Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Just a thought

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2007, 02:31 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a thought

So i've been sitting bored in traffic the other day and just wondered - how many times this slow *** moving traffic was caused by a lorry overtaking another lorry on a motorway and all the vans and other slow moving traffic having to swerve into the rh lane and slow all the others?

So why do those lorries have to overtake another one just to increase their speed by 3 mph ?

Why do Vans have to use RH lane - how many times have you seen a van stuck in the RH lane overtaking noone ? And how dangerous is it to sit behind a van at 70mph without seeing whats infront, because they are too tall and have no rear windows you can see through - if there's an emergency infront of them you wont see anything untill its too late!

And why is the speed limit still 70 ? How long ago was a 70mph limit imposed? How far did the car's safety and brakes and power stats have advanced ? Why not make left hand lane and middle lane's obey 70mph and make the limit at least 80 for the right hand lane.

I know this creates some inequality but i think its obvious that lorries should no endanger anyone by overtaking, and vans arent made to handle speeds over 70mph as well as normal cars. So why do they need to endanger and slow everyone else when they are clearly shouldnt be allowed to do so ?

I would also go as far as arguing that jeeps and people carriers pose the same threats as the vans and banning them from right hand lanes would definatelly decrease all those "cool gangstaz" from using them and hence decrease the CO2 emissions greatly - why increase the tax on 4x4's when you can just make them worse off than normal cars ?

Anyone shares my views?
Old 25 July 2007, 02:35 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Whats the word again?

SIA....something or other
Old 25 July 2007, 02:37 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by serega
So i've been sitting bored in traffic the other day and just wondered - how many times this slow *** moving traffic was caused by a lorry overtaking another lorry on a motorway and all the vans and other slow moving traffic having to swerve into the rh lane and slow all the others?

So why do those lorries have to overtake another one just to increase their speed by 3 mph ?

Why do Vans have to use RH lane - how many times have you seen a van stuck in the RH lane overtaking noone ? And how dangerous is it to sit behind a van at 70mph without seeing whats infront, because they are too tall and have no rear windows you can see through - if there's an emergency infront of them you wont see anything untill its too late!

And why is the speed limit still 70 ? How long ago was a 70mph limit imposed? How far did the car's safety and brakes and power stats have advanced ? Why not make left hand lane and middle lane's obey 70mph and make the limit at least 80 for the right hand lane.

I know this creates some inequality but i think its obvious that lorries should no endanger anyone by overtaking, and vans arent made to handle speeds over 70mph as well as normal cars. So why do they need to endanger and slow everyone else when they are clearly shouldnt be allowed to do so ?

I would also go as far as arguing that jeeps and people carriers pose the same threats as the vans and banning them from right hand lanes would definatelly decrease all those "cool gangstaz" from using them and hence decrease the CO2 emissions greatly - why increase the tax on 4x4's when you can just make them worse off than normal cars ?

Anyone shares my views?
And how do you propose to enforce this when the 70mph limit is rarely enforced on the motorway anyway?
Old 25 July 2007, 02:41 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

and vans aren't made to handle speeds over 70mph as well as normal cars.
You have obviously never driven a Mercedes Sprinter then
Old 25 July 2007, 02:47 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

How do i propose to enforce it ? Easy, just make it a punishable offence - like it is for caravans that are not allowed to go into the right hand lane - do people do it? No, not everyone wants to break the laws.

If you make it a law - some people will prefer not to bother risking points, even if its not too strongly enforced.

I dont care how fast a van is - its just a danger to everyone. And believe me, nomatter how fast the van is - it still is a square box with a diesel engine that has alot of trouble picking up speed past 70mph. So if everyone was to slow down, how long will it take that van to pick the speed up ?
Old 25 July 2007, 03:08 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

it still is a square box with a diesel engine that has alot of trouble picking up speed past 70mph.
You have obviously never driven a Mercedes Sprinter with a petrol engine then
Old 25 July 2007, 03:13 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

OK one at a time...

Lorries overtaking lorries just to go 3mph faster than the lorry they are overtaking are overtaking so to go 3mph faster than the lorry they are overtaking

Only a bad driver would drive so close to a van for it to be "too late" in the instance of a incident... Of course I am not calling you personally a bad driver. I am sure you personally never drive so close to vans so as to risk injury to you and yours.

70mph limits in place because while cars are indeed safer, too many people are tailing white vans they just can't see past Yep, you answered your own question there.

As for the 4x4 thing, I think you have gone a little bit mad and cannot subscribe to your newsletter

But hey, good luck in your quest to right the "wrongs" of the road

Trending Topics

Old 25 July 2007, 07:45 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been working on pegeout chassis van conversions these last few weeks and on the windscreens (brand new vehicles) they have a sticker saying they're limited to 90kmh
For some reason most of them have digital tachos as standard even though they must be around 3.5t and used for private use
didn't realise the rules had changed?