Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Use of Blues and Twos.

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2007, 09:33 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use of Blues and Twos.

Lately I have noticed an increasing use of blues and twos by the police and paramedics to get through red lights and road works. Now I think it is vitally important that people get out of the way of emergency vehicles when they are attending an EMERGENCY. However is it not a little naughty for the blues and twos to be used in non emergency situations?
Old 28 June 2007, 09:56 PM
The Bubbanator
Scooby Regular

Isn't "Responding to a cup of tea" an emergency?
Old 28 June 2007, 09:58 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Or even dashing out in an emergency to pick up their takeaway ,before it gets cold !!!!!!
Old 28 June 2007, 10:06 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by njkmrs
Or even dashing out in an emergency to pick up their takeaway ,before it gets cold !!!!!!
This is what p!sses off the general public if indeed this is happening. It is blatant misuse of an emergency vehicle and should be punished accordingly.
Old 28 June 2007, 10:26 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

You can get suspended from driving if you're found to be abusing the exemptions of the RTA given to you.

It rarely happens IMO.

Unless it's an emergency why would any driver want to risk their life by driving fast through traffic? We're at work and getting paid to be stuck in traffic - doesn't bother me!
Old 28 June 2007, 10:30 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
This is what p!sses off the general public if indeed this is happening. It is blatant misuse of an emergency vehicle and should be punished accordingly.
it does happened. Brothers friend had accident hitting curb. GF was with him and they called police as the car was just beyond a blind corner in very slippery conditions. Police arrived and offered to take his GF home. They obliged and on the way there the police turned on the sirens so they could get through traffic quicker.

So there you have the truth!
Old 28 June 2007, 10:39 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

They were probably sent a call whilst taking her home, allowing them to go on blues.

A person sat in the back of car without a trained radio ear won't know what's going on.
Old 28 June 2007, 10:42 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by AudiLover
it does happened. Brothers friend had accident hitting curb. GF was with him and they called police as the car was just beyond a blind corner in very slippery conditions. Police arrived and offered to take his GF home. They obliged and on the way there the police turned on the sirens so they could get through traffic quicker.

So there you have the truth!
Did she drop a fart though?
Old 28 June 2007, 10:47 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Think it depends where you live. We don't get to much of this here in the sticks.
Yve
Old 28 June 2007, 10:55 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I work in central London where traffic is 24/7 and it's rather busy!

Very dangerous to go fast, so I only do it when I have to.

All the crap about late for your kebab etc is just that - crap.

The cars are fitted with black boxes that show exactly what speed you're doing at any given time along with if your blues are on, what gear you're in, how hard you swerve/brake etc. Link that to the computer onboard that tells you what call you're going to or what car you have just done a check on and you can't really get away with too much...........

It's simple to get to use your blues legally anyway - just tack yourself onto an emergency call.
Old 28 June 2007, 11:00 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
I work in central London where traffic is 24/7 and it's rather busy!

Very dangerous to go fast, so I only do it when I have to.

All the crap about late for your kebab etc is just that - crap.

The cars are fitted with black boxes that show exactly what speed you're doing at any given time along with if your blues are on, what gear you're in, how hard you swerve/brake etc. Link that to the computer onboard that tells you what call you're going to or what car you have just done a check on and you can't really get away with too much...........

It's simple to get to use your blues legally anyway - just tack yourself onto an emergency call.
That will only be referred to if there is an accident/complaint much like a black box on a plane?
Old 28 June 2007, 11:04 PM
Pigfrog
Scooby Regular

I'm not even sure what made you think that they were using their blues and twos just to get through the hold up in the first place. Is it not posiible that they are actually responding to an emergency when going through red lights and road works etc.
Old 28 June 2007, 11:08 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Yes, usually.

Althought it is open to scrutiny at any time. And there are lots of accidents/scrapes, meaning they are checked a fair bit.

When it comes down to it, why would you risk going fast through traffic other than when it's required? Most drivers on the roads panic and are completely unpredictable when you approach as they crap themselves thinking they are getting pulled over. Plus, the novelty of going through red lights etc soon wears off.

After a 10 minute fast run in traffic you usually have a headache and need 30 mins to chill back down, such is the concentration required to cut through traffic safely.
Old 28 June 2007, 11:10 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

In a Police Car all the information is recorded in a black box type device.

If you're blue lighting when you shouldn't and something goes wrong you're going to be in deep ****, not worth the risk!!
Old 28 June 2007, 11:37 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

After a 10 minute fast run in traffic you usually have a headache and need 30 mins to chill back down, such is the concentration required to cut through traffic safely.
Sounds like you need a scoobie

(sorry, could not resist, please allow me this one minor derailment of a serious thread)
Old 28 June 2007, 11:45 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Sounds like you need a scoobie

(sorry, could not resist, please allow me this one minor derailment of a serious thread)
Wouldn't mind one, but they're too easy to drive and would take much of the fun away............ Plus, they wouldn't take the abuse and generally blow up after a year from colleagues that have used them.

The 530D has proper RWD and needs a bit of love when going around corners in the wet and will do 80 - 100k from everyday heavy use.

So much for their economy though. 11/16mpg normally, but it does get spanked!
Old 28 June 2007, 11:56 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't mind one, but they're too easy to drive and would take much of the fun away............ Plus, they wouldn't take the abuse and generally blow up after a year from colleagues that have used them.

The 530D has proper RWD and needs a bit of love when going around corners in the wet and will do 80 - 100k from everyday heavy use.

So much for their economy though. 11/16mpg normally, but it does get spanked!
Whih force, sorry service, are you in mate?
Old 28 June 2007, 11:58 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Met
Old 29 June 2007, 12:03 AM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Met

Ah the trouble causers of the policing world

I'm in south yorkshire
Old 29 June 2007, 12:07 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Met who ?

Old 29 June 2007, 12:08 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

We're more relaxed
Old 29 June 2007, 03:13 AM
shustir
Scooby Regular

What about if you are at a red light and there is an emergency vehicle behind you, and the only way it can get past is if you drive through red. Are you allowed through to let the emergency vehicle pass ? What if there is a camera on the lights ? Any ideas.
Old 29 June 2007, 06:17 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

In theory yes, however I have heard of cases where the camera has photographed the driver going through the lights and they were reported. Totally bizarre in my opinion and I hope it got quashed at court.

In some cases, we use the blues to get through the lights, but I can honestly say that I have never done it or seen anyone do it for stuff like meal breaks. Some emergencies need a silent approach (and blue lights can also reflect of buildings etc). In these cases we try and get there as fast as we can, but motorists won’t know what we are doing so won’t move out of the way. If we can speed our progress up in anyway (like going through lights) then we do.

Other times we use them when not in an emergency is to get to an area faster – area searches and such like. Remember also that after the lights the road will be clear – so there will be no need to have the blues and twos on once through the lights.
Old 29 June 2007, 10:24 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

I would have thought you had to be pretty dumb or already harbouring some strong anti-police thoughts to assume they use there lights to jump traffic for a burger.
Old 29 June 2007, 10:29 AM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
In theory yes, however I have heard of cases where the camera has photographed the driver going through the lights and they were reported. Totally bizarre in my opinion and I hope it got quashed at court.

In some cases, we use the blues to get through the lights, but I can honestly say that I have never done it or seen anyone do it for stuff like meal breaks. Some emergencies need a silent approach (and blue lights can also reflect of buildings etc). In these cases we try and get there as fast as we can, but motorists won’t know what we are doing so won’t move out of the way. If we can speed our progress up in anyway (like going through lights) then we do.

Other times we use them when not in an emergency is to get to an area faster – area searches and such like. Remember also that after the lights the road will be clear – so there will be no need to have the blues and twos on once through the lights.
Exactly the points I was about to raise !
Old 29 June 2007, 10:37 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

I've watched Police go through massive traffic before near where I used to work, I watched them behind me through about half a mile of traffic, then they got to the clear road, drove into the BP garage (blue lights off) and were stuffing danish's and coffee into their mouths by the time I got there.

Naughty Piglets...
Old 29 June 2007, 10:44 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Ive noticed more coppers on the roads using the lights but no siren and only put the siren on when they hit lights. Is that something to do with the level of call theyre attending?
Old 29 June 2007, 10:54 AM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Ive noticed more coppers on the roads using the lights but no siren and only put the siren on when they hit lights. Is that something to do with the level of call theyre attending?

The siren sometimes makes people panic, so it's normally used only at junctions, roundabouts, traffic lights etc or if there are a lot of pedestrians
Old 29 June 2007, 11:04 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Lately I have noticed an increasing use of blues and twos by the police and paramedics to get through red lights and road works. Now I think it is vitally important that people get out of the way of emergency vehicles when they are attending an EMERGENCY. However is it not a little naughty for the blues and twos to be used in non emergency situations?
I can't think how anyone would know they were not in emergency unless you saw them stop at the doughnut shop! If it was just for their own convenience that would be very bad.

Les
Old 29 June 2007, 11:09 AM
falkster
Scooby Regular

The thing that has annoyed me for years (having lived near two hospitals) is when its either very late at night or very early in the morning and you hear/see the ambulances driving down the road with their sirens blazing!!! Theres nothing on the road so why would they need them??

Quick Reply: Use of Blues and Twos.