Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pulled for the first time in 9 years of driving...

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2007, 01:17 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled for the first time in 9 years of driving...

..so not doing too badly at all I figure.

Just did my "duty driver" thing dropping mates off from a Bank Holiday Sunday drinking.. first mate dropped off, pull out of his road.. see car coming out of village he's in.. actually mention to a mate that I'm not going to be "stupid" because I don't know what it is and haven't kept a clean licence this long by being the previously mentioned stupid. Continue along the road at what would be considered a reasonable pace (single carriageway, national limit), slowed down to 30 and dipped lights when entering the built up area.

As if by magic the wonderful blue lights appear

So, Mr Police Sgt approaches, exchange greetings, asks me where I've been, if I've been drinking (yes, one pint about 9pm), he asks me what the speed limit is on the road - (30), before the limit "I'll give you a guess".. (err.. *sheepish* 60).. asks how quick I think I was going "..and I'll warn you the cars calibrated".. (...65 [I was doing an indicated 70 pretty much bang on the whole time he was behind me, so although I know I was in the wrong I know how much my speedo over-reads]).. "at some points you nudged 70".. (oh, sorry).. asks name, (I give), PC gives Sgt the indication that it matches the VRN check, "other than that, even though you've had a drink, your driving is very good, have a safe drive home".

Wanders off back to his car. At which point I start the car, and do a perfect mirror, signal, maneuver, with my mate pointing out what a lucky ******* I am.

Just goes to show what being polite and honest does for you.

(even though I'm 95% sure I never touched 70 )
Old 27 August 2007, 03:24 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I used to get stopped on a regular basis on a saturday night doing the 'designated driver' thing
Admittedly some of it was due to the fact I would be driving like a ****, but usually it was because my p!ssed up mates were hanging out of the windows being 'boisterous'
I never once got done, politeness and good manners go along way but my mates usually got threatened with a night in the cells for being drunk and disorderly
Old 27 August 2007, 10:47 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reminds me of a good joke

One night, a police officer was stalking out a particularly rowdy bar for possible violations of the driving under the influence laws. At closing time, he saw a fellow stumble out of the bar, trip on the curb, and try his keys on five different cars before he found his. Then, sat in the front seat fumbling around with his keys for several minutes. Everyone left the bar and drove off. Finally, he started his engine and began to pull away.

The police officer was waiting for him. He stopped the driver, read him his rights and administered the Breathalyzer test. The results showed a reading of 0.0. The puzzled officer demanded to know how that could be. The driver replied, "Tonight, I'm the Designated Decoy."
Old 27 August 2007, 11:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Glad he was a reasonable copper and as you say, it is sensible to be polite and honest. Just goes to show that traffic cops do a lot more to keep people driving safely with their commonsense style behaviour than all the money grubbing speedcams which do nothing to get the drunk, drugged and unlicensed drivers off the roads.

Les
Old 27 August 2007, 03:46 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Think he'd have been a bit of an @rse if he'd done you for doing 70 in a 60 Zone.
Old 27 August 2007, 06:46 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Came back from a car show in cardiff a few years back in my fettled 309, about 2am i nip through innis downs roundabout when these headlights appear, oh yeah i thought anyway sure enough 2 miles down in victoria i get pulled.

Hello there, went round that roundabout a bit quick didn't we, umm yeah i did, granted it's massive as it's on the main a30 into cornwall but i wasn't breaking any speeds.

Anyhow, after the usual vnc check he comes back and says, you do realise your driving on a disqualified license, all i could do was

Nah mate only joking you can go now, the get lol.

Goes to show they're not all bad, treat them with respect and most of the time that's what you get in return.
Old 27 August 2007, 07:00 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Perhaps the plod was a performance car enthusiast himself.

Geoff.
Old 27 August 2007, 07:22 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well he did say nice car so yeah maybe.