Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Driving Trip to France

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2001, 12:27 PM
philgr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I am planning a driving trip to france sometime in the new year. As i have never been to france before i am looking for any suggestions, advice, places to go / not to go etc...
My rough plan is to mix up my accomadation, sometimes camp and sometimes stay in a hotel

Any advice would be great
Thanx in advance

Phil G
Old 30 December 2001, 09:35 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Phil.
Jane & myself went on a driving holiday to France for 2 years running. The first year we just travelled around the north then the second year we used the ferry to get down to northern Spain & travelled along the south. I recommend doing the south as we travelled through Monaco, Cannes etc & it was a bit of an eye opener, the money people have down there is amazing. The Yachts in Cannes harbour were worth millions We used to drive along the coast road & stop every now & again to go for a swim in the med We then went over the Alps which were also amazing then drove up through France & caught a ferry from St Malo. The only downside to that trip was the amount of driving. An average of 1000 miles per week although alot of that was through the centre of France.
We spent most of the time camping as the weather was so good & the campsites are easy to find, very good & cheap (one was only 42p per night right next to the Somme river ) although the south was very expensive. Anyway must go, my tea`s ready
Old 31 December 2001, 04:22 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

.... a few thoughts;

they drive on the wrong side of the road - you have to think twice about which way to go round roundabouts (I stuck a large arrow pointing right on the top of the windscreen with the word 'KERB' underneath [does this qualify me for Muppetdom?])to keep my orientation correct.

You may have to adjust your headlights for night driving. You may have to carry an accident warning triangle (not sure about these two)

if you want to get from A to B, take the autoroutes - they're tolled, but fast, otherwise use the 'Route Nationales' or lesser roads.

get decent maps - they save hours of time and save endless arguments (alright, so I'm married).

don't go in August - every Frenchman is on holiday, the roads are packed and the kill rate goes thru the roof.

campsites are very well equipped.

staying in small hotels (bed and breakfast) is brilliant - and cheap compared to the UK.

places I really liked - Paris, Carcassonne, Nimes, Chartres, South Coast .......

Jump on the internet - there should be masses of informative websites

If you want books, try the Michelin Guide series

Bon Route