Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Big Brother cameras to track millions of innocent drivers

Big Brother cameras to track millions of innocent drivers
Old 19 July 2007, 07:51 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

As I read it, all it means is that the police will have access to what is already being filmed.

Most of us would think that the police would use this footage anyway. They simply do not have the resources (and probably never will) to 'track all motorists movements'. They will simply just use it, like cctv, to see the movement of crime suspects.

So, a non-story really.
Old 19 July 2007, 08:01 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Yep - no big deal - the roads / motorway bridges and gantrys are littered with cameras monitoring traffic flow etc and as Dracoro says it's just that it seems the police are going to look at it a bit more now.
Fine with me! A much more sensible idea than black boxes in every car.
Plus if it tracks a million cars, and one of them is a terrorists, tracked and stopped as a result of these cameras then they're worth their weight in gold.
Old 19 July 2007, 08:25 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

THe difference between what is being proposed, and what is currently the case is that police will have access to live footage from congestion charge cameras etc, whereas at the moment they have to request access of records through court orders.

THe net impact on the average person is zero, your car is being filmed regardless, all that is changing is the person potentially watching feed
Old 19 July 2007, 11:40 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is all down to a matter of principle really. The point is, do you mind the authorities being able to know exactly where you have been and what you are doing at all times-that is what it is leading to!

Les
Old 19 July 2007, 11:42 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is all down to a matter of principle really. The point is, do you mind the authorities being able to know exactly where you have been and what you are doing at all times-that is what it is leading to!

Les
Personally, yes I do mind. But I think in this instance the impact is minimal. All that will happen is that the police can tell what time a given car entered the city, and what time it left, in real time rather than requesting tapes.
Old 19 July 2007, 11:46 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
THe net impact on the average person is zero, your car is being filmed regardless, all that is changing is the person potentially watching feed
the net impact is that there will be computers watching the live feed, these will no doubt be put to use plotting and logging the movements of vehicles as you go about your daily life.

as other people have mentioned this will no doubt lead on to more logging / surveillance, just another erosion of your privacy.

Trending Topics

Old 19 July 2007, 11:49 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
the net impact is that there will be computers watching the live feed, these will no doubt be put to use plotting and logging the movements of vehicles as you go about your daily life.

as other people have mentioned this will no doubt lead on to more logging / surveillance, just another erosion of your privacy.
How does it lead to a further erosion of privacy? It's already in place. The computers are already logging registrations as they go in and out of the city. All that has changed is that the police can access this information immediatly rather than having to wait for it.
Old 19 July 2007, 11:59 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
How does it lead to a further erosion of privacy? It's already in place. The computers are already logging registrations as they go in and out of the city. All that has changed is that the police can access this information immediatly rather than having to wait for it.
as i understand it, currently the the plate information is stored and then compared to who has paid to enter congestion zone. if a mismatch is made then the bill is sent to the owner of the vehicle that was in the zone. if the police had an issue with a vehicle then they would request if that vehicle was ever in the zone (in a given time frame). this is a whole lot ifferent to real time logging of peoples movements and the ability to track a veihicle in real time.
Old 19 July 2007, 12:13 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
this is a whole lot ifferent to real time logging of peoples movements and the ability to track a veihicle in real time.
Why is it?

They arent going to be looking at every car, they arent going to care or even have the resources if they did care.

They are going to be looking for specific cars based on intelligence. If they want to know if car reg Y324 TUD enters the city they can know in real time, rather than wait a few days. I don't see how tis affects anybodies liberties any further than they are already infringed.
Old 19 July 2007, 12:15 PM
shep ppp
Scooby Regular

Better that than on all those kn0bheads in the house than
Old 19 July 2007, 12:29 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shep ppp
Better that than on all those kn0bheads in the house than
Did I just jump into a parallel universe?
Old 19 July 2007, 08:59 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

...but they aren't just tracking "you", they are also looking at people around you. Thus, if you happen to drive alongside or behind a suspected terrorist, you get a flag on your record by "association". If that happens a few times, then you may yourself get targeted.

Then, if this doesn't come up with enough evidence to arrest a few suspects, they will crank up the criteria and start to flag "associates of associates".

Bear in mind that there is a theory that you are only 6 associations away from every single person on the planet - lets just hope that the 90 days detention without charge doesn't get past the House of Lords!!!

mb
Old 19 July 2007, 10:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Anyone who cares about being tracked has something to hide IMO ..... I would LOVE to track the Pikeys and Gypsies and nail them for every crime they commit

Bring it on and ID Cards as well - let's get on with it ... all this liberty crap is just that, CRAP!
Old 19 July 2007, 11:04 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

they probably still wouldn't do anything about the pikeys and scumbags even if they knew where they were
Old 19 July 2007, 11:09 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I don't like this kind of stuff. Basically the masses who conform and just step out of line ever so slightly great jumped on. The people who just buck the whole system get away with it.

You know the people who steal a car, use someone else's legitimate plates to drive on. No insurance etc etc. These cameras don't detect that kind of stuff. All they do is send fines to the poor person who had his plate cloned.

It is a slippery slope, I don't like it
Old 19 July 2007, 11:24 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
...but they aren't just tracking "you", they are also looking at people around you. Thus, if you happen to drive alongside or behind a suspected terrorist, you get a flag on your record by "association". If that happens a few times, then you may yourself get targeted.

Then, if this doesn't come up with enough evidence to arrest a few suspects, they will crank up the criteria and start to flag "associates of associates".

Bear in mind that there is a theory that you are only 6 associations away from every single person on the planet - lets just hope that the 90 days detention without charge doesn't get past the House of Lords!!!

mb
You need to lay off the crack a bit
Old 19 July 2007, 11:33 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer

mb
If its the police asking then fine, if its politicians asking then maybe not.
Personally I don't have a problem with this, thanks to our police and security services we don't know the half of whats going on at the moment, if they need this for pacific instances then fine, I'm guessing they will need to have some decent evidence to hold someone for that amount of time, or they'll be in the **** later, if it takes that long to gather Intel to break a cell then let them have it, better than having a bomb go bang up our *****.

As for the original post, I think it sounds fine, its the use of more technology like trackers in cars that you should worry about..I for one will not have on in my car.
Old 19 July 2007, 11:42 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JPF
As for the original post, I think it sounds fine, its the use of more technology like trackers in cars that you should worry about..I for one will not have on in my car.
can you not see that changes such as these pave the way for those that you do not want?

do some research on the subject, you may not like what you find.
Old 19 July 2007, 11:43 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Bring it on and ID Cards as well - let's get on with it ... all this liberty crap is just that, CRAP!
poor bait mr rocket scientist who can't figure out that putting 45 litres into a 60 litre tank does not equal 60 litres used.
Old 20 July 2007, 12:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Anyone who cares about being tracked has something to hide IMO ..... I would LOVE to track the Pikeys and Gypsies and nail them for every crime they commit

All that sort of information means incredible power over the people by the authorities and I personally am not inclined to trust politicians and their patsies with that kind of information.

Les
Old 20 July 2007, 12:41 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

To show you have nothing to hide and are truely behind the ID card scheme, please complete the following with your personal data.

full name

other names by which person is or has been known

date of birth

place of birth

address of principal place of residence in the United Kingdom

the address of every other place in the United Kingdom or elsewhere where person has a place of residence.
Identifying information

a photograph of head and shoulders

signature

fingerprints

other biometric information
Residential status

nationality

entitlement to remain in the United Kingdom where that entitlement derives from a grant of leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom, the terms and conditions of that leave
Personal reference numbers

National Identity Registration Number

the number of any ID card issued

allocated national insurance number

the number of any relevant immigration document

the number of their United Kingdom passport

the number of any passport issued to the individual by or on behalf of the authorities of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom or by or on behalf of an international organisation

the number of any document that can be used by them (in some or all circumstances) instead of a passport;

the number of any identity card issued to him/her by the authorities of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom

any reference number allocated to him/her by the secretary of state in connection with an application made by him for permission to enter or to remain in the United Kingdom

the number of any work permit relating to him/her;

any driver number given to him/her by a driving licence;

the number of any designated document which is held by him/her and is a document the number of which does not fall within any of the preceding sub-paragraphs

the date of expiry or period of validity of a document the number of which is recorded by virtue of this paragraph.
Record history

information falling within the preceding paragraphs that has previously been recorded about him/her in the Register

particulars of changes affecting that information and of changes made to his/her entry in the Register

date of death.
Registration and ID card history

the date of every application for registration made by him/her

the date of every application by him/her for a modification of the contents of his entry

the date of every application by him/her confirming the contents of his entry (with or without changes)

the reason for any omission from the information recorded in his/her entry

particulars (in addition to its number) of every ID card issued to him/her

whether each such card is in force and, if not, why not

particulars of every person who has countersigned an application by him/her for an ID card or a designated document, so far as those particulars were included on the application

particulars of every notification given about lost, stolen and damaged ID cards

particulars of every requirement by the secretary of state for the individual to surrender an ID card issued to him.
Validation information

the information provided in connection with every application to be entered in the Register, for a modification of the contents of his entry or for the issue of an ID card

the information provided in connection with every application confirming entry in the Register (with or without changes)

particulars of the steps taken, in connection with an application mentioned in paragraph (a) or (b) or otherwise, for identifying the applicant or for verifying the information provided in connection with the application

particulars of any other steps taken or information obtained for ensuring that there is a complete, up-to-date and accurate entry about that individual in the Register

particulars of every notification given by that individual for changing details in the register.
Security information

a personal identification number to be used for facilitating the making of applications for information recorded in his/her entry, and for facilitating the provision of the information;

a password or other code to be used for that purpose or particulars of a method of generating such a password or code

questions and answers to be used for identifying a person seeking to make such an application or to apply for or to make a modification of that entry.
Records of provision of information

particulars of every occasion on which information contained in the individual's entry has been provided to a person

particulars of every person to whom such information has been provided on such an occasion

other particulars, in relation to each such occasion, of the provision of the information.
Failure to do so will be taken as acceptance that you are in fact lying and in reality don't support ID cards at all.
Old 20 July 2007, 01:36 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Then to pay for the extra cameras required to plug the gaps they will sell the data to Tesco. Then when you drive into town they will call your mobile with todays special offers ... aaaargh !!! They might call your home number, then your wife will find out that you are driving into town and she didn't know. I may have nothing to fear, but I may want to keep certain things hidden from others
Old 20 July 2007, 01:49 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Then to pay for the extra cameras required to plug the gaps they will sell the data to Tesco. Then when you drive into town they will call your mobile with todays special offers ... aaaargh !!! They might call your home number, then your wife will find out that you are driving into town and she didn't know. I may have nothing to fear, but I may want to keep certain things hidden from others
You kind of jumped ahead of me there!

That list was from the BBC website proposing the dataset that will be held on the ID database for each individual. Now putting aside the appauling track record of poor security in governmental IT projects, they have already stated they are considering selling on the data they have harvested to commercial organisations to fund the ID card system.

So before anybody says they think ID cards are a good thing, I think it's only fair they show they have nothing to hide by providing the above personal data about themself on here so we can take their claim seriously.
Old 20 July 2007, 03:04 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

perhaps a vote ?????????
Old 20 July 2007, 03:56 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...hlight=liberty

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...hlight=liberty

As a free and innocent person I object to records being kept and/or used by anyone on my movements. If I am under suspicion and they have acquired the correct legal permissions then fair enough, but if/when this becomes active it will be a sad day for personal liberty in this country. I am no terrorist, but in a couple of seconds I can think of ways to by-pass such a system if I want to use a vehicle to perpetrate such an act. It will stop no such thing, and the terrorism excuse is pathetic justification for totalitarian clandestine monitoring of the populous.

Politicians are voted in to represent us and manage the country on behalf of us all. They seem to lose sight of that fact the closer they get to London, and begin feathering their own nests with backhanders and lining themselves up for profitable jobs once the political career has gone t!ts-up. I wonder who will be on the board of directors of the private ANPR Monitoring Company in 10 years time
Old 20 July 2007, 09:19 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
You need to lay off the crack a bit
Six degrees of separation

..anyway, i am a teapot

mb
Old 21 July 2007, 12:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...hlight=liberty

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...hlight=liberty

As a free and innocent person I object to records being kept and/or used by anyone on my movements. If I am under suspicion and they have acquired the correct legal permissions then fair enough, but if/when this becomes active it will be a sad day for personal liberty in this country. I am no terrorist, but in a couple of seconds I can think of ways to by-pass such a system if I want to use a vehicle to perpetrate such an act. It will stop no such thing, and the terrorism excuse is pathetic justification for totalitarian clandestine monitoring of the populous.

Politicians are voted in to represent us and manage the country on behalf of us all. They seem to lose sight of that fact the closer they get to London, and begin feathering their own nests with backhanders and lining themselves up for profitable jobs once the political career has gone t!ts-up. I wonder who will be on the board of directors of the private ANPR Monitoring Company in 10 years time
I agree.

Les
Old 21 July 2007, 12:35 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by speedking
Then to pay for the extra cameras required to plug the gaps they will sell the data to Tesco. Then when you drive into town they will call your mobile with todays special offers ... aaaargh !!! ...
Brilliant!

All this stuff is OK - as long as everyone involved is honest and just and decent! - if ( ) people can hack in or persons with access to the data are... say... err... - dishonest and collect data for 'private use' then there can be problems...