Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

safety camera,

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2007, 09:31 AM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question safety camera,

what type of speed camera detectors are considerd the best,thanks for any replys.
Old 24 June 2007, 10:07 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I use the GPS based one built into my tracker.
Depends what sort of protection you want. If its against hand helds etc then there are loads out there, but few are that helpful. By the time they have seen the laser, its seen you.

Road Pilot is little and rather good, and much cheaper than it was a few years back. GPS based too.
Old 24 June 2007, 10:27 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Don't get a 'detector' as they will be ruled illegal in the new road safety act, get a GPS 'locator' raod angle, download for tom tom etc etc they all work as well as each other, the key is the database, how reliable it is and how much it costs to keep up to date, be warend, some cheaper locators make their money back on the subs!

Also be warned that under new rules the scammers will be able to put cameras almost anywhere (Scumberside first - no surprise) in which case the database will have to be very up to date!

Simon
Old 24 June 2007, 10:30 AM
magicdudey
Scooby Regular

Forget the road angle in built laser detector! Vascar will nail you and there is nothing you can do about it.
I worked at a trade shwo and worked alongside the guys who invent the TSS system and Vascar (I think that is how you spell it) makes your laser detectors history.
RA is still a very very good system which I use all the time to alert me of fixed camersa etc.
Old 24 June 2007, 11:06 AM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Cyclops
Old 24 June 2007, 11:46 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Snooper S6 Neo.

It's 3 systems, 1 GPS & the other for Lasers, ( can set at over a mile away) Gatsos, Gatso Mobile Radar etc.

As the previous post says Vascar is the only 1 it doesn't do.

However, as it's in a car & Plod has to track you, stop you, ticket you etc, you have to be very unlucky.

AS you can see in the Papers, Traffic Pold numbers are down dramatically and, Cameras have taken their place.
ood Luck.

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 24 June 2007, 12:19 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Origin B2 (GPS based). Although Radar and Laser detectors can be added.

Very happy with it. I believe Origin have just released a newer version with a full colour screen.
Old 24 June 2007, 12:20 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Snooper Sapphire any good??
Old 24 June 2007, 12:23 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Why have you called it a safety camera when everyone knows thats not what there are
Old 24 June 2007, 12:38 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

In the current climate of Police v's Motorist, you are better off getting the top of the range Road angel that reports the road speed to you as well as camera locations.. I rarely ever speed but I recently clocked 3 points because a road I hadnt used for donkeys had been reduced from 60 to 50.. I drove through, saw the van, checked my speed (60mph) and thought nothing of it...

CHA-CHING!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24 June 2007, 01:55 PM
wrx b
Scooby Regular

Default vascar

whats a vascar?
Old 24 June 2007, 01:59 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

I ran various detectors for years and used to clock up 1-2 convictions per year. Since going without a few years ago and simply using my eyes and awareness of where they will likely be sited, I've done a lot better. Seriously, I just don't bother nowadays. I drive fast where the conditions *genuinely* allow (i.e. no traffic, great long distance visibility), and drive slow where they don't, only do over a ton on track or abroad. No problems so far.
Old 24 June 2007, 02:05 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Talex Lite, about £65 and covers everything you need.
Old 24 June 2007, 02:18 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> whats a vascar?

Box on the dash of police cars, vehicle and speed....average.... something. They drive over a fixed route, like between two bridges on the motorway and it records the distance. Then they sit on a third bridge and watch you drive the same route and start and stop a watch. The box works out your average speed from the distance they recorded first of all and the speed they recorded from you. Pretty low tech, been around at least 20 years.
Old 24 June 2007, 02:29 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
I drive fast where the conditions *genuinely* allow (i.e. no traffic, great long distance visibility), and drive slow where they don't, only do over a ton on track or abroad. No problems so far.
Trouble is the independant "saftey camera" partnerships that currently exist are profit making organisations so they site the cameras in places where people would consider it "safe" to speed as theres a higher turn over convictions so you cant win..
Old 26 June 2007, 12:07 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Talex Lite. Has all the potential mobile locations in the database. Especially useful in E Yorks which relies heavily on mobiles rather tha fixed ones.
Old 26 June 2007, 01:19 PM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

Have used a TR30 and now an Origin B2, both very good and gps systems. TR30 has better voice warnings, I particularly like the "Yoda" setting.
A couple of weeks ago when I passed a mobile unit at the side of the road, I had to pass the idiot in front of me, as they braked like it was illegal to do 20 in a 60 limit, and as I did so my system piped up letting me know the van was scanning my car, I had barely hit 60!
What annoyed me was that they are supposed to only scan cars they suspect are travelling at speeds in excess of the road limit. I was scanned because I was in a subaru and overtaking, neither of which to my knowledge are illegal in themselves. Must have been really dissappointing for the van operator when they seen my speed
The van was sited at the bottom of a long straight road as always!
The laser attachment certainly worked well though
Old 26 June 2007, 01:25 PM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine has the talex lite, his missus used to have a top end snooper but the talex database is apparently better.

Its a GPS unit but holds locations of possible mobile units (something the majority of snoopers still don't do).

As above costs around £65 and subscription is cheap too.

I'll be getting one!
Old 26 June 2007, 01:39 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lestippp
as they braked like it was illegal to do 20 in a 60 limit,
Better safe than sorry. Ah but that isn't safe is it