Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Financial Crisis - how bad will it get?...

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2007, 10:16 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Financial Crisis - how bad will it get?...

I'm sure everyone by now is aware of the current financial crisis sparks by the sub-prime lending woes in the US.

FTSE is tanking again today and has now fallen 11% in under a month.

Seems investors dont want anything to do with debt, so of course banks and BS's are having issues getting people to finance their debt - result of course will be that it will quite suddenly get much harder to borrow money.

Obviously for consumers this will mean a big turn-around as recently its been stupidly easy to borrow large sums of unsecured debt, and take out crazy-multiple mortgages, fuelling crazy house prices, however if businesses are having issues raising funds this will surely have a massively damaging effect on the economy??...

This all doesnt really come as a surprise, as things had gone so slack - but I'm amazed things have gone this bad this quickly?

Are we in for a bit of a recession here? How bad could it all get?
Old 16 August 2007, 12:34 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They will keep on telling us that it is all ok really, helped on by the BBC of course, but eventually it may well all come to a head. Flash must be desperately trying to hold it all together at least until he is elected.

Les
Old 16 August 2007, 01:00 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

I think a lot of this is a natural correction. However until we can work out the full liabilities that banks have exposure to with their cdo's and complex credit derivatives then there will be uncertainty and therefore volatility. We shall see but the possibiliy of a US rate cut may blow this bad time out of the water and we'll see a charge again. As for the UK, the sub prime blow out in the US is based on different circumstances to what we have here, I don't see the same effect with respect to house prices etc.
Old 16 August 2007, 01:22 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

House price drop to home owners - "Correction"

House price drop to renterd - rub hands...
Old 16 August 2007, 01:23 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ted Maul
I think a lot of this is a natural correction. However until we can work out the full liabilities that banks have exposure to with their cdo's and complex credit derivatives then there will be uncertainty and therefore volatility. We shall see but the possibiliy of a US rate cut may blow this bad time out of the water and we'll see a charge again. As for the UK, the sub prime blow out in the US is based on different circumstances to what we have here, I don't see the same effect with respect to house prices etc.
It was rising rates which popped the US housing bubble, but this lending crisis will push prices down even further. Here we probably would have gone the same way, but IMO its the sub-prime crisis which has almost certainly popped the housing market here (before high rates could). As lenders simply will not be ABLE to get their hands on the money to lend the people - of course the affect on prices will be downward.

Whats far more worrying IMO is lending for businesses. We've had a decade long boom, and if businesses struggle to raise capital we'll have a nasty bust surely?

Having only been in the jobs market for a few years since leaving uni, I've only read about the busts and recessions, like in the late 80's/early 90's but obviously never experienced one - and I dont want to!!
Old 16 August 2007, 02:06 PM
bonerp
Scooby Regular

just wait - mortgages are not best sellers at the moment which could indicate less secure lender even still further over here!

Ive said it on another thred but 0.5-1% more on interest rates, and theres a lot of people ****ed in the UK. That'll spark a recession.
Old 16 August 2007, 02:18 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Originally Posted by Leslie
They will keep on telling us that it is all ok really, helped on by the BBC of course, but eventually it may well all come to a head. Flash must be desperately trying to hold it all together at least until he is elected.

Les

Flash Iv'e not heard him called that before. quite appropriate though
Old 16 August 2007, 03:32 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
It was rising rates which popped the US housing bubble, but this lending crisis will push prices down even further. Here we probably would have gone the same way, but IMO its the sub-prime crisis which has almost certainly popped the housing market here (before high rates could). As lenders simply will not be ABLE to get their hands on the money to lend the people - of course the affect on prices will be downward.
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick from the papers you've been reading. Sub-prime lending is an American issue, not British unless UK banks have been underwriting US financial institution's debt.

It also allows the BoE off the hook as fas as another interest rate rise is concerned, which will have a positive affect on lending.
Old 16 August 2007, 05:04 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I'm sure everyone by now is aware of the current financial crisis sparks by the sub-prime lending woes in the US.

FTSE is tanking again today and has now fallen 11% in under a month.

Seems investors dont want anything to do with debt, so of course banks and BS's are having issues getting people to finance their debt - result of course will be that it will quite suddenly get much harder to borrow money.

Obviously for consumers this will mean a big turn-around as recently its been stupidly easy to borrow large sums of unsecured debt, and take out crazy-multiple mortgages, fuelling crazy house prices, however if businesses are having issues raising funds this will surely have a massively damaging effect on the economy??...

This all doesnt really come as a surprise, as things had gone so slack - but I'm amazed things have gone this bad this quickly?

Are we in for a bit of a recession here? How bad could it all get?
You do seem to be very obsessed with money, house prices, interest rates and mortgages.

You should ask webby to set up Financial Corner
Old 16 August 2007, 05:07 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick from the papers you've been reading. Sub-prime lending is an American issue, not British unless UK banks have been underwriting US financial institution's debt.
Sub-prime lending is an American issue which is having a massive impact world wide because so many banks (not just US) have exposure to it!

The FTSE has just closed down 4.1% - biggest single day loss since Sept 11th (after losing 3.7% in one day last week, which was at the time the biggest single day loss since Sept 11th)

Carry trade is unwinding as investors pull out of anything involving risk and debt - this will have a massive effect all over the world. (This is where you borrow money in currency where rates are low, and lend where its high - one of the main reasons for the cheap loans here!)

Watch lenders rates rise sharply and lending criteria get very tight over the coming months!!!

FT.com / MARKETS / Currencies - Yen surges as carry trades unwind

Last edited by Petem95; 16 August 2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 16 August 2007, 05:08 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
You should ask webby to set up Financial Corner
Good thinking Rannoch, take note webmaster
Old 16 August 2007, 05:17 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Sub-prime lending is an American issue, not British unless UK banks have been underwriting US financial institution's debt.

Thought HSBC had their fingers severely burnt bt getting heavily involved with US sub prime ?

Anyway,I have learnt that in the UK,nothing can ever go wrong ever again.Boom and bust is a distant memory,same for unemployment and same for mortgage rates over 6%.Never will we see problems again.

Errr....I think those people might be in dream land
Old 16 August 2007, 05:39 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Sub-prime lending may be an American issue, but I guess that our equivalent is people borrowing large salary multiples who are stuffed if interest rates or other living expenses go up by much.
Old 16 August 2007, 05:40 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
Thought HSBC had their fingers severely burnt bt getting heavily involved with US sub prime ?

Anyway,I have learnt that in the UK,nothing can ever go wrong ever again.Boom and bust is a distant memory,same for unemployment and same for mortgage rates over 6%.Never will we see problems again.

Errr....I think those people might be in dream land
I'm not sure why you're quoting me as if to offer an opposing viewpoint, as I've already made the point about UK banks underwriting US sub-prime debt.

Pete's understanding is based purely on what he reads in the papers - hence the semi-hysterical posts on these subjects whilst completely ignoring base rates off setting and supply crunch on the financial side.
Old 16 August 2007, 05:45 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

The FTSE has just closed down 4.1% - biggest single day loss since Sept 11th (after losing 3.7% in one day last week, which was at the time the biggest single day loss since Sept 11th)
This is typical of the selective reporting carried out by the doom mongers (and toilet paper news paper.) Quote the statistics that back up your story and ignore the rest. You seem to have failed to mention that between close on Friday (after the big drop) and close on Monday the index bounced back by 180 odd points.

p.s. - This is the biggest daily loss since March 2003, but that doesn't have the same ring to it as 09/11
Old 16 August 2007, 05:48 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Pete's understanding is based purely on what he reads in the papers - hence the semi-hysterical posts on these subjects whilst completely ignoring base rates off setting and supply crunch on the financial side.
Based on sources such as Bloomberg, Reuters and Financial Times, but hey I'm sure these are all just doom-mongering eh, and infact everything is rosy
Old 16 August 2007, 05:48 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Prob not a good time just yet to think about buying a house in the USA then. But as long as the british economy does not fall flat just yet, it might swing to be come an advantage for some, attracting UK money in, and boosting things a little.

Does look in a bad way though. When I was out there a couple of weeks ago, one of the largest morgage companies collapsed.
Old 16 August 2007, 10:04 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

talking of carry trades, you should see the GBPNZD rate, bounced 10% in a few days!

As you were.....

Oh and the FTSE100 is up 127 points in extended trading.....

Last edited by warrenm2; 16 August 2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 16 August 2007, 10:55 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

Great time to invest - i am lined up to have my biggest month of client investment all year.

Anyone who belives the stockmarket will grow over the long term may as well go in now.
Old 16 August 2007, 10:59 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Looks like i might have picked a good time to sell everything i own and leave the country then

I know the feeling of planning that, not far behind you
Old 17 August 2007, 12:03 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

snazy and NAT21 - where to?
Old 17 August 2007, 12:14 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Question

Based on sources such as Bloomberg, Reuters and Financial Times, but hey I'm sure these are all just doom-mongering eh, and infact everything is rosy

So which one of these three superb sources mentioned 9/11 and forget about March 2003? Oh - Hang on - you can't link March 2003 to some terrible disaster so it won't look as bad. So now we have agreed that there have been bigger falls in the FTSE at least twice this millenium, can you look up your superb sources and see what happened over the following 12 months?
Old 17 August 2007, 01:26 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Dow ended up just 15 points down on the day......watch the FTSE jump in the morning!
Old 17 August 2007, 09:37 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

see!

crash my ****...as it where.
Old 17 August 2007, 11:13 AM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

dead cat bounce more like
Old 17 August 2007, 01:22 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

dead rubber cat by the looks of it
Old 17 August 2007, 01:35 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Just been "selling in" a busines story to the national papers -tricky as several of them said somethin along the lines of "we're having a financial meltdown at the moment - call us next week!"
Old 17 August 2007, 01:42 PM
Haven'tGotAScooby
Scooby Newbie

FTSE up 1.5% so far today already...you lot worry over nothing.

House prices?...The only way is up!!!...woohoo!

Quick Reply: Financial Crisis - how bad will it get?...