Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lord of the Rings - Masterpiece or just crap?

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2002, 09:40 AM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well,

I went to see Lord of the Rings on Sunday (and my GF's car got broken into but thats another story... see 'South Woodford Odeon - BEWARE' post)... and here are my thoughts re the film...

crap!

It made me want to laugh in bits, the 'serious' bits...
'Mr Frodo' is a w@nker who looks so girly its unreal.
Gandalf is just obi-wan with another name, and not nearly as good.
Liv Tyler is still yummy... but I bet she laughed her head off when she saw 'Mr Frodo'.

Basically it is just star wars but nowhere near as good, great graphics tho...

your thoughts?

M

Old 02 January 2002, 09:55 AM
OBIWAN
Scooby Newbie

And LUCAS invented the wheel! Even ALEC GUINESS thought STAR WARS was pap when making it. So don't knock LOTR!
Old 02 January 2002, 10:03 AM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

you of all people should respect Star Wars... LOTR is crap, simple as that...buncho ponces

M
Old 02 January 2002, 01:05 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

My sister said all her friends who had seen it were v. dissappointed - seems it's a case of hype,hype,hype.

I'll wait for the dvd and see it on my projector. Can't face 3+ hrs cramped into a cinema seat if its a dodgy film.
Old 02 January 2002, 01:08 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I'm going to see LOTR tonight so perhaps I'm not in a position to comment yet - but all these quotes about it being 'better than Star Wars' - I doubt it.

Star Wars was original at the time. LOTR is just a rehash for the present day?

I can't think of any movie franchise (apart from the James Bond movies) that has lasted so long and stood the test of time so well.

Just my 2p worth...

Den
Old 02 January 2002, 01:18 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I think I was the first person here to say I was less than impressed.I was amazed that people were so thrilled by it but then thats arts for you. I found it pretty boring and unispiring with no sense of an epic film despite the great effects and number of settings. The cinema I went too a number of people actually walked out during the film.

Star was is just in a different league so can't be compared.

AllanB
Old 02 January 2002, 02:14 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well, Having been to see the movie four times now, I can honestly say that this is one of the most enjoyable films I have ever watched.

It is a pity that some of the story line was dumbed down for the America audience, but then you have to face the fact that nobody makes a movie out of love for the arts anymore. The movie had to make money or the other two would never be released.

I am a little sad to hear people bagging this movie, and possibly putting others off from seeing it.

Go and see the film and decide for yourself !

I have read the books many times and this was one of my most anticipated releases of all time. In the end I was not dissapointed. It is true that not everything from the book is in the movie, but who (apart from me ) would be willing to sit through a six hour movie ?

If anyone wants to get into a really beardy discussion of how bad the movie was and how 'Peter Jackson raped my childhood ...' (an acutal quote from some nobber, then go and visit the alt.fan.tolkien newsgroup. They are doing a special this month on discussions as to if Balrogs really have wings or not

This post is turning out to be longer than LOTR, so I will stop rambling now. But remember, ...

Go and see the movie yourself and make up your own mind.

Andrew.

Trending Topics

Old 02 January 2002, 02:51 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

Andrew I back up your comments there, except I was more disappointed from a fan view

Oh and Star Wars has less of a story line than LOTR sorry, just not a Star Wars fan! I think all the Star wars films are not crap but just not my type of Science Fiction MY OPINION ONLY so don't jump on me for saying that
Old 02 January 2002, 04:15 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

>I am a little sad to hear people bagging this movie
Baggin this movie - Very funny

I thought it was pants. I didn't like Star Wars episode 1 either....too many effects and too long. Frodo is one ugly ******, bet he drives an MY01

Old 02 January 2002, 04:28 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Lord of the Rings was, I thought, very good indeed. It is one of those films that is going to be in one class by itself (a high one in my humble view) and in a much higher class when the other two come out. Remember, the other two films are likely to be better.

There were funny bits, yes, but it was well crafted, quality acting from most of the relatively unknown cast. The special effects were excellent, atmosphere was fantastic, action was unflagging and the essence of LOTR as I remember it was captured perfectly.

We need to stop judging films against hype and judge them for the single, one shot films they are. Judge LOTR against Attack of the Clones (WHAT A CR@P NAME!!), Behind Enemy Lines, Spygame and Harry Potter and see how it fares. Then judge it against older 'classic' films of the same genre and see how it fares.

I think it was pretty good.
Old 02 January 2002, 06:11 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

brilliant imo.The Phantom menace was by comparison a dog turd of a film.
Old 02 January 2002, 07:09 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Phantom Menace was utterly dire. LOTR must be better as it is nigh on impossible to get worse!
Old 02 January 2002, 07:24 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Who was talking about the Phanton Menace??? I was talking about the 'proper' Star Wars... phantom menace was also crap
Old 03 January 2002, 11:53 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Saw LOTR last night and thought it was brilliant - on pure scale alone i thought it was incredible. So its not to everyones tastes - no film ever can be.
I can't see how it can be compared to Star Wars, its a totally different film/type of film.

Each to their own but I thought it was great and can't wait for the next.

(BTW Me or the other half haven't read the LOTR books but I have read The Hobbit, my mum and dad have both read the books and thought the film was excellent too). If they had tried to put the whole book in the film it would have taken a day or two to watch!!!!
Old 03 January 2002, 04:31 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

just seen it.....

bored me silly, too long, too much chatting with pan pipes in the background, to many fly pasts by the "oh, look at the hills" camera plane, to many big orchestral climaxes to make the statues, etc seem even more spectacular.

heres an idea, take the elf with the bow and arrow, stalker, gandalf and the fat dwarf and just stick them in more fights, up the rating to 18 get jez bruckheimer to produce and michael mann to direct. (oh, and get gandalf to carry his magic stick in a holster half way down his leg "han solo style" and make it a bit more usefull to him)

then send the bloke who drew all the pretty landscape scenes his p45 and send him back to disney.

Tiggs

ps- bit where elf bloke stabed the ork with his arrow before using the same arrow to shoot another was great!

pps- who said an unknow cast???? think a few of them might have something to say about that!!!!!
Old 03 January 2002, 04:39 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

I nearly laughed me heed off when the dwarf bloke said 'and you have my axe'... ****, nothing a nuke wouldn't sort out

[Edited by mattski2 - 03/01/2002 16:49:29]
Old 03 January 2002, 04:40 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

I thought it was ok, quite enjoyed it.. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Too long though.

I didn't even realise ppl were comparing it to star wars?!? JAR JAR BINKS MUST DIE!

Enjoyed it loads more than episode 1
Old 03 January 2002, 04:44 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

I saw it at the weekend (haven't read the book, might have read the hobbit though) and thought it was very good. The ending isn't good, but only because there's 2 books to go. Special effects were good (apart from the things coming out of a hole in the ceiling and running down the walls ala 'The Mummy'. Directors: don't do that anymore it's boring)
Frodo does look girly though, and there were bits where it seemed like scenes were cut, but other than that, go see it. A modern day Raiders of the Lost Ark, not Star Wars in my opinion.
Old 03 January 2002, 04:52 PM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

LOL, how can you compare it to Star Wars.....LOTR has a storyline and heritage from the book hehehe
Old 03 January 2002, 04:54 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

Actually, Star Wars did have one thing going for it........Harrison Ford
Old 03 January 2002, 05:24 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

two missing lines that would have made it more bearable:-

as they enter the dwarf city in the mine- "and you'd think they be the last ones to need all this head room"

on the breaking bridge that the hobbits are thrown accross and just after dwarf bloke says "no one tosses a dwarf"- make up your own amusing line

Tiggs
Old 03 January 2002, 05:27 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

if you did want to 'toss' a dwarf would you have to hold his 'axe'? I'll get me coat...
Old 03 January 2002, 09:01 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

LOTR rocked, but Star Wars is THE daddy!!

IMHO, look at both and they have rather more in common than you think - just look at the story lines, Good versus Evil, Bad guys dressed in black, small band of warriors versus a multitude of bad dudes (Chelle - my flame-suit's ready )

One clincher for SW over LOTR - the Millenium Falcon (Harrison never did it for me personally), who would say no to one?!

I've probably completely missed the point of this thread, but at the end of the day it's all top-notch entertainment (which is surely what matters the most).

DP.
Old 03 January 2002, 09:17 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

LOL@Phil I am not gonna get all argumentative over your opinion (wait till I see you [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] )

But sorry has Star Wars got a book behind it that can be classed as one of the greatest booke ever written? Hmmmm.....no LOL I rest my case

I won't say any more as I am sure some people won't appreciate my humour as much s others will and will think I am being serious or take it the wrong way
Old 03 January 2002, 09:52 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry Chelle

I'm going to hide in a dark place........
Old 03 January 2002, 10:46 PM
pedestrian
Scooby Regular

LOL Tiggs about the headroom.

I think everyone ought to remember one thing about LOTR, it was written by Tolkien primarily for his kids, just like J K Rowling did with Harry Potter. If anybody reckons LOTR is naff maybe they ought to take a little kid to see it and ask them for their opinion.

And if people are disilloushioned (I dont know how to spell disilloushioned!!) about cinema then I implore you to see Amelie. It will easily restore your faith in cinema and raise it to a completely new level.

"Smiley icon" - I dont know how to do them - sorry!
Old 04 January 2002, 12:12 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

just seen rush hour 2 on dvd, far more entertaining!
Old 04 January 2002, 08:38 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

well i'm looking to see this tomorrow nite all things going to plan !!

so i'll let you know.

i'm sure it'll be excellent.

steve
Old 04 January 2002, 08:55 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Smile

Right... I saw LOTR over Christmas.

I enjoyed the film, ignored the bits that where added in to make the audience happy.

Sorry but how does Star Wars beat LOTR... seeing LOTR was written way before Star Wars was thought up where do you think George 'Yet andother franchise opportunity' Lucas got some of his ideas!?

I am just a little disappointed I have to wait another year for the second 'book' and year after that for the final one, especially as they were made back to back.

'Agent Smith' must be the coolest man on the planet, how he could still look hard with clips in his hair was truely amazing.

As it has been said before - go see it is you want and make up your own mind, just make sure you are in the mood to see it and go to the toilet before!
Old 04 January 2002, 11:31 AM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Saw LOTR last night and to say I was very unimpressed. A poor story, well told. But a bit Talk-Batttle- Talk-Batttle-Talk-Batttle-Talk-Batttle-Talk-Batttle-Talk -Batttle-Talk-Batttle-Talk-Batttle-Talk-Batttle-Talk-Batttle-Talk- Batttle-Talk-Batttle-Talk-Batttle-Talk-Batttle-Talk-Batttle-Talk- Batttle-Talk-Batttle-Talk-Batttle-

And it was all abit too perdictable, and no I have not read the book.

Quick Reply: Lord of the Rings - Masterpiece or just crap?