Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Shar Pei

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2007, 10:56 PM
porkerboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shar Pei

Quite fancy a Shar Pei as a new edition to the household.

Anyone have any advice. I don't want a dog that is particularly aggressive - have heard mixed reports.

Also want a dog that is fairly athletic and will fetch a ball, go on long walks etc.

I am barking up the wrong tree ( ) with wanting a Shar Pei?

Any advice chaps?

Porkerboy.
Old 15 July 2007, 11:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are cute .............................

BUT, if it's a real mans dog you want ......

Clever, loyal, good looking, tough, fit and will defend you to the death - look no further than the Classic of all breeds:-

8df3ec86.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 15 July 2007, 11:05 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

They are originally fighting dogs.
Granted, most beeders are doing a good job of breeding the nature out but there will always be that unknown element.
Old 15 July 2007, 11:06 PM
Zola-the-master
Scooby Regular

Great looking dog there Mr Lewis, Only problem is its GERMAN...
Old 15 July 2007, 11:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zola-the-master
Great looking dog there Mr Lewis, Only problem is its GERMAN...
It's a long story .... but, the British version is the Alsation (developed during and after the War)

The dog posted above is 50% German and 50% British - the best mix of all IMO
Old 15 July 2007, 11:24 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

A friend of mine has one that grew into it's skin, had eyelashes that grew into it's eyes, doesn't like to be touched and hates other dogs.
Old 15 July 2007, 11:56 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
It's a long story .... but, the British version is the Alsation (developed during and after the War)

The dog posted above is 50% German and 50% British - the best mix of all IMO
The British/Worlwide version is the German Shepherd Dog. The name Alsation was given during and after the war to distance us from the word German, that's all.

I'd be really interested in why you think a 50/50 mix is the best as it's my field, so be careful of any seeping diarrhea that might find it's way into your post.

Oh and you can throw in the dogs pedigree too if you want.

As for Shar Pei's I know nothing but I have a few fully trained GSD's if you fancy or maybe a puppy.
Old 16 July 2007, 08:26 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
She has an excellent line ... her grandfather was the UK champion in the 90's and appears in most of the books on GSDs. He has a mark on his tongue, as my dog has too.

Her KC name is Oriana Bright Star ..... I could dig out the line if you are really interested, I know its very good.
Old 16 July 2007, 09:26 AM
GOLDMAN 555
Scooby Regular

I have 2 Shar Peis and I love them to death they are by far the best dogs I have had. Great with children and very good burglar alarms. My house was broken into twice before I got the dogs and I am not sure someone would try it again without the risk of leaving significant quantities of DNA around……

There is some bad news with Shar Peis they can be very very aggressive with strangers so strict training is needed
You cannot leave them alone for long periods they need to be part of the pack
They are very expensive to buy expect to pay around £1000 for one…… do not buy a cheap one you will pay later
They are very expensive to run I have spent a cumulative £5,000 on medical fees for both my dogs in the past three years. Pet insurance is a must
They require extensive walking as they are an extreme working dog used by Chinese farmers as guard dogs for large expanses of land. I walk my dog's 4 miles at least everyday.
Lastly be ready for plenty of weird illnesses
These dogs are different having come from China they don't share most doggy characteristics with common UK breeds

I'm not too sure they are the sort dog that fetches a ball neither of mine seem remotely interested in that sort of thing. If you want a dog that fetches a ball how about an American Bulldog?

Anyway in summary Shar Peis are the best dog around if you're prepared to put in the effort if you're not be prepared for trouble

Last edited by GOLDMAN 555; 16 July 2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 16 July 2007, 05:20 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

The British/Worlwide version is the German Shepherd Dog. The name Alsation was given during and after the war to distance us from the word German, that's all.

I'd be really interested in why you think a 50/50 mix is the best as it's my field, so be careful of any seeping diarrhea that might find it's way into your post.

As for Shar Pei's I know nothing but I have a few fully trained GSD's if you fancy or maybe a puppy.

Correct.

GSDs/Alsation are however long coat, short coat, black and tan, sable, black or white but they are all the same breed.
Must admit that is a fine specimin though pslewis.
Old 16 July 2007, 05:30 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

NAH!, run that....

get a staffy - beautiful dogs and normally have excellent temperament.
Old 16 July 2007, 05:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

A young woman goes to the vet with her alsation dog and explains what the problem is.

"Every time I bend over, he jumps on my back and, well, you know, does the business. Getting something out of the fridge, putting something in the bin, making the bed: every time I bend over, he's there humping away."

"I see" says the vet "I suppose you want him put down?"

"No, just clip his nails, please"

SORRY!!
Old 16 July 2007, 05:36 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

aaww! look a de lickkle doggie

Old 16 July 2007, 05:40 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by All Torque
Correct.

GSDs/Alsation are however long coat, short coat, black and tan, sable, black or white but they are all the same breed.
Must admit that is a fine specimin though pslewis.
Technically from SV breed standard, long coats shouldn't be bred, nor should certain colours as they are classified as faults.

Pissy, I'd be interested if you have the dog's bloodline. Without seeing her stacked, to me she looks a little on the tall side for honours. Plus her colouring is weak (On that photo).

Ultimately, West German for show although working, (Schutzhund) as well.

DDR / Belgium / Holland for working.

No hard and fast rules just more the norm today.

Check out Atom's Schutzhund training here German Shepherd Dog Personal Protection dog for sale | K-9 Classifieds - Home of the Working Dog
Old 16 July 2007, 05:44 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Shar Peis they could do with a good ironing
Old 16 July 2007, 05:58 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

No advice on the breed, but DEFINITELY get pet insurance, whichever you get!!
Old 16 July 2007, 06:05 PM
wrx-kris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D.K.1
too right! bought mine as soon as i heard about the nose bleed

hope everything is all peachy now though
Old 16 July 2007, 06:11 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Yeah, exactly, never leave it to chance (or put it to one side and forget, like we did) as you never know what's around the corner

Too late once something happens, as we are finding out now.

Fair enough, you could get insurance and never need to use it (if you're lucky) but if you do need to use it for whatever reason then y ou have peace of mind it's there, it's really not worth the risk.

I will find out more when Sonic gets back from the vet, he will probably update the thread

For the original poster, good luck with chosing the breed that suits you
Old 16 July 2007, 06:50 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D.K.1
Should be law if you're going to own a dog. If nothing else the 3rd party liability cover is worth it's weight in gold for the reassurance it gives.

Anybody needing dog insurance, drop me a pm.
Old 16 July 2007, 06:52 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

They are very good, they quite litterally write on ANYTHING!
Old 16 July 2007, 08:07 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

get yourself a kerry blue,proper dog.very little health problems,brilliant guard dogs,love kids and they are very easy trained.they are also great for anyone with allergies as they don't shed their hair and best of all a character you can't help not falling in love with....imho of course!
Old 16 July 2007, 08:42 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I have never bothered with Pet Insurance ..... and never regretted NOT having it!

Put the £25 a month into an account each month when the dog is a puppy, most dogs are fine for about 8 years and that equals £2400 + Interest!

Plenty enough to deal with anything that the little blighter gets up to - I have always, without exception made a 'profit' this way!

As for 3rd party?? Bollox to that - if you have no Insurance they don't come after you - if you do, you are in hell for a couple of years.

Bottom Line = Don't bother!! IMO

Last edited by pslewis; 16 July 2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 16 July 2007, 11:31 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I have never bothered with Pet Insurance ..... and never regretted NOT having it!

Put the £25 a month into an account each month when the dog is a puppy, most dogs are fine for about 8 years and that equals £2400 + Interest!

Plenty enough to deal with anything that the little blighter gets up to - I have always, without exception made a 'profit' this way!

As for 3rd party?? Bollox to that - if you have no Insurance they don't come after you - if you do, you are in hell for a couple of years.

Bottom Line = Don't bother!! IMO
£25/Month!!! WTF you insuring, dog and yacht? Typically bad advice on a subject you clearly no nothing about, Pissy. That's the problem with allowing everyone on a public messageboard.

The first 12 months of a GSD puppy can go either way, likewise many other dogs too.

As for 3rd party, well, some of us don't pretend to not be responsible. I rest in the knowledge my hounds don't cause a road accident, or hurt a child etc and leave others out of pocket. You seriously reckon you don't get people coming after you if you have no insurance.

Bottom line = Own a dog, be responsible.
Old 17 July 2007, 02:47 AM
scooby_girlie
Scooby Regular

£25/Month!!! WTF you insuring, dog and yacht? Typically bad advice on a subject you clearly no nothing about, Pissy. That's the problem with allowing everyone on a public messageboard.

The first 12 months of a GSD puppy can go either way, likewise many other dogs too.

As for 3rd party, well, some of us don't pretend to not be responsible. I rest in the knowledge my hounds don't cause a road accident, or hurt a child etc and leave others out of pocket. You seriously reckon you don't get people coming after you if you have no insurance.

Bottom line = Own a dog, be responsible.
I agree. You just don't know what will happen. For instance, I had a Labrador, really good pedigree. And at 6 months, she got shot in the head with a pellet gun when we were out walking. She nearly died and the vet bills were huge. It would have been a nightmare had we not been insured. There was nothing I could have done to prevent that from happening, so I needed the insurance to pay.

Back to the topic. Shar Peis are lovely dogs, but they had a very bad rep in the past. And yes breeders have done their best to breed it out, but, like anything genetic, the possibilites of a nasty side are still there. And yes they do have weird and (not so) wonderful illnesses.

Others dogs that would seem to fit that discription would be the Ladrador, the Collie or the Retriever. I know these are very common in comparison to the Shar Pei, but they do match with all the things you want in a dog - not remotely vicious, very energetic, play fetch. But if you wanted something slightly less common go for the Rhodesian Ridgeback, the Tibetan Terrior, the Great Dane or the Dalamation. All of which are lovely dogs.

Last edited by scooby_girlie; 17 July 2007 at 02:51 AM.
Old 17 July 2007, 09:41 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
They are very good, they quite litterally write on ANYTHING!