Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thailand

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2007, 09:23 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thailand

Going on my honeymoon in a few weeks to Thailand (Bangkok, Koi Samui & Phuket).

Money wise - How far will my money go?
Was thinking about £50 a day.

Was going to take a cc for anything extra - Good idea?
Old 20 August 2007, 09:51 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

If it isn't including accommodation then that's plenty.
Old 20 August 2007, 10:10 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Well I have a bit of fruit for breakfast, and a cooked meal at lunchtime and in the evening and rarely spend more than £4 per day. If you go for foreign, i.e; western, food it'll cost you more but you should still be getting by for between £10-15.
Western beer, usually heineken, is roughly western prices, but there's nothing wrong with Chang or Leo Singha will give you a bad head though

Hotels, I travel about a bit with work, and never pay more than 1500baht for a room, and have not had a bad one yet

While you're in Bangkok make sure you visit Wat Phra Keaw and the Grand Palace, the other temples are all take it or leave it stuff IMO, but the Emerald Buddha is worth seeing You can get a tuk-tuk from there to the river too, a trip up the Chao Praya on a longtail is a must

Take a day trip out to Kanchanaburi if you've got time too, and take the train over the Bridge on the River Kwai up to Hellfire pass is the one to see

Patong beach on Phuket is overated BTW, it's no different from any beach in Spain, Greece or Portugal, full of lobster coloured westerners and people continually pestering you to buy cheap crap
Old 20 August 2007, 10:34 AM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

I was in Phuket a few weeks ago its got quite expensive on the beach front bars about 2 quid for a small beer,6 quid for a pizza
we enjoyed the Phuket Fantasea cultural show, highly recommended get the ticket with the buffet food included the food hall there is one of the biggest in the world
Old 20 August 2007, 11:35 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

To eat in the nicer places and really have fun £50.00 should just about cover it provided you have a cheap local style lunch. Chang beer is a radioactive collection of chemicals including formaldehyde that is dangerous to your health and the thai version would be illegal in Europe for health reasons. Singha is much much better cleaner option. but buckets`are the drink of choice.
Kanchanaburi the bridge oer the river kwai and the tiger temple are must visit attractions.

Last edited by Luan Pra bang; 20 August 2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 20 August 2007, 11:38 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Good to know I shouldn't need too much cash (Accomodation already paid for)
Any other recommendations for things to do in:
Bangkok
Koi Samui
Phuket?

Cheers
Old 20 August 2007, 11:51 AM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

LOL @ phuckit
Old 20 August 2007, 05:34 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

You could try one of the elephant ride trips They can be found in any of the places you visit, but trust me go for the short ride option, you don't want to be doing the trekking, they're fecking uncomfortable

One of these is a must;

get one with a turbo if you can

PS; Are you sure you've got your Changs and your Singhas the right way round there LPB? I've done work in both plants and I know which I'd rather drink
Old 20 August 2007, 06:52 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Chang at least when I was there had 8.3% on the bottle and three big bottles got you pissed in a chemical poisoning kind of way. It was much cheaper than Singha based on the Mafia owning the beer and being able to drop the alchohol catagory even though it was too strong to be taxed as beer. It may have changed now the big mafia guys are being toppled but back in the day it was horrible stuff and nothing like the chang they sell in the UK. Singha was 5 ish percent and tasted like a typical european beer.
Speial brew was healthy compared to chang beer.
Old 21 August 2007, 03:34 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I think things may have changed in the past couple of years then, the Chang you get over here now is OK, or at least it's not made me ill yet

I'm sure Singha is Thai for Wife Beater though
Old 21 August 2007, 11:40 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Don't forget to go to a "ping & pong" show.

Then ask your wife to do it

chop
Old 21 August 2007, 03:32 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

She'll never manage it chopper

Asian girls are conditioned from an early age

It comes from staying seated side-saddle on the back of insanely ridden scooters using nothing more than suction
Old 21 August 2007, 03:34 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine worked out there for a few years.. His main gripe was the police are crooked as a crooked thing and dont really care about criminals unless you are paying them off lol..
Old 21 August 2007, 03:49 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

If you fancy a good night out clubbing in Bangkok try either the Bed Supper Club or the Q bar on Sukhumvit soi 11 they are 2 of the swankiest and sophisticated bars in Bangkok but unfortunately are not that cheap.

Alternatively if live music is yor thing go up to Tokyo Joe's Blues bar now located on sukhumvit soi 26 bar to hear some of the best live music in Bangkok.
Old 21 August 2007, 03:51 PM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

Shame your Acc is already paid for, I would of said, try the north, some where like Chiang mai which is beautiful and not as busy as some other parts. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. Me and my better half are looking to Move to Koh Samui.

Alexppp
Old 21 August 2007, 03:52 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finchyboy
If you fancy a good night out clubbing in Bangkok try either the Bed Supper Club or the Q bar on Sukhumvit soi 11 they are 2 of the swankiest and sophisticated bars in Bangkok but unfortunately are not that cheap.
And both totally over-run by ladyboys (although some can be stunning to look at) and western sex tourists - either fat old men or muscle-bound steroid freaks.
Old 21 August 2007, 04:06 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

there were no western sexpests or lady boys at supper club when I was there
some fit english girls who live in thailand some really fit girls from singapore and not really sure who else that was enough to keep my attention
Old 21 August 2007, 10:17 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
And both totally over-run by ladyboys (although some can be stunning to look at) and western sex tourists - either fat old men or muscle-bound steroid freaks.

You're welcome to your opinion mate but the reason i use these club's is the fact that i personally don't find any of the formentioned in there. Personally i think you're talking ****e we all know the sex tourists don't stray far from Patpong, Nana or Cowboy or if the're cheap charlies some ****ty little road side bar beer sipping cheap **** and playing connect 4 with a girl that doesn't speak a word of the Queen's.
As for steriod boy's i wouldn't know when i was there last i was to busy chatting to a couple of Dutch chicks that worked at the Embassy didn't see any ladyboy's either.

You can take my word for it or check out both bars on

Legal Drinking Age Check

Last edited by finchyboy; 21 August 2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 21 August 2007, 10:23 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
there were no western sexpests or lady boys at supper club when I was there
some fit english girls who live in thailand some really fit girls from singapore and not really sure who else that was enough to keep my attention
You're odviously a man who know the score in Bangkok !!
Old 23 August 2007, 07:45 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

If you're going to Phuket a trip over to Phi Phi Island is a must. If you're into scuba diving there are some fantastic dive sight's including "King Cruiser" a Phuket ferry wreck which sit's in about 30m. Alternatively you may want to do you paddy open water (entry level scuba) course there are many good dive company's operating out of patong.
Old 24 August 2007, 06:54 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Complete Bollox

Both places are too expensive for the likes of either to bother with. I don't go there very often either, for the same reason

PS: Another for Tokyo Joe's here too I would say it's some of the best live music in Thailand, not just Bangkok
Old 24 August 2007, 11:43 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Keep denying it to yourselves, the places are often full of hookers (freelancers) and sex-mongers.

Go to any mongering site and Q bar is one of their most visited.

btw, you are suffering serious delusions if you think this is where the hippest and coolest rich Thais hang out as well.

This ****s all over them for example.

:: RITZ BKK ::

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 24 August 2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 24 August 2007, 07:25 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

O.k Kiwi you tell where else in Bangkok i can see some of the world's best dance D'J's in a club that's finished to the same standard's interior wise as either the Q Bar or Bed Supper.
Gwen Staffani had her after party at the Q this Sunday night (i must add that i haven't got a lot of time for her music) but she's hardly going to frequent a ****hole full of ladyboys, hooker's , roided up gym monkey's and sex tourist's is she.
Don't know what your beef with the place is fair enough if you're not into house music and prefer to get smoked up on weed listening to jack johnson and crowded house like a lot of Kiwi's but stop trying to paint the 2 places as ****hole's.

Last edited by finchyboy; 24 August 2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 24 August 2007, 07:41 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

******** are cheap as chips
Old 24 August 2007, 08:32 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apples24
******** are cheap as chips
Perhap's you would like to allaborate!!

What a moronic comment!!
Old 24 August 2007, 08:38 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finchyboy
O.k Kiwi you tell where else in Bangkok i can see some of the world's best dance D'J's in a club that's finished to the same standard's interior wise as either the Q Bar or Bed Supper.
Gwen Staffani had her after party at the Q this Sunday night (i must add that i haven't got a lot of time for her music) but she's hardly going to frequent a ****hole full of ladyboys, hooker's , roided up gym monkey's and sex tourist's is she.
Don't know what your beef with the place is fair enough if you're not into house music and prefer to get smoked up on weed listening to jack johnson and crowded house like a lot of Kiwi's but stop trying to paint the 2 places as ****hole's.
Club Culture, Narcissus, JAZZit, Glow, Club Astra, FLIX/Slim etc.

I haven't got a beef with the place or it's music - I'm just not keen on some of the clientele. And yes, I do realise they have nights where it's for private parties or themed nights (models night for example) but it's still generally a place full of people up their own *****.
Old 24 August 2007, 08:43 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

A few other comments :

Great music - not so great crowd (mainly tourists, expats & freelancers). Lousy service especially if you order at the bar.
Overall rating: 4/10 Design rating: 6/10
Drinks rating: 3/10
Service rating: 2/10
by: james, 08 June 2007

I went there a couple of months ago and hate it. It's just full of sleazy old white men. I looked around and the average age of the crowd there is probably 40+. The DJ spinning 'house' music there is awesome, but just doesn't match with the crowd type.
Overall rating: 3/10 Design rating: 5/10
Drinks rating: 5/10
Service rating: 5/10
by: I'm the local, 31 May 2007

I'm a local; my condo is less than five minutes walk from the bar so I've seen its progress over the years. When it opened it was undoubtedly one of the coolest places to hang out, with good crowd, cute waitresses, chic decor, funky music and all that, but unfortunately (just like the Ministry of Sound here) it has taken a turn for the worst and the locals (hi-so and lo-so) have left this scene for tourists and ex-pats, a hunting ground may be an unfair comment to some of the decent ladies who I'm sure do go there just for a good night out, but the workng ones are also out in full force at this place.
Overall rating: 5/10 Design rating: 7/10
Drinks rating: 7/10
by: Krit, 13 April 2007

When I walk in to Q Bar it gives me the feeling of walking into a dark, dirty place. No decent men here, only those out to get laid or pay for sex.
Overall rating: 1/10 Design rating: 3/10
Drinks rating: 6/10
by: Annie, 30 January 2007
Old 24 August 2007, 08:44 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Been to Glow thought it was pretty cool haven't given Narcissus a go yet but heard good reports just booked some flight's today for New Year so shall give it a go then.

This fella Apples seem's to be bringing a lot to the party as far as this thread is concerned !!!
Old 24 August 2007, 08:50 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

my old man stayed in thialand for 3 years the randy old sod lol, hes got a 18yr old gorgeous girlfriend out there, either hes an idiot for doing it and blowing money or im jelous, havent worked out which one yet lol, and yes shes a she pmsl