Bulimia

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2007, 04:28 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulimia

Hello

I have a friend who has been suffering with Bulimia for 20 years or so. It is now time to try to get them to sort it out.

There are various websites and books that I can wade through, but I am looking for any experiences from people on here.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 16 July 2007, 04:50 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I know 2 people that have had it. Thing that helped them was addressing the problem that made them want to make themselves sick then they could sort it out.
Old 16 July 2007, 06:46 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I used to manage someone who had bulimia and I knew of another person who had it. I learned 2 things.

1. It's really not about the food, that is merely a symptom of a much deeper problem(s).

2. They will only get better when they want to. It takes a lot of time effort and energy for them to fix whatever's wrong so they really have to want to do it if they're going to see it through.

All I can suggest is that you are always there to 100% support and guide them - never judge and, if appropriate/ possible try to see if they are amendable to some form of professional counselling.
Old 16 July 2007, 10:55 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An ex of mine had it. It's very destructive. She dealt with it quite well when we were togeather, or should I say kept it well hidden.

That's the thing with it, it's a condition that the person uses to punish themselves. I was in the Navy at the time and spend a long time away from home, this gave her the space to do what she wanted/needed.

When I left the RN to be with her it became to much and went out of control. She sought counselling and it helped to a point, but we still split - her decission not mine, I would never have left her.

It's a very private condition and I'd suggest that anyone with it approaches a doctor for some advice in dealing with it. That's the biggest problem, getting someone to admit that it is a problem and that they have to face up to other issues.

Quite sad really that it's mostly young girls (mostly, but not soley). Does this prove the female brain is more emotional(unstable?) that the male - or are us guys just too thick skinned/stupid?
Old 17 July 2007, 08:21 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the information. It is actually a man (for gpssti4).

I guess the Doctor route is the way to go. He was afraid of having something like that on his GP record as certain jobs require a check and it is classed as a mental illness.

Steve