Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Shoes off!

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2007, 08:54 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shoes off!

During the week I frequent quite a few houses delivering beds. I always make a point of taking my shoes off as most stairs and bedroom carpets are a light colour. Delivering to one house today the lady had put down sheets all the way up the stairs, however at the top (where there were no sheets) I noticed a couple of muddy footprints. It transpired she'd had some other delivery personnel who told her they couldn't take off their shoes as it was againts their company health and safety policy. I consider it common courtesy to remove outdoor footwear when in customer's houses, after all I would certainly expect it in mine!

Last edited by Maz; 29 June 2007 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Confusing Snetters.
Old 29 June 2007, 08:58 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

So your point is ?
Old 29 June 2007, 09:03 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
So your point is ?
Would you expect shoes to be taken off in your house? Perhaps I was a little too cryptic for some.
Old 29 June 2007, 09:05 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

company policy for us to keep our shoes on

If the customer doesn't like it they can put blankets down or install their own kitchen, I don't really fancy dropping some of the stuff we make onto my toes
Old 29 June 2007, 09:11 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Your last sentence missed the word 'in' and therefore threw sti-04.
Old 29 June 2007, 09:18 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

For me, Maz, it would depend. with what you do, taking beds up stairs etc, I think that's fair enough, as I would be really peed off if I had a nice carpet and it got ruined by dirty foor prints. I wouldn't expect ANYONE to walk up some stairs on plastic sheets though What if you slipped?

For someone, like above, fitting kitchens and the like, I woulnd't expect shoes off for that and I would, if the weather was bad or there was a liklihood of dirt spreading through the house, cover my carpets and any furniture that may be affected

Maybe you'r more thoughtful than some Maz :
Old 29 June 2007, 09:23 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

When Telewest did my install the day I moved into the house, they were very good as the weather was attrocious outside, chucking it down etc etc

They were very good as they put shoe protectors on to proctect my carpet, however the stupid mother f**ing idiots left them on to go outside, and ruined my carpet

A letter or two to the MD of Telewest got me the area head boss to visit the house, and got 6 months free TV/Net/phone plus 300 quid
Old 29 June 2007, 09:23 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Would you expect shoes to be taken off in your house? Perhaps I was a little too cryptic for some.
Depends on what rooms they were going into Some of the rooms in my house you need to keep your shoes on.
Old 29 June 2007, 09:24 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by D.K.1
For me, Maz, it would depend. with what you do, taking beds up stairs etc, I think that's fair enough, as I would be really peed off if I had a nice carpet and it got ruined by dirty foor prints. I wouldn't expect ANYONE to walk up some stairs on plastic sheets though What if you slipped?

For someone, like above, fitting kitchens and the like, I woulnd't expect shoes off for that and I would, if the weather was bad or there was a liklihood of dirt spreading through the house, cover my carpets and any furniture that may be affected

Maybe you'r more thoughtful than some Maz :
The sheets were cloth to be fair. I do agree for certain jobs shoes are a necessity but for others they aren't. If someone spends lots of money on their carpets the last thing they want is muddy size tens traipsing all over the place.
Old 29 June 2007, 09:26 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Sonic'
When Telewest did my install the day I moved into the house, they were very good as the weather was attrocious outside, chucking it down etc etc

They were very good as they put shoe protectors on to proctect my carpet, however the stupid mother f**ing idiots left them on to go outside, and ruined my carpet

A letter or two to the MD of Telewest got me the area head boss to visit the house, and got 6 months free TV/Net/phone plus 300 quid

You see Steve this is what can happen. A moment of madness not only causes expensive damage but loses you a customer in an instance.
Old 29 June 2007, 09:31 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean, ours would cost an absolute fortune to replace of they got ruined given the size of the rooms etc and would have to be good quality hard wearing carpet too because of the traffic, so I certainly wouldn't be impressed!!!

That woman must be quite peed off about her ruined carpet!

ok, it may have been against company policy to remove their footwera, but would it also have been agains company policy to wipe their shoes on the mat properly before they entered and making sure their shoes were as clean as possible before trudging through?
Old 29 June 2007, 09:38 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Would you expect shoes to be taken off in your house?
No, and I hate those people who insist that you take your shoes off when you're a guest in their house.
Old 29 June 2007, 09:42 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by carl
No, and I hate those people who insist that you take your shoes off when you're a guest in their house.

That's showing a great lack of respect for your hosts. Do you have exceptionally smelly feet perchance?
Old 29 June 2007, 09:42 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my carpet is the same colour as my dog so i dont let then in my house
Old 29 June 2007, 09:48 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
my carpet is the same colour as my dog so i dont let then in my house
the carpet or your dog
Old 29 June 2007, 10:08 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

delivery men
Old 29 June 2007, 10:10 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl
I have to say, if a friend of mine refused to take shoes off in my house when I had a new carpet fitted and none of the family wear shoes in the house, I would tell said friend to F*ck off and not come back until they learned to have some respect for other people's property!
Old 29 June 2007, 10:12 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

delivery men
So who delivers your stuff then?
Old 29 June 2007, 10:14 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

My colour is the same dog as my carpet.
Old 29 June 2007, 10:36 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

what have i said that doesnt make sense?

i pick it up maz
Old 30 June 2007, 12:36 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

You don't need to say anything Sarah, opening your mouth is enough.

Andy
Old 30 June 2007, 12:43 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

what have i said that doesnt make sense?
In this thread or generally?

I think it is incredibly pretentious to ask guests to take of their shoes. You are saying that you value your floor covering more than you value your guests. If it is such a big issue, get tiles or wood (or laminate if you are going to do the no heels on the wooden floor bollox)
Old 30 June 2007, 01:26 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

This may come as a huge shock to some in this thread but carpets do serve as dual purpose accessories:

Not only do they cover floorboards and make the place warmer, whilst adding a nice finishing touch to your interior decor .....

They also serve as a nice comfy walking surface

We were pretty cautious initially with our new carpets (oatmealish running through most of house)

Hence why there's a frickin doormat ..... and if the carpet should get a bit dirty when friends come round, we get it cleaned with another clever accessory called a carpet cleaner

Amazing

Tradesmen however...... are always asked to walk on their hands, and then only after they've washed them properly......
Old 30 June 2007, 01:45 AM
stara
Scooby Regular

i would never ask guests to remove shoes, it is just rude. Would you take off your shoes in an hotel, or a restaraunt with carpets, no of course not. I think friendship is more important than carpets. If tradesmen are calling, then i will put down dust sheets, i am a tradesman, and will not remove my boots when working in a customers house, if they ask, then i politely suggest they put down dust sheets as our h&s prevents us from not wearing steel toe capped footwear. I cannot understand why people make appointments for a tradesman to call, yet are so unprepared, if you want work done in your oatmeal coloured carpeted bedroom with no risk of marking on your carpet, then fkin protect it with covering before the tradesman calls.
Old 30 June 2007, 07:47 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by fast bloke
In this thread or generally?

I think it is incredibly pretentious to ask guests to take of their shoes. You are saying that you value your floor covering more than you value your guests. If it is such a big issue, get tiles or wood (or laminate if you are going to do the no heels on the wooden floor bollox)
I can't see where you get the parallel of comparing the value of a carpet to the value of a guest Although suffice to say some 'guests' are a lot less valued than my carpets, especially those that don't like taking their shoes off.
Old 30 June 2007, 07:51 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stara
i would never ask guests to remove shoes, it is just rude. Would you take off your shoes in an hotel, or a restaraunt with carpets, no of course not. I think friendship is more important than carpets.
Whilst I agree tradesmen cannot take their shoes off due to the nature of their work, there is nothing rude about asking guests to remove their shoes. It would take a shallow individual to fall out with a friend for being asked to take off his/her shoes.
Old 30 June 2007, 08:10 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I treat my body like a temple, that's why the shoes are always on the outside
Old 30 June 2007, 08:15 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Morning Chris.
Old 30 June 2007, 08:59 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't expect any guest or tradesman to take their shoes off. Even mud can be removed without much effort. So, unless I had a pool of engine oil outside my front door, I doubt it would even occur to me to cover the floors prior to a tradesmans arrival.

When I lived in Canada, people always took their shoes off when entering someones house. I think this habit developed because during the winter, your shoes would be covered in loads of snow and people just keep taking their shoes off all year round.

My Czech sister-in-law is rather keen on people taking their shoes off. She even has a variety of slippers by the front door for guests to wear once they've taken their shoes off. It's probably no coincidence that the Czech Republic also has very harsh winters.
Old 30 June 2007, 09:03 AM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Depends on what rooms they were going into Some of the rooms in my house you need to keep your shoes on.
Punishment room / dungeon ?

Quick Reply: Shoes off!