Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

speeding through roadworks

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2007, 09:01 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question speeding through roadworks

Having my commute from J10-J6 on the M1 my speed is restricted to 50 MPH due to the SPECS cameras along that stretch that measure your time and distance. Why do I seem to get overtaken by every man and his dog when I'm doing 50-55?

Have a load of people submitted false addresses on their log books? I've also heard the story about people chaning lanes between cameras to dodge fines but not noticed this myself with the speeders. There's all ages of cars and nationalities of trucks that seem to bomb through this stretch of motorway.
Old 05 August 2007, 09:04 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I once read on here somewhere that Pepipoo (the "how to get off traffic offences" website) hadn't seen a recorded case of anyone being done by SPECS cameras. Don't know how true that is, though.
Old 05 August 2007, 09:11 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

1) Your speedo may be out. Use a GPS device to look at your speed. You may find everyone is else is doing that to go at the max rate
2) Foreign people, to my knowledge, are not prosecuted.
3) You can hide behind the vehicle in front when you go through a camera so that they cannot read your plate...but you have to be almost inside their boot for it to work. Then you just speed off again.

You have to remember that the cameras can work out your average between any pair anywhere, so if you are doing 3), don't miss a camera
Old 05 August 2007, 12:09 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Speedo is probably reading high like everyone elses is, but it can't be that far out. I notice a lot of cars doing well over 50, at leat 20-30 MPH faster than I am. The ones doing well over 50 don't worry about tailgating or switching lanes either. It's not just a couple of people doing it, there seems to be loads.
Old 05 August 2007, 12:19 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Maybe what you think are speed cameras are not. In that case they will be going at that speed knowing there is no issue. Specs cameras are on top of yellow poles.
Old 05 August 2007, 02:06 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

get behind a lorry or van as you pass the cameras.
Old 05 August 2007, 02:13 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Maybe the cameras aren't switched on all of the time. Only when there's work in progress. The "nick" threshold may be set to a very high speed. And then there's the "switch lanes" between sets of cameras approach.

The ones on the M25/M3 junction also seem strangely quiet. I haven't deliberately taken the p*ss by screaming through there at warp speed but I have seen plenty waltzing through at 70ish.

J.
Old 05 August 2007, 02:21 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I asked myself the very same question today as I came up from Southend on the M25, M1. I was making good progress until the 50mph stretches when I slowed for the cameras, only to be overtaken by the masses who were clearly going faster than 50mph.
Old 05 August 2007, 02:56 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

changing lanes is not going to work. Your number plate is just stored on a computer, it does not care what camera that info came from.
Old 05 August 2007, 03:01 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Luminous
changing lanes is not going to work. Your number plate is just stored on a computer, it does not care what camera that info came from.
It does work, SPECS is not home office approved for multi lane use.

Mind you if you go past 4 cameras (you have only 3 lanes) all above the average limit I guess that will get you - does anyone know if this is the case?
Old 05 August 2007, 03:03 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

answered my own question. SPECS are linked only in pairs. So lane changing does work.

Last edited by what would scooby do; 05 August 2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05 August 2007, 03:11 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

erm that link takes us back to this thread

I am surprised about what you say. I had heard that lane changing made no difference, and in addition they could pair up any of the cameras you went through with in a certain distance limit. Have you got any links to the specifics of this?

Just been here, the SPECS section of the cameras area does seem to support what you say: ABD Be aware that there is some inaccuracy to the site. They say the cameras are yellow on top of blue poles. Further down their own page they show these yellow cameras on yellow poles (the norm imo). I'm not sure how much reliance to place on what they say

Last edited by Luminous; 05 August 2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05 August 2007, 03:36 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure how much reliance to place on what they say
About as much as you can on anybody giving out an opinion based on 'hearing' something, I guess.

Unless it's official from somebody who does know, it's just that failed pop group with Mylene Klass in.
Old 05 August 2007, 04:25 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

erm that link takes us back to this thread

I am surprised about what you say. I had heard that lane changing made no difference, and in addition they could pair up any of the cameras you went through with in a certain distance limit. Have you got any links to the specifics of this?

Just been here, the SPECS section of the cameras area does seem to support what you say: ABD Be aware that there is some inaccuracy to the site. They say the cameras are yellow on top of blue poles. Further down their own page they show these yellow cameras on yellow poles (the norm imo). I'm not sure how much reliance to place on what they say
Every SPECS camera I've ever seen has been on a blue pole
Old 05 August 2007, 05:29 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I saw some in some road works at the bottom end of the M1 unless I am mistaken. Anyway, at least the cameras are always yellow, we can be thankful of that
Old 05 August 2007, 05:36 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The computer part is true but it uses the distance between cameras to take a speed reading and cant not do this well enough if you swap lanes.

Have you not noticed at the beginning it say please say in lane. They ask you, not tell you
Old 05 August 2007, 05:39 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

M1 = 70-mph limit.

If there are road works, does the camera get updated to say a 50 limit or can you still do 70 through them?
Old 05 August 2007, 06:34 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

the cameras were specifically sited for the roadworks, and would therefore have the updated limit of 50.

Rule of thumb, if there is a way to screw you, its been done. Do you really think they would miss out on having cameras with a lower limit? That is why I am amazed at this lane changing thing
Old 05 August 2007, 06:55 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Drivers can avoid speeding tickets...by changing lanes | the Daily Mail
Old 05 August 2007, 07:40 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I don't think the camera are live.

I've never known anyone to get a ticket from a specs.
Old 05 August 2007, 07:45 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
get behind a lorry or van as you pass the cameras.

What ?, a van or lorry that will be doing about 50 anyway ?.

Watch it snug, you may cut yourself
Old 05 August 2007, 07:49 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

The other thing I have noticed on the M4 J11ish cameras is that people are getting wiser to SPECS. No-one slows down when the first 50 limit sign is passed, they just carry on at 70 until they see the first SPECS camera and then drop their speed. You still see several who brake for the cameras, admittedly!
Old 05 August 2007, 08:04 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

PS, the Channel 4 inbetween progs ad of the BMW 3 series locking up & carving up 3 lanes as it enters a slip road is the best example of roadwork driving ever seen
Old 05 August 2007, 08:28 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
PS, the Channel 4 inbetween progs ad of the BMW 3 series locking up & carving up 3 lanes as it enters a slip road is the best example of roadwork driving ever seen
Did they replace the Mercedes for you?
Old 05 August 2007, 08:54 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

I saw some in some road works at the bottom end of the M1 unless I am mistaken. Anyway, at least the cameras are always yellow, we can be thankful of that
Not the ones on Tower Bridge. They have been painted black - both cameras and posts. They've also made the strange 20mph limit difficult to notice when turning in from The Highway.
Old 05 August 2007, 11:43 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I've noticed this too on M25 between M3 & M4 ... I stick to 40mph as shown on variable speed limit whilst others fly past! Crossed my mind that they no longer work.

TX.

Originally Posted by vindaloo
The ones on the M25/M3 junction also seem strangely quiet. I haven't deliberately taken the p*ss by screaming through there at warp speed but I have seen plenty waltzing through at 70ish.

J.
Old 06 August 2007, 09:08 AM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

There was a report in our local free paper a few months back stating the SPECS cameras on the M1 J6-J10 were capturing around 70 people per day.

The five cameras between 8 and 10 are all on blue poles.
The latest cameras, which have gone up in the last few weeks between 6 and 8 are on yellow poles.
Old 06 August 2007, 09:18 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

Hades - you're right about the M4 ones (all on yellow poles for those who are interested! ), you can tell the regulars on the commute by the fact they only slow down by/just after the first camera, they also hare off immediately after the last one.

My mate went through the entire stretch at 70 last week, changing lanes as he went - I'm waiting to see if he gets a ticket!
Old 06 August 2007, 09:20 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
What ?, a van or lorry that will be doing about 50 anyway ?.

Watch it snug, you may cut yourself
You don't stick behind the lorry the whole way between two camera's do you? You slow up behind it about 100 m before the camera.

Quick Reply: speeding through roadworks