Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Goodwood last Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2007, 12:36 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodwood last Saturday

I went to the revival meeting at Goodwood on Saturday. It was a really great day out. We were all dressed in '50's style clothing and the best bit was the ladies in their frocks and seamed nylon stockings and suspender belts. None of this tights nonsense. Someone should tell them they look much more desirable dressed like that!

The racing was superb, they all race to win and seeing a couple of ERA's side by side through Woodcote with the tails well out and full throttle takes a bit of beating for spectacle. Great bike race on the old bikes too-Wayne Gardner left them for dead as you might expect.

The cars in the paddock were fascinating to see-going back to early century racers. Even the rebuilt "Babs" was there having been dug up from Pendine Sands. Many very rare cars on view. The owners only too pleased to answer questions. Loads of the earlier F1 cars too. Many interesting foreign cars to see also. Lots of good sideshows indcluding Laurel and Hardy in their old Ford, Dad'a Army displays and a very good jazz band 0n a stand to listen to.

They had races for every class you could think of, great to see Stirling Moss wheeling a Mk 1 Lotus Cortina round in fine style, he must be knocking on 80 odd too. Nothing like seeing the mini's worrying the big v8 saloons on the corners!

They also had air displays by several Spitfires and the Lancaster and Hurricane as well as three US Warbird fighters. There was a magnificent combined formation and aerobatic display by an ex Ray Hanna Mk9 Spitfire and a Mustang too. Tremndous skills shown there.

It was very well organised and everyone was in the right spirit with a smile on their face-its that kind of a day.

I have been to the Festival of Speed too which is good, but the revival is by far the best one of the lot.

We have got our tickets booked for next year already!

Les
Old 03 September 2007, 03:14 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Les

Cracking, wasn't it?

Did you see the 'Dad's Army' lot on the inside of the circuit? The bloke who was masquerading as Capt. Mainwaring looked bloody authentic. We also saw a Winston Churchill looky-likey wandering around who was excellent value.

It's the first time I've been and if I've one small complaint, it's information overload - you simply cannot take in everything that's going on. We'll definitely go next year and will probably sign up for 3 days.

Cheers
Kav

PS - The bloke I went with told me that Stirling Moss is the only racing driver in the world to have an FIA exemption which allows him to wear his original cotton racing suit and cork lid. I don't if that's bollocks or not as I was very, very drunk...

Last edited by Mark Miwurdz; 03 September 2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03 September 2007, 03:20 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Les, last Saturday

Old 03 September 2007, 04:15 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough, that's how I picture Les as well.
Old 03 September 2007, 08:49 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How dare you.

That's Les EVERY day.
Old 04 September 2007, 06:35 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

Les, last Saturday

One of these days I shall be forced to post a picture in my own defence. Mind you TT was a bit of a card and I always like seeing him in a film or whatever.

It is true that Stirling Moss has special dispensation to wear his lid and racing suit. Takes me back to see him driving in that old white helmet with the peak.

Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Les
Old 04 September 2007, 09:03 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

There is a huge thread on the Retro Rides forum about this with loads of excellent photos....
Retro Rides - Goodwood Revival pics. 56k-sorry. **more added**

I would love to see this event for myself.