A Level results

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2007, 02:12 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Level results

I've read 2 interesting stories today:

The first concerns another rise in grades achieved at A Level, this is apparently because kids are generally brighter, working harder and teaching standards have improved. It is nothing to do with exams getting easier.

The second story concerns Universities having to give new students special remedial lessons when they arrive, as they don't even have the sort of basic education such as spelling and grammar or basic maths.

Am I the only one who smells a rat?
Old 16 August 2007, 03:02 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I was asked to write a basic Maths and English course for an organisation recently. And I mean basic! So I asked why their recruitment criteria didn't stipulate A-C GCSE grades for Maths & English if they were that important. I was told they already did.......
Old 16 August 2007, 03:06 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Maybe I should resit my Maths GCSE? I might get a better grade than first time round, hell, maybe I should do the same for all of my GCSE's, might bump the C's to A+ and the other grades to B's

I'm not the brightest bulb and my math skills are laughable, but I'm horrified to think that Uni's are offereing remedial lessions. Something is seriously failing in Secondary schools if this is needed.
Old 16 August 2007, 03:30 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

My mum works in the science dept of a local secondary school. According to her, a lot of the stuff I did in GCSE doesn't appear until A-Level now!!
Old 16 August 2007, 03:45 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Maybe I should resit my Maths GCSE? I might get a better grade than first time round, hell, maybe I should do the same for all of my GCSE's, might bump the C's to A+ and the other grades to B's

I'm not the brightest bulb and my math skills are laughable, but I'm horrified to think that Uni's are offereing remedial lessions. Something is seriously failing in Secondary schools if this is needed.
I have been thinking about doing this as the recruiter would just assume I did them at school before I left quite afew years ago and they were the good old exam grade A's
Old 16 August 2007, 03:57 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I used to love going out in town on A-Level results night...

Too old now
Old 16 August 2007, 05:26 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Great, every potential employee now has 4 Grade A, A Levels, as an employer how do you weed out the dross?

I did my second degree as a mature student and they were doing maths sessions for all students (for an IT degree). I hadn't done maths for a good few years beyond the basic mental arithmetic stuff, but I soon got back in to it and got straight A's through the course. I was amazed at the number of students who had just done A level, coming to be asking how to do matrix multiplication and calculus.
Old 16 August 2007, 08:01 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK

I was amazed at the number of students who had just done A level, coming to be asking how to do matrix multiplication and calculus.
I can guarantee never to ask anyone how to do calculus.
Old 16 August 2007, 09:24 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
I can guarantee never to ask anyone how to do calculus.
Indeed, but if you were doing graphical based prgramming then it get's somewhat important.
Old 16 August 2007, 09:27 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I thought calculus was a spikey plant
Old 16 August 2007, 09:31 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
I thought calculus was a spikey plant
Well if anybody hands you a plant when you ask what the area is under a curved graph, then they're obviously as mixed up as you!!
Old 16 August 2007, 09:32 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I can confirm that unis are indeed offering remedial lessons in maths etc. When I went to study Physics I required some remedial instruction to cover some of the more complex mathematics. I was only a couple of topics, and that was 10 years ago.

Those topics had simply being dropped from my syllabus to make the exams easier. I got an A at A level (easily), the scary thing being that when I did a past paper from ten years previous, just before I sat my real exam, I was B/C standard.

I think I got over 90% on my A-level maths, without wanting to take it away from anyone, it was the easiest maths exam I had seen. ALL the past papers were harder.

When it came to the other subjects the same sort of thing was happening. In A-Level physics they were dropping certain topics to make the course shorter. This allowed more time to teach the harder things, and have less to learn. It was all to make stuff easier.

I just don't know how they keep managing to get away with this.
Old 16 August 2007, 09:35 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I just don't know how they keep managing to get away with this.
Well they're not really. 20 Years ago, a couple of D's at A level would get you in to a Uni, now a couple of D's and you're not qualified to empty bins. All our cleaners now have to have at least a Masters to even be considered as eligable. Personally I have 6 degrees and 3 PhD's
Old 17 August 2007, 12:06 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Tis true. Often youngsters describe better grades than my 4 Scottish Highers (A to C)obtained 20 years ago, but then you just never know whether you are comparing like with like.

Well, either that, or Darwin and Dawkins flunked their "exams" and humans evolve over a 20 year period !
Old 17 August 2007, 08:10 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

How much of an A level is 'copy it out the book at home' coursework?

I think the remedial stuff was,as they described it,'infantile errors such as not knowing the difference between their and there' etc

Oh well,great way to keep unemployment figures looking good....get everyone into higher education for three years
Old 17 August 2007, 08:58 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
Oh well,great way to keep unemployment figures looking good....get everyone into higher education for three years
Indeed, get people on the road to lifetime debt as early as possible!
Old 17 August 2007, 09:12 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

For all the thirty somethings that think A levels are too easy now - my brother in law got a C and a D in 1967 - The was enough to get him into veterinary medicine. By the time I did mine in 1989, minimum standard for veterinary medcine was 4 A's. Now I assume the requirement is 16 A+*'s. The exams have always been getting easier, but the final result is the same. I look at it as a type of education inflation.

(I think they should abolish all the dopey degrees - what are you supposed to do with a degree in the philosophy of science - stay off the dole for an extra three years? )
Old 17 August 2007, 09:54 AM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

There is a story in the local press about a girl who got 5 A s at A level but (shock) wasn't even offerred a place to study medicine. In the interview she said, "I'm a bit shy....." Well i'm sure they'll want you next year, then. NOT!

Can I see the shy doctor please? ffs Do an IB then!
Old 17 August 2007, 10:38 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
For all the thirty somethings that think A levels are too easy now - my brother in law got a C and a D in 1967 - The was enough to get him into veterinary medicine. By the time I did mine in 1989, minimum standard for veterinary medcine was 4 A's. Now I assume the requirement is 16 A+*'s. The exams have always been getting easier, but the final result is the same. I look at it as a type of education inflation.
The final result isn't quite the same. The exam results used to pretty much follow a normal distribution curve, i.e. the amjority would get C's, the excellent would get A's and the weaker candidates would get D, E and U. As a university / employer you could distinguish between candidates based on their grades. Now, with the distribution curve skewed to the point where almost all of it falls in the A bracket, you can't tell people apart which pretty much renders having a grade worthless. We're kind of at the point now where you either pass or fail your A levels rather than having a good indicator of a person's understanding of the subject material.

ETA: even if exams weren't getting easier, they would do well to re-distribute the bell curve so that the average students were getting C's still, OK, the results may be over a smaller range than previously, but the distinction could be made, rather than having to introduce A* and A+ etc.
Old 17 August 2007, 10:55 AM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

Fully agree with OllyK, top 2% get A/A+ whatever next 5 % and so on, publish the graphs.

Unfortunately statistics are probably PHD level now
Old 17 August 2007, 11:04 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

yes but can any of these grade A+ students get a corner ???

my neice just got hers, she did sod all studying and partied all the time and now she has passed
Old 17 August 2007, 11:28 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
My mum works in the science dept of a local secondary school. According to her, a lot of the stuff I did in GCSE doesn't appear until A-Level now!!
But at the same time, a lot of the things I did at Uni I now teach to Year 8 students! (12 year olds).
Old 17 August 2007, 11:31 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
But at the same time, a lot of the things I did at Uni I now teach to Year 8 students! (12 year olds).
What subject is that in? What kind of stuff are you teaching that you hadn't previously learnt yourself until Uni?
Old 17 August 2007, 11:38 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

ICT
At school/college it was all Databases/Spreadsheets etc it wasn't until Uni that we looked at web design. We now teach that (Dreamweaver) to Y8's.
Old 17 August 2007, 11:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Great, every potential employee now has 4 Grade A, A Levels, as an employer how do you weed out the dross?

I did my second degree as a mature student and they were doing maths sessions for all students (for an IT degree). I hadn't done maths for a good few years beyond the basic mental arithmetic stuff, but I soon got back in to it and got straight A's through the course. I was amazed at the number of students who had just done A level, coming to be asking how to do matrix multiplication and calculus.
That is the real point of course. What is the use of dumbing it all down so that students get strings of A's etc. and also need to do cramming courses to be able to even start a university degree course apart from trying to make the political policies look good.

How can an employer decide who will be fit to do the job he is offering?

Les
Old 17 August 2007, 12:19 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
How can an employer decide who will be fit to do the job he is offering?
Les
Well they can't, but in the NL of not liking competition in schools this ensure that all the students get a warm fuzzy feeling right up to the point where they go for their first job interview.
Old 17 August 2007, 01:06 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

The final result isn't quite the same. The exam results used to pretty much follow a normal distribution curve, i.e. the amjority would get C's, the excellent would get A's and the weaker candidates would get D, E and U. As a university / employer you could distinguish between candidates based on their grades. Now, with the distribution curve skewed to the point where almost all of it falls in the A bracket, you can't tell people apart which pretty much renders having a grade worthless. We're kind of at the point now where you either pass or fail your A levels rather than having a good indicator of a person's understanding of the subject material.

ETA: even if exams weren't getting easier, they would do well to re-distribute the bell curve so that the average students were getting C's still, OK, the results may be over a smaller range than previously, but the distinction could be made, rather than having to introduce A* and A+ etc.
Agree with the post.

Can't remember there being a "U" grade though. Was that "U" for "useless" ?
Old 17 August 2007, 01:35 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well they can't, but in the NL of not liking competition in schools this ensure that all the students get a warm fuzzy feeling right up to the point where they go for their first job interview.
They must get a hell of a shock then.

Les
Old 17 August 2007, 01:52 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Agree with the post.

Can't remember there being a "U" grade though. Was that "U" for "useless" ?
U was for Unclassified

Quick Reply: A Level results