Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DV video - any example files on Web?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2002, 09:45 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Thinking of DV video camcorder. Anyone know of anywhere on the web I can download a raw DV file to see the quality?
I've got broadband so size of file not a problem......
Old 03 January 2002, 09:55 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

On a similar subject, is there anything special about MicroDV?

I sure that i read somewhere (Stuff magazine?) that the latest minature video camera from Sony (the IP7) only allows you to edit the material with their own (provided) software.

Is this true???

mb
Old 03 January 2002, 10:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
A raw DV file will be the same quality as the film on the camera. The only one's I have here are Gig's in size, I'm on 28.8 so won't be sending any.
Old 03 January 2002, 11:42 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

I bought a DV camcorder. Playback on a 32" TV is amazing!

I then bought a Firewire capture card and imported the video onto the PC. The video is imported at 720*576 pixels uncompressed.

A 32 second AVI at this resolution takes up about 118Mb! When I play this back on my PC (using Powerdvd) it looks ok in a small window, but any bigger and it looks pretty bad.

Then, I could use Ulead Videostudio or Adobe Premiere to compress down to maybe 12Mb, but it can take hours even on a reasonably fast PC.

Basically, it's a lot of hassle so I think I'll just keep the video on the DV tape unless I really want a copy on the PC.

I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences about importing DV to a PC and how they get on with compression/editing.

[Edited by Kevin Greeley - 1/3/2002 11:45:17 PM]
Old 04 January 2002, 12:46 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

My impression is that dv video is lossless when transferring to/from PC (a la iMac adverts about video editing!).

Is it?

ie, can I import DV using the i.Link onto the PC, move things around, and send it back over the i.Link to the camcorder with no loss of quality?

Also, I really want a non-magnetic version of the video for long term storage - I assume a DVD writer is really the only option here....I know that is then compressed, but the quality must be high enough to look lossless (you know what I mean?).
Old 04 January 2002, 09:07 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
As long as your camera is DV-in enabled then you can take the video from the camera to the PC chop it about and return it to the DV camera with no loss. All of this does of course assume that you have a powerfull enough PC.

If you go here www.californear.com/video.htm you can see some movies I made with MS Movie Maker. Plugged the camera - JVC DVX4 - into XP and it basically lead me through the process. I've tried all sorts of different software on the same hardware but XP has for the first time allowed me to produce quality web media that the majority of people can view.