Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Assessment drives for older drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2007, 07:53 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Assessment drives for older drivers?

My stepfather was involved in an accident recently. Everyone OK, however it was definitely his fault.

I don't know if it was the police or insurance company who have suggested that he has a driving assessment. I am keen that he has this as although he thinks he is a good driver, nobody else shares that opinion. So my questions are-

Who carries out the assessment? (Police, IAM member, or what?)

How long does one of these drives last?

What is involved? What will the assessor be looking for?

Does the assessment have any legal force? If the assessor decides that his driving isn't of an acceptable standard could his licence be withdrawn? If tat isn't possible would the assessor inform the insurance company and could the insurance company refuse to cover him effectively amounting to withdrawing his licence?

TIA
Old 31 August 2007, 08:20 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

think over 50% ov old drivers shouldnt be on the road, most ov which have obtailed there licence while in the forces many many moons ago
Old 31 August 2007, 08:58 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Seen a few cases in the local paper, auto cars that "drive off by themselves when the old dear start the engine" sort of thing. The local police say we won't do you for driving without due care provided you "voluntarily" hand back your licence.

Seems like a very sensible and proportionate solution to a growing problem by the police. First time for about 20 years that I've said that.
Old 01 September 2007, 12:21 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Never heard of these assesments.

However I have heard about the courses you have to do if your caught speeding etc. Which involves a lecture in a classroom of do's and don'ts, coupled with some group involved brainstorming and intitative development.

I certainly think assesment is needed for drivers who are involved in own fault accidents to review their abilities.
Old 01 September 2007, 02:48 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the DVLA who do the assesments

I was hit head on last year by a 93yo **** who veered onto my side of the road as his windscreen was misted up and he couldn't see where he was going (no he never bothered with the heater).
The police came out and i said i wanted him dealt with (points/ fine) as if it had been a younger driver this would have been the norm and old drivers who are supposed to be the safest get away with most things.
The police spoke to **** and it turned out he'd had an assesment the week before and had passed? he said because of this it would be likely the case wouldn't go to court (even though he was driving on the wrong side of the road, hit a car head on and couldn't see where he was going)????????????
Old 02 September 2007, 08:03 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
It's the DVLA who do the assesments

I was hit head on last year by a 93yo **** who veered onto my side of the road as his windscreen was misted up and he couldn't see where he was going (no he never bothered with the heater).
The police came out and i said i wanted him dealt with (points/ fine) as if it had been a younger driver this would have been the norm and old drivers who are supposed to be the safest get away with most things.
The police spoke to **** and it turned out he'd had an assesment the week before and had passed? he said because of this it would be likely the case wouldn't go to court (even though he was driving on the wrong side of the road, hit a car head on and couldn't see where he was going)????????????
That is disgusting

Some 20 year old Scooby driver and the police would have thrown the book at him
Old 03 September 2007, 11:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 34srm
think over 50% ov old drivers shouldnt be on the road, most ov which have obtailed there licence while in the forces many many moons ago
I think I would be a little older than you you cheeky so and so.

Book a track day-any circuit you like, and you can come with me in order to give me an assessment-if you can stand the G!

Les

Trending Topics

Old 03 September 2007, 12:08 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think I would be a little older than you you cheeky so and so.

Book a track day-any circuit you like, and you can come with me in order to give me an assessment-if you can stand the G!

Les
Les,

I would give you an assessment if I could summon up the courage to open my eyes!
Old 03 September 2007, 12:30 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Les,

I would give you an assessment if I could summon up the courage to open my eyes!
Is it just me that's picturing Les in goggles and a biggles scarf?
Old 03 September 2007, 12:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Is it just me that's picturing Les in goggles and a biggles scarf?
How else could I possible dress Gene baby?, not forgetting the flying helmet and the wet celery

Les