.

I was left wondering how a vehicle that had just come through an MOT and pre delivery inspection could have so many faults.

I called the garage and told them what I had found.
At this stage the car was still waiting to go in for the Air con to be fixed (re gassed) so they said they would check it all over at the same time.
Could I leave the car with them for a few days in case they needed to order parts and fit them.I was not able to get a courtesy car from them as there were none.
I arranged my own vehicle to cover me for a few days while it was away, inconvenient, however I just wanted it sorted once and for all.
This car had cost the best part of 30K and is for my wife and newborn baby to use every day. I just want it right.

So, a few days go by and the car was supposed to be ready for the Thursday after being dropped off on the Monday.
Thursday comes and I get the phone call.
The air con has been re gassed. I ask why did it need regassed. If its dry there must be a leak. We will keep an eye on it then sir.
Next, the bushes have been replace by Landrover as it needed special tools and they also checked out the mirrors.
You need a new mirror on the o/s. Okay, that not a problem is it as it was faulty when you sold it to me.
They agree that it will be sorted out but it wont be for a day or two as it needs an assessor to look at it and let the repair go ahead.
I ask what the assessor has to do with it as its not a warranty claim. IT WAS SOLD LIKE THIS!!
He trys to explain that its the way it works. I cant figure out what the hell he is on about and tell him to get it done asap.

By now I have gone off to work inb Norway for a month. Leaving my wife with the borrowed Shogun of our good friend.

A week passes almost and there is no contact from the garage.
I make the call on the following Thursday to find out what is happening.
The part has just come in and will be getting fitted later today sir.
I have them call me as soon as its ready so I can let my wife know and get it collected.
Friday passes and no call.
I call them on the Saturday and had to get sharp with them.
I asked them to have the car delivered to our house (50 miles from the garage) and dont mess about. Have it there before mid day or else.

They manage to do the deed and I receive a call from my wife that afternoon.
Guess what!!
Mirrors still dont work properly, they have damaged the paint work on the bonnet next to the mirror. The steering wheel wont sit straight and there is a dust cap missing from the rear wheel that was off.

I could have exploded with anger at the incompetent fools.

I was now out at sea and didnt want to try and speak to these tools over the satellite phones that have the time delays, it would just pi55 me off even more.
I e mailed the sales man and workshop manager with the troubles, I said I would be right in with the car as soon as I came home in about three weeks.
It was left at that.

Mean while my wife was using the car , just for local trips to the shops etc.
The car at this point has probably done just under 1000 miles since its MOT and since we picked it up.
Its been in their workshop for almost two weeks and has been in a garage twice, it now requires a third trip to have the original fault rectified and also new ones they have caused.

A few days before I am due to return to the Uk I get a a call in the evening from my wife. She has broken down about 20 miles from home.The car wont drive, it just made a loud noise and rev'd up before coming to a halt.
She is recovered to home by the AA and I arrange for our friends jeep to be used until I return home at the weekend.

I return home to find the front Diff has packed in and requires replacement.
I call the garage and can only get the sales man. He is apologetic but says he can do nothing as the workshop is closed.
He advises I call the warranty company (The AA ) and arrange for them to inspect it and have it repaired.

Here we bloody well go I think. This will take for ever.
I make a few calls and source the parts I need.
Front diff and front shaft plus some odds n sodds.
I collect them and fit them ASAP on the Saturday as we need to get the loan car back to our friend.
Parts cost me about £300 IIRC and it took half a day or so to fit them.

The car is drive-able and I take it back to the garage.
Now the manager is out and is pi55ed off with the whole thing. Makes me feel like an inconvenience but is more pi55ed off at his workshop for fooking up so much.
I ask how come it came through an MOT and workshop inspection with so many faults, especially the bushes that were faulty.
He can't answer me and is apologetic.

He asks if he can get an hour or so to sort out the steering wheel line and also the damaged paint on the corner of the bonnet.
At this point I also mention that I paid £250 for the interior to be give some kind of treatment, Silver Seal I think it is.
I ask him how its done and point out that it would probably be best that the car was clean before it was applied. He agrees. I then show him all the dirty areas on the leather. Back of the rear head rests, under the steering column.
Again he has no answer but offers that I come back another day and have it re valeted and sealed. I tell hims it's a waste of time as its over a 100 mile round trip!!!
Anyway, he gives us a crappy Nissan thing to take to the shops for a few hours and to return when they call and say its fixed.
We return about 3 hours later and are greeted by them manager and workshop manager.
They have found a crappy looking cap that fits the rear wheel locking nut , painted the bonnet with a touch up pen and as for the steering , its the best they can do I am told.
As for the mirrors, they will need to seek advice from Landrover.
Fair enough I said. We needed to get home at this point as the little girl is playing up.

On the way home I find that the steering is still off line!!!!! Argggh

A few days go by and one day I go out to start the car and its dead. Click click, the usual stuff.
I charge the battery up over night and it starts up fine.
Problem, no electric windows, locking , alarm etc.
Holy cow!!! How long is this going to go on for. Fault after fault.

I call the garage again to see what they are able to do about it.
I get a call back. The Landrover garage can have a look at it but they dont know when. Drop it off and they will try and get to it this week. What!!!!
Leave the car there all week and no courtesy car again!!
I ask them to try harder, they say its the best they can do.

I decided to call the other Land Rover dealer that just along the road in the other direction.
No problem sir, bring it in and we will try to get you sorted out on the day. No courtesy car available but they can do it quickly. Great.
I called the garage back and told them the news.
I asked them what to do regarding payment for the inspection/repair.
The manager relays the message through his workshop manager that I can pay for it myself as they have tried their best to help me.
Severely pi55ed of by now, I just go ahead and get the work done anyway and hope to sort it out at a later date.
The car goes in and receives a health check along with full diagnostics.
They have to do a few upgrades to the software on the suspension and other bits n bobs, even the TV was needing work done.
So, happy ending. They give me a great bill for under £100 , I was amazed and over the moon at having it repaired once snd for all.

The report on the steering and mirrors was that I needed a four wheel alignment done and a new O/S mirror this time.
They also noticed I needed a new tilt motor for the steering column.

The next day I called the garage that sold the car and told the workshop manager all this and he was very sheepish. He was unable to help me as the manager (who is the owner) has washed his hands of the whole affair.
I asked him to have the manager call me when he returns form his holiday as I want to take this up with him or I will seek legal advice.

That was back in June and guess what. Never got the phone call, still waiting.

The current situation is I have a car that cost me £30K and has done around 2000 miles since April and has got a list of faults.
Mirrors are faulty
Steering is off line and pulls around the road.
Air conditioning has packed in again.
Steering wheel wont tilt
I have a bill for a new front diff and shaft
I also had to pay for the suspension to be fixed properly

One last thing. I decided that I had best get it checked over for oil levels etc.
It was in the (local) garage and when the air filter was removed it was like some one had emptied a bin into it. It was as black as the ace of spades and had not been changed for a long time.
Engine oil was manky, but I cant prove its age.
This car is supposed to have been checked over and have a service before I got it.

I am sorry for the very long post, but there is no point in missing out the details that all go towards building the picture.

I simply want it sorted out so that the car I paid a lot of money for is 100% as it should be.
At the moment its not safe in my eyes due to the steering and its got a list of faults.

The fact it passed an MOT with worn bushes is bad enough.
There is also the state it left the workshop in, such as the air filter etc.

Where do I go from here as its not use speaking to the garage again.

Last edited by HI SOOB; 01 October 2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01 October 2007, 11:43 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HI SOOB
I asked him to have the manager call me when he returns form his holiday as I want to take this up with him or I will seek legal advice.
Did you do this?
Old 01 October 2007, 11:46 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Did you do this?
I'm impressed you got that far. Did my best but had to give up half-way through. No wonder Soob doesn't like using the satphones, given that he can chat for England he'd probably be stone broke by the end of that call.

Old 01 October 2007, 11:49 AM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Not taken legal advice yet.
Been on holiday and at work etc. Not had time.
Its an issue I want to get sorted out now though
Old 01 October 2007, 11:58 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Go to the CAB first before you see a vulture of a legal eagle. Decide before you go what outcome you want from this so you can discuss the viability whilst you're there.
Old 01 October 2007, 12:05 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I so feel your pain here buddy, the worst thing is frustration and the way you feel like your being mugged off.

You need to go seek legal advice NOW ! The longer you wait, the weaker the case. In the time you spent writing that, you could of spoken to CAB, or any legal representative.

You need to detail the faults, your commuincations, your telephone calls, in writing, to the garage, giving them a time to sort out, or attempt to reply. That will be the first thing they tell you.

Do a search on this site, sure this subject has been mentioned many a time. Also, another good site to search for advice is the Unknown Server Name: www.bmw3.co.uk. Some real clever sods on that site who have helped me out no end of times regarding legal situations.

On a personal note, what crazy fool buys a landrover ? Sorry mate, I like / want a range rover sport, could go and buy one now, but I know that land rover brand are absolute ****3 in regards to quality, service and reliablity.

Your best bet is to dump it, and go buy a 3.2 Shogun Warrior ! 4 door, leather, auto, reliable and soild. German or Jap, rest is crap.

Best of luck in your quest my friend, I hope you really knock them for six.

SBK
Old 01 October 2007, 12:27 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Dunno if I'm the only one that thinks this, but as far as I can see - Bottom line is that you purchased a used car from a dealer and didn't have it inspected yourself. Therefore whatever faults it may or may not have had at the time of purchase are up to you...

...fair enough, if problems then appear - due to mechanical breakdown - you should be able to get a warranty claim through. Is it still under manufacturers warranty, if so that'd be different - and I'd just get everything fixed by a Land Rover dealer. As you've been paying them I doubt it is still under warranty though.

Unless you bought it from the dealer with the full assurance that it was perfect and that absolutely everything worked properly (or that some things didn't work, which you accepted, but they failed to mention the air-con/mirrors/etc) and there were no mechanical faults at all I can't see that you, legally, really have a leg to stand on. An MOT is absolutely not an assurance that when you subsequently purchase a car with one, it's roadworthy to any degree!!!

On a new car it'd be reasonable to moan about the steering wheel being straight - on a used car that's a joke!

Concerning the mirrors and tilt motor etc. - I'm concerned that (even though you obviously didn't get an independant inspection) you didn't even sit in the car and play with all the switches etc. to ensure that it all worked to your satisfaction before doing the deal.

I'm really surprised that they've entertained your niggles this far and I think you've done very well to get the fixes/repairs out of them that you have.

Shades
Old 01 October 2007, 12:29 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

What a nightmare!
You could do a cut-and-paste of your original post and build up a letter from there!

Good luck mate.

Nick
Old 01 October 2007, 12:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

This is an awful story and I feel very sorry for all the trouble you have had.

I would certainly let them know that you want all the faults sorted out correctly at their expense and the jobs done as they should be too. Tell them that you will give them the chance to get the car to your satisfaction and if not that you will contact the lawyer and also report the condition of the suspension to the DVLC dept which deals with MOT's when it was supposed to have passed a recent test. Also tell them that you will report them to the office of fair trading and also one of those TV programmes which looks into unfair trading practices. I think you need to lay it on thick face to face with the owner of the dealership. If all that fails, insist on your money back including what you have personally spent on the car

Les
Old 01 October 2007, 12:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrShades
Dunno if I'm the only one that thinks this, but as far as I can see - Bottom line is that you purchased a used car from a dealer and didn't have it inspected yourself. Therefore whatever faults it may or may not have had at the time of purchase are up to you...

...fair enough, if problems then appear - due to mechanical breakdown - you should be able to get a warranty claim through. Is it still under manufacturers warranty, if so that'd be different - and I'd just get everything fixed by a Land Rover dealer. As you've been paying them I doubt it is still under warranty though.

Unless you bought it from the dealer with the full assurance that it was perfect and that absolutely everything worked properly (or that some things didn't work, which you accepted, but they failed to mention the air-con/mirrors/etc) and there were no mechanical faults at all I can't see that you, legally, really have a leg to stand on. An MOT is absolutely not an assurance that when you subsequently purchase a car with one, it's roadworthy to any degree!!!

On a new car it'd be reasonable to moan about the steering wheel being straight - on a used car that's a joke!

Concerning the mirrors and tilt motor etc. - I'm concerned that (even though you obviously didn't get an independant inspection) you didn't even sit in the car and play with all the switches etc. to ensure that it all worked to your satisfaction before doing the deal.

I'm really surprised that they've entertained your niggles this far and I think you've done very well to get the fixes/repairs out of them that you have.

Shades
My guess is that you are!

Do you deal in cars by the way?

Les
Old 01 October 2007, 12:45 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Not going to answer all the points that have been brought up in some of the replies, however, if I YOU were to have a car that went into a garage for a repair to the suspension and it came out needing the steering wheel alignments adjusted due to the repairs, would it not be understandable that it is a complaint???

Now, either Im thick as crap or ............!!!

And why would I have it inspected when that's the whole reason for buying from a quality garage??

The garage services it and checks it over then I have to go and get it checked over again???
Would I not have been as well to have bought private and had an private inspection done, saving me paying the garage prices???

As far as I was aware, garages have to supply a vehicle in safe road going condition.
If they say they will have it on the road as the original manufacture spec states then I would expect it to be that way.
Where would you draw the line with regards to functions or parts that do not work???

Last edited by HI SOOB; 01 October 2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01 October 2007, 12:53 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

........ - Bottom line is that you purchased a used car from a dealer and didn't have it inspected yourself. Therefore whatever faults it may or may not have had at the time of purchase are up to you...

No. That may be true for a private sale but a dealer carries a lot more legal responsibility after the sale. You need to find out exactly what these are. I think they last for about 3 months. CAB or Trading Standards will advise but it must be all over the net as well.

Plus this sounds like a main stream dealer rather than an "Arthur Daley" so he'll want to keep his reputation.
dl

Last edited by David Lock; 01 October 2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01 October 2007, 12:55 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

J,

Does the vehicle not have LR warranty ??
Old 01 October 2007, 01:00 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Geez, that is bad.

I would go and park the car at the entrance to the dealership blocking all entrance & exit and leave it there until they come and speak to you, a verbal protest would do the trick, however the actual best course is to seek legal advice, you have aright to either a replacement or a refund or the vehicle to be repaired to the acceptable condition {having gone down a similar route myself} I think it all falls into the sale of goods act 1972 iirc, fit for purpose etc.

Good luck.
Old 01 October 2007, 01:05 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
J,

Does the vehicle not have LR warranty ??
Nope, its out now.

I would like it to either be fixed to road going standard and spec or my cash back.

Thinking of going for the TDV8 now that its been tried and tested by you
Once this is sorted out I will make my move.
Old 01 October 2007, 01:16 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

TDV8 still have faults. Go to the Range rover sport forum and read what the owners say there. These car suffer from terrible electrical issues and computer issues.

I would so advise you to NOT to get another one. Perhaps a Landcruiser ?

Landrover are absolute turd, backed up by several friends that are AA patrol men who were telling me how many LR cars they have to relocate, to another friend who works in a land rover dealership who agrees.

SBK
Old 03 October 2007, 11:21 AM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Landrover might not be top of the tree when it comes to reliability. However, most of the problems I have are due to poor workmanship and not the car, as so many folk would like to shout.

I know plenty of folk with these vehicles and are more than happy with them and have never had a problem. Likewise I know folk with Audi's BMW's , etc and they have just as many problems.
If they were as bad as folk make out then I am sure they would not sell.

Anyway, on the original topic. Step one of legal advice is underway tomorrow morning.
Old 03 October 2007, 07:37 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Just a quick up date.

Went into the Landrover garage that carried out the repairs to my Range Rover on behalf of the dealer I purchased the vehicle from and asked for a print out of the work they did on the car.
I found that the Land Rover garage had reported the faulty front Diff to the dealer at the time but they obviously didn't bother fixing it. They obviously didn't want to spend the money fixing it!!!
The result was that the car only did another 300 miles before it lost all drive on the motorway, leaving my wife and 8 week old baby at the side of the motorway for a few hours.

I think my case is getting better against the garage.
Old 03 October 2007, 08:47 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

From what i see your complaints are more than justified mate and i would be speaking to my lawyer etc right now.
Old 04 October 2007, 01:53 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Shades
???????????????????????

He shouldnt expect the steering to be alligned properly because its second hand??? Have you ever been in a range rover??? (which I am guessing this is what car it is)

There are hundreds of little switches and electical parts it would be impossible to check everything , If I spent £30k on this car I would be very pissed off, so my best advice would be to get rid of it.

If possible back to the dealer. Some cars are just lemons this sounds like one of them, get legal advice Pronto and tell them you can't stand to live with the car anymore as its causing so much stress in your marriage and family.

Forget contacting the dealer your next point go call MUST BE citizens advice and then a solicitor, the dealer knows you are going to want your money back so is keeping out the way. Depending on what the solicitor says you can also do a story and photo for the local paper with you with a sad face pointing at car.

In regards to "Shades" I am sure if I came to you to sell a car (sounds like your a dealer) and the steering was mis alligned the mirror didnt work etc you would have to knock money off my asking price so you can get the work done??? Because thats what dealers always say when you want to sell, the dodgy dealers then try to sell it on again with out getting the work done and just do it if the customer notices
Old 04 October 2007, 07:56 AM
Steptoe
Scooby Regular

Trading standards did wonders for me,recommend giving them a call,it WILL get sorted if they are involved.
Old 04 October 2007, 09:03 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I think I have gone blind reading that......... I think you should just tell them that you will be have it all sorted by Landrover at their expense.
Old 04 October 2007, 09:42 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HI SOOB
The result was that the car only did another 300 miles before it lost all drive on the motorway, leaving my wife and 8 week old baby at the side of the motorway for a few hours.
On the strength of that alone, I'd throw them the keys and say see you in court sunshine!

Hope you get it sorted.
Old 04 October 2007, 10:27 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Shades
You obviously come out of the dark ages when it comes to consumer protection. We are meant to live in a society where traders do not dupe customers. Even if you buy a car from a dealer and they say specifically there is no warranty you STILL have the right to go back to them. They as the dealer are classed in law as a professional. As it is their trade, it is expected that all goods supplied meet the Sales of Goods Act and are in satisfactory condition for their age.

£30k for a car buys a lot of satisfactory condition!

Oh, and as for advice regarding this vehicle. You want shot of it. From what you have said it has had a very bad life. Even if you get all the issues fixed, clearly there are more problems in store in years to come. I would seek legal advice with regard to returning the vehicle to the dealer with you obtaining your money back.
Old 04 October 2007, 10:37 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Car not in the condition it was meant to be in.

Take it back, demand your money (i wouldn't trust the thing anyway now and you'll always be waiting on the next issue so you'll never enjoy it)

Take your money and get a Shogun or something. If you don't do a lot of off roading ditch the chelsea tractors completely and get a good quality family motor that has proper 5 star ncap to protect your family.

5t.
Old 04 October 2007, 06:40 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Been to CAB today and I have been advised to go to Trading Standards with the case.
The fact that the dealer was told about the faulty front diff by the Landrover specialist, and they made no effort to fix this problem and endanger'd the life of my wife and baby makes for a strong case they say.
Old 04 October 2007, 07:35 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Great news, keep us updated!
Old 21 October 2007, 12:55 AM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Anyone else who reads this should note that any dealer, even if they operate from a council house, is now legally responsible for putting right any major problems with a car they sell for a period of 6 months.

If you start runnig into problems, always be polite, keep a written record of calls, visits, etcetera, and DON'T DELAY.

You only have yourself to blame if you don't act quickly and effectively, especially if you decide to reject the car, and the law won't help you if you don't help yourself. Moaning that you don't have time is not acceptable - no one is THAT busy when £30K is at stake.

And getting an AA/RAC check in this case would have been well worth the money - what's a couple of fundred quid when you are spending £30K. Would you buy a house without a survey? Well, if you would you're daft!!

So although he has bought a lemon from a cr*p dealer, some of what has happened to HI SOOB is his own fault.
Old 21 October 2007, 09:08 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thank you for that succinct post.

Where does the buyer stand if something goes wrong that was not known about - say the timing belt breaks a week after purchase? I guess that's just bad luck?

And when is a dealer a dealer I wonder? The bloke who buys a £1000 nothing, runs it for 3 months and sells for £1500 a couple of times a year. Probably all undeclared business. dl
Old 21 October 2007, 09:12 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

A dealer is expected to know about the faults of the car as he is classed as a professional. If a timing belt breaks, its the dealer's fault. It is his fault as it is his business to find out about these things, and to make sure that the quality of the goods he supplies are up to scratch. Joe Public is not expected to know these things, that is what a dealer is for.

Quick Reply: My rights regarding a faulty vehicle.Pls read