Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

People who go to the pub with no cash...

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2007, 11:55 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry People who go to the pub with no cash...

<rant mode on>

Having civilised drink down my local tonight and couldn't believe how many people were paying by card.

It was especially annoying when last orders were called.

If you are too lazy or stupid to go to the cashpoint before going down a pub, then you should be banned from pubs. Only a twanny goes to a pub without sufficient cash.

Forget banning frickin smokers, ban people who are incapable of going to a pub with cash.

<rant mode off>
Old 29 June 2007, 11:57 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you moan behind people in the petrol station buying petrol via credit card?

Lager, for example, is more expensive than petrol!!!

400% more!!
Old 29 June 2007, 11:57 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

I reckon its mostly students, really annoying
Old 29 June 2007, 11:59 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I always pay by card.... didn't realise it makes me a lesser person
Old 30 June 2007, 12:04 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I was in Morrisons the other day picking up something for lunch when i notice the guy in front of me has a tin of quality own brand soup. Girl at checkout asks for 27p .................. the guy pulls out his switch card & pays with it

Whats the world coming to ?
Old 30 June 2007, 12:04 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

400% more!!
No. I pay by card for petrol. However, the payment systems are much faster in most petrol stations/shops etc, because they don't use remote handheld machines. Handheld machines are fine in restaurants, for example, because you pay only once at the end of your visit.

In a busy pub however, it causes long waits when someone pays by card.
Old 30 June 2007, 12:08 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by fast bloke
I always pay by card.... didn't realise it makes me a lesser person
I'm interested to know why you always pay by card in pubs.

Do you prefer paying by card rather than going to a cashpoint first?

Surely it's quicker and easier to pay cash...
Old 30 June 2007, 12:12 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Cashless Society is the Vision of many, is it not?
Old 30 June 2007, 12:16 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
I'm interested to know why you always pay by card in pubs.

Do you prefer paying by card rather than going to a cashpoint first?

Surely it's quicker and easier to pay cash...
My local is about 600 yards away. The nearest cashpoint is about 9 miles away. On top of that - say I wanted to go out for a couple of pints and drive the 18 mile trip to get twenty quid. What happens if I want to buy a round for someone I didn't know was going to be there? Why do the 18 mile trip and then buy the rounds on card anyway?
Old 30 June 2007, 12:28 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
My local is about 600 yards away. The nearest cashpoint is about 9 miles away. On top of that - say I wanted to go out for a couple of pints and drive the 18 mile trip to get twenty quid. What happens if I want to buy a round for someone I didn't know was going to be there? Why do the 18 mile trip and then buy the rounds on card anyway?
Fair point. For you (presuming the local isn't heaving on a Friday night), it does make sense to pay by card. You are hereby back on my Christmas card list.

However, the town my local is in has 2 free cashpoints within a few hundred yards of the pub, and also has a cashpoint inside the pub (with a £1.50 charge for using it). It is also frequented by fairly well off people who seem to be the most likely to pay by card.
Old 30 June 2007, 12:36 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I don't ever carry cash .... ever. You never have just the right amount.

p.s. - The local is heaving on Monday lunchtime..... with people who Switch. You ever see a farmer with fingers like a babys arm trying to type in the pin..... LMAO
Old 30 June 2007, 08:48 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

the G/F always pays with card, for pretty much everything.

i never ever pay for anything with a card except over the internet, mainly because i get paid with cash every day, so always have a decent chunk of it in the wallet

they way people seam to have cash taken from accounts when paying for petrol and such, is a bit worrying IMO
Old 30 June 2007, 08:49 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Fair point. For you (presuming the local isn't heaving on a Friday night), it does make sense to pay by card. You are hereby back on my Christmas card list.

However, the town my local is in has 2 free cashpoints within a few hundred yards of the pub, and also has a cashpoint inside the pub (with a £1.50 charge for using it). It is also frequented by fairly well off people who seem to be the most likely to pay by card.

people actually pay £1.50 in the pub, to get cash out, just to pay the bar for drinks??

what sort of idiot would do that PMSL
Old 30 June 2007, 08:51 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

why would people bother drawing cash when a debit card works fine ?
Old 30 June 2007, 08:51 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

what sort of idiot would do that PMSL
People who can afford to...
Old 30 June 2007, 09:02 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
People who can afford to...

That is just MADNESS, i bet the people who "can afford to" are just gimps thinking it makes them look a bit more posh. When in reality, they are in a local scratty pub and not some wine tasting castle

its got to be faster to pay at the bar with a card,
1. i mean, go to the wall, get cash with card, then go to the bar for drink.

2. go to the bar for a drink and pay with card.

wtf??
Old 30 June 2007, 09:04 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

infact i bet some "really posh folk"

go to the machine in the pub every single round for a £20 and then go to the bar, just because it makes them look a bit more wealthy

PMSL
Old 30 June 2007, 09:06 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
why would people bother drawing cash when a debit card works fine ?
Because it is faster.

I was in the pub one Friday lunchtime and around 10 blokes came in as group. Every one of them ordered a pint and some food, and every one of them paid by card. By the time the last one was paying, the first blokes food had arrived. They then discovered they had nowhere to sit because by this time all the seats had been taken. Served the ******* right.

Would you pay by debit card for a packet of chewing gum or use one in a fast food shop (insert other low value items or shops to suit)?
Old 30 June 2007, 09:10 AM
Andy T
Scooby Regular

Location: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP

At local drinking/meeting point always pay by card, normally get a round in for the lads and GF and then get cashback. Have a chat with barmaid whilst entering pin etc, job done. No need to buy many more drinks tonight as I got the 1st ones in and then cash back can be used for grub later.

Read statement from bank - how much time/money do i spend in either petrol stations or pub hmmmmm must cut back
Old 30 June 2007, 09:13 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

B
Would you pay by debit card for a packet of chewing gum or use one in a fast food shop (insert other low value items or shops to suit)?
i have seen the G/F do this

She hates carrying cash. actually this might be a scam because she is always asking for a few pound coins for the train or bus to work

i should have added, that i have seen an increasing amount of people wanting to pay for a £2.20 carwash at work with a card, and a few times with a cheque

we dont have a card machine i did look into it but the costs were to high IMO so i never botherd, what we find now is we are constantly battling for small loose change, it seams like every few months the tills "float" is being increased by £10 as everybody is bringing us £10/£20 notes and we run out of change.

bring back loose change

Last edited by StickyMicky; 30 June 2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 30 June 2007, 09:16 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
That is just MADNESS, i bet the people who "can afford to" are just gimps thinking it makes them look a bit more posh. When in reality, they are in a local scratty pub and not some wine tasting castle

its got to be faster to pay at the bar with a card,
1. i mean, go to the wall, get cash with card, then go to the bar for drink.

2. go to the bar for a drink and pay with card.

wtf??
Er, I take it you don't actually go into busy pubs and try to pay by card. It is much much slower, I assure you.

Surely people go via a cashpoint at some point in their travels during the week. Do people not carry cash with them anymore. How would you pay for a pay and display car park? I've never seen one locally that takes cards.

Also, the £1.50 charge is paying for the convenience. In the same way that cigarette machines are much more expensive than buying ciggies in a shop.

Lastly, I spent enough last night to make £1.50 look trivial. The cash machine is situated such that not many people would see you using it anyway. Even if you were the kind of moron to use one to "show off", you'd be wasting your time in my local. We often get people pull up to the pub in Ferraris and Aston Martins (that is showing off!), so no-one would be impressed by the "I'm so rich I can afford the cashpoint charge" routine.
Old 30 June 2007, 09:18 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Er, I take it you don't actually go into busy pubs and try to pay by card. It is much much slower, I assure you.
just how much slower is it then going to a cash machine inside a pub, paying £1.50 to get the cash out, and then going to the bar to get a drink

you are saying that walking up to the bar and paying with the very same card is slower then "stopping off" at the cash machine inside the pub ?/

is the card machine at the bar running on 56k dialup or something ?
Old 30 June 2007, 09:21 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Get used to it - it's the way all shops etc will be going. Look at the trials of using the Oyster card to buy items other than rail tickets.

The other thing to consider is that it is often easier to open a tab and pay for it at the end rather than keep fishing around for cash each round. My advice is to take a chill pill - in the grand scheme of things it's hardly a big deal.
Old 30 June 2007, 09:23 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

just how much slower is it then going to a cash machine inside a pub, paying £1.50 to get the cash out, and then going to the bar to get a drink

you are saying that walking up to the bar and paying with the very same card is slower then "stopping off" at the cash machine inside the pub ?/

is the card machine at the bar running on 56k dialup or something ?
Actually, the cash machine first then buying a round would be slower than paying by card, but only for that first round. You would be a moron to go to the cash machine for each round, you'd just take enough for the rest of the evening in the one visit.

However, I very rarely use a pub cash machine, I have the forethought to actually arrive at the pub with a wallet full of cash.

On the rare occasions I do use a card in a pub (probably because of a broken cashpoint), I leave the card behind the bar and pay at the end of the evening.
Old 30 June 2007, 09:26 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i think we have our wires crossed, i`m not slagging you off, i dont use cards, i just think the whole, go to a cash machine inside a pub to go to the bar is madness.

maybe its all the training i had working at nissans plant, where everything is planned so as to not waste time

the G/F thinks im mad as i store old toilet rolls inside each other so "i`m not wasting time" with loads of little trips to the bin
Old 30 June 2007, 09:28 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Get used to it - it's the way all shops etc will be going. Look at the trials of using the Oyster card to buy items other than rail tickets.

The other thing to consider is that it is often easier to open a tab and pay for it at the end rather than keep fishing around for cash each round. My advice is to take a chill pill - in the grand scheme of things it's hardly a big deal.
True. However, we are a few years off going cashless and, until then, I shall continue to use cash.

As for the chill pill, when I started this thread, I'd just come back from the pub and missed out on last orders because the entire 10 minutes of last orders was taken up with a couple of people paying by cards. Many people were a lot more agitated than me, I can assure you.
Old 30 June 2007, 09:31 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

the G/F thinks im mad as i store old toilet rolls inside each other so "i`m not wasting time" with loads of little trips to the bin
Either you are mad, or you get through an inordinate amount of loo rolls!
Old 30 June 2007, 09:33 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Either you are mad, or you get through an inordinate amount of loo rolls!
bloody wimmins wipe for EVERYTHING

why cant they just shake the flaps about
Old 30 June 2007, 09:40 AM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

Attempting to bypass the swear word filter is both ridiculous and prohibited.

In addition, please appreciate that using @ instead of a, or 1 instead of i, does not change the meaning of the word, or the way it is read. It is not the combination of characters that represents the offense, it is the use of the word within context.

Thank You

Last edited by RichieC; 30 June 2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Deliberate swear filter avoidance
Old 30 June 2007, 09:45 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

400% more!!
Are you saying you sometimes have 50 litres of Stella then Pete? Well impressed

Quick Reply: People who go to the pub with no cash...