Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Think I might be about to pick up my first points in 33 years of driving

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2007, 08:37 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I might be about to pick up my first points in 33 years of driving

Last week on the M74 (Dumfries and Galloway section) I noticed a "Safety" van on an ovehead bridge. I thought I saw it in time and slowed down.

Today, when I got home I found a card through the letterbox saying that the Royal Mail tried to deliver a Special Delivery package to me.

Now, "Special Delivery" means guaranteed next day delivery with proof that delivery took place or was attempted a a particular time (and this is within 9 days of the alleged offence) . My full name is X Douglas B and this package was addressed to X B. I'm not expecting any packages as I haven't ordered anything on the Internet recently. I sometimes get unexpected packages from work but they are generally addressed to Doug B. I don't think I need to be a detective or clairvoyant to work out what is waiting for me at the sorting office.

Oh well, 33 years driving, average of 30K miles per year, first offence. Could be worse....
Old 22 June 2007, 09:27 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

NIPs aren't usually sent by Special Delivery as far as I know, my last one came in an economy plain brown envelope. You might be lucky, it could be something else.

I suppose using Special/Recorded Delivery would eat into their profit margins.
Old 22 June 2007, 10:02 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Iwan
NIPs aren't usually sent by Special Delivery as far as I know, my last one came in an economy plain brown envelope. You might be lucky, it could be something else.

I suppose using Special/Recorded Delivery would eat into their profit margins.

Dumfries and Galloway use special delivery as it guarantees that the nip is served on the registered keeper even if it ignored by the recipient.

douglasb

pop over to PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice Going unsigned in Scotland has had a great deal of success, that is, if you are up for a fight.

goto to forums and search for " a scottish view"

Andy
Old 22 June 2007, 11:02 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

ignore the card, dont pick it up
Old 22 June 2007, 11:20 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
ignore the card, dont pick it up
Notices sent recorded delivery are legllly deemed served on the day of posting. You don't have to actually receive it!
Old 22 June 2007, 11:55 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Thanks folks. I was thinking exactly what andy97 said and that Special Delivery provides the sender (who may be Dumfries and Galloway Police. Don't know until I pick up whatever is waiting at the sorting office) with proof that the Royal Mail attempted to deliver the NIP to my address on the day after they posted it - thus they can prove that the NIP was served within 14 days of the offence.

Assuming that this undelivered packet is a NIP, I don't really feel like fighting it as I know that I was exceeding the speed limit (I'm expecting a figure of about 81 in a 70). I know that the road was empty, weather was good, etc., etc., but if the charge is that I was exceeding the speed limit, then I was and I knew that I was.

As said, first points in the best part of a million miles isn't bad going.
Old 23 June 2007, 12:06 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

It's probably only one of the DVD's you ordered in a plain brown cover.
Old 23 June 2007, 12:13 AM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

I order them under a completely different name using an untraceable credit card. The Royal Mail seem to deliver them anyway.
Old 23 June 2007, 12:25 AM
mark engers
BANNED

If you have bottle then take your right to be heard in court. Plead guilty if you have a conscience. The system is designed around fear. Yes you could feasibly get more points/fine in court BUT the scameras don't get the money, and it costs them more in admin than it costs you.

There follows blah blah about if everyone exercised this right the system would collapse... but obviously it's different when you are the one with the NIP...

Well even I, with my caustic gob, have bottled two NIP's in the past.... yes yes I know....

After much reflection I have decided that on the next occurrence (statistically next year going on recent trends) I am going to court where I fully intend to make the little "starting out on my career" upstart prosecutor wet his ******* pants as I have recently come to see that losing on a legal technicality in court for such a petty offence is insignificant in comparison to taking those in 'authority' and wringing them out to dry in front of their peers.

And that is what I do.
Old 23 June 2007, 12:42 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

But he's already admitted to speeding, so would have to lie in court and then face prison for perjury.

All for the sake of avoiding 3 points and a small fine?
Old 23 June 2007, 01:25 AM
mark engers
BANNED

Who suggested he lied in court? Not I.
Old 23 June 2007, 01:28 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

He'd plead guilty by post, surely.

Unless the court sytem in the land of the sweaty sock is different.
Old 23 June 2007, 01:50 AM
mark engers
BANNED

Why would you do that when you are entitled to front your accusers in court?
Old 23 June 2007, 07:39 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

It's worth asking for the photo, even if you don't intend to fight it. A percentage of people who ask for the photo never hear anything, so worth a try.
Old 23 June 2007, 08:34 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Ironically if you collect a Special Delivery item you have to take ID and that will prove that you received it. If it was just delivered to your house one of the servants could sign for it and chuck it on the bonfire. If it was Recorded (Signed For) all that does is prove that it was posted.

Special Delivery would cost £4.30 so odd that the cops would spend that for an NIP. Must have been the kerb crawling incident...

Last edited by David Lock; 23 June 2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 23 June 2007, 10:58 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
It's worth asking for the photo, even if you don't intend to fight it. A percentage of people who ask for the photo never hear anything, so worth a try.
My MD did this, and the photo he got back was indeed him speeding, but also on his mobile phone too, so he promptly paid his fine and took his points without further question
Old 23 June 2007, 12:55 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Update - At 8.30 this morning the doorbell rang and the postman had a special delivery package for me. My initial thought was that they had decided to try another delivery instead of me needing to collect it from the sorting office. If so, this was good news as what he was holding was definitely a parcel! The bad news was that it was addressed to Mr D B so it wasn't the same item.

So, off to the sorting office I went. I handed over the card and the counter clerk went off to retrieve the packet. He came back through with a Jiffy bag, so that looked good. I could see that it was hand addressed, so that looked even better. Wahey! The postmark is Essex! It's an unexpected work-related package!

Thanks Jerome for the suggestion that asking for the photograph can cause things to get lost in the system.

Mind you, the 14 days aren't up yet, so I could still receive a NIP! Also, as I'll be back up the M74 on Monday and back down it on Tuesday, they've got another couple of chances to get me.
Old 23 June 2007, 01:56 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Bear in mind that ECHR are giving their judgement on S172 RTA O'Halloran/Francis - Right to silence on 29 th June. If you recieve a nip dont do anything until you have heard/read this judgement