recommend me a squash racket please

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2007, 11:41 PM
nix_pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommend me a squash racket please

Just been browsing ebay for me an a mate and came across these two options:

2x Dunlop C-Max 525 Carbon Squash Rackets RRP £320 on eBay Rackets, Squash, Sporting Goods

2x Slazenger Carbon 110 Squash Rackets RRP £320 on eBay Rackets, Squash, Sporting Goods

Used to play a bit at uni and am a fairly keen badminton player so although im fairly new to it all, can hold my own against some average players.

My previous racket was a Wilson one circa £60. The carbon cracked when i clashed with a cheapo metal racket

At first i was looking to buy the lightest racket, but was told Prince and Dunlop are the ones to go for but an expensive Prince racket seems to be around the 150g mark and the above slazenger is only 110g??

Any advice or reviews would be great.

cheers

Nick
Old 18 July 2007, 05:30 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Do you belong to a club where there is someone who sells rackets - they should have demo rackets that you can try. It's difficult to give specific advice about rackets because there are so many different weighted / balanced rackets around - and it boils down to individual preference.

The weight isn't really an issue, it's really about the balance - a 110g racket can feel heavier than a 150g racket if it's head heavy.

Dunlop / Prince / Wilson / Head / Unsquashable all have a reasonable range, but you should be able to pick up a decent racket for £60 - £70 as per the ebay options you mention.

Cheers

Simes
Squash Coach
Old 18 July 2007, 05:55 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Agree its a very individual thing how it feels in your hand (oooeeerr)

I used to play for my county years ago and started playing again recently with my old squash bat. Broke a string and had to use a friends - boy did it feel odd - ruined my game - and that was a very expensive branded racquet.

My advice is get one that "feels right" and I tend to know the moment I pick it up - and dont be influenced by major brands or how much it costs new or stuff like that - for ages I played with a £50 racquet that was just perfect for me, gutted when I broke it.
Old 18 July 2007, 08:55 PM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

I've got a dunlop hot melt.. I do like it, but don't really find it that much better than a cheapo dunlop that my old man uses..

it is light, and it does look really smart, but I snapped the strings on its maiden voyage.. agree with the advice above, have a play with them..