Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

We still are going to have to pay car tax on classics !!

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2007, 04:55 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We still are going to have to pay car tax on classics !!

On some of our classics out there

Historiccartax - epetition reply
21 June 2007

We received a petition asking:
"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to change the tax exemption laws for historic motor cars."
Details of Petition:
"Currently cars have to have been constructed before a set date - the 1st January 1973 to be eligible for historic car tax exemption. We the undersigned would like the date to be move as it has been fixed for a number of years. A number of cars which were built in British factories are becoming few and far between and would like the Government to help preserve these cars by offering and extension on the current exemption date."
Read the Government's response

The Government is committed to using Vehicle Excise Duty as a means of bringing environmental factors into consideration when people choose to take ownership of a car. Vehicle Excise Duty also helps to support the Government's wider policy objectives by providing a valuable source of revenue from which important public services may be funded.
The Government recognises that many historic car owners would have been disappointed when the 1998 Budget decision was made to freeze the rolling 25 year exemption at 1973. However, the Government continues to judge that in the light of its environmental focus for Vehicle Excise Duty it would be inappropriate to extend the exemption at this point in time.
It should be noted that the current exemption remains in force, currently benefiting some 307,407 vehicles, many of which will be maintained in careful preservation by their owners. The exemption applies equally to all historic cars built before January 1973 irrespective of their country of manufacture.
Some other types of historic vehicle are also exempt from payment of Vehicle Excise Duty. This Government decided to make all steam powered vehicles exempt from April 2001, benefiting vehicles like preserved steam powered road rollers and traction engines. Historic lorries built before 1973 are also exempt, provided that they are not used commercially.
The Government believes that it has got the balance right in the current exemptions it offers. In considering the case for further exemptions or changes to existing ones the Government has to consider the stability of its tax measures, the consistency of its environmental signal, and the costs of delivery - these would include initial implementation costs and ongoing administrative costs.

Bugger
Old 21 June 2007, 08:03 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Hmm, so they are effectively saying cars between 1973 and 1982 are so numerous and do so many miles and are so harmful to the environment that we need to get rid of them. Currently 300K cars represents roughly 1% of the total cars on the UK roads today. Unsure how much that would increase if cars up to '82 were exempt too - but surely we're not talking about much more? Given the "environmental focus" they supposidly have, I'm sure they can find much more appropriate ways that don't impinge on peoples ability to have fun and enjoy themselves (which classic cars give many people).

Also I not that many old classics are actually just as fuel efficient as some modern cars, and often do a lot less mileage.

This really strikes me as someone simply not understanding the request and simply spouting a line that their transport department gave them.

And the comment about admin costs is laughable, simply make it so that any car registered with DVLA and older than 1973 is, on the DVLA database, marked as exempt. Most people will spot and old car and assume it was exempt anyway. But for any that are slightly suspect, simply get the Police or Highways Agency staff to run a check against the registration - it's arguably less adminitrative than making older cars have an "exempt" disc and all the admin that comes with that process!

Last edited by Miniman; 21 June 2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 22 June 2007, 08:42 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

currently benefiting some 307,407 vehicles
Had no idea there were so many pre 1973 cars about!
Old 22 June 2007, 09:45 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I have a strong interest in older cars and a few years ago took a lot of calls from people who had bought a 1973 car who had no idea that the 25 year rule had been scrapped. They would get so angry that I gave up telling them!

To me it's a real pleasure to see these older vehicles pottering around of a summer's evening.

As said above the environmental excuse is absolute and complete BOLLOX

Disgusted of Sussex

(Bring back Gerald Nabarro - remember him?)
(Bring back Alan Clark)
Old 22 June 2007, 09:57 AM
Edmondo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Just get rid of road tax and put a couple of pence on petrol/diesel. That way ALL the environmental issues are addressed - and fairly. And it cuts out loads of bureacracy. get the DVLA to get their database up to date and just have details sent to them when vehicles change hands. Oh, and it gets rid of all this SORN "forms for the sake of controlling us" nonsense as well.

Just have an insurance and MOT disk. Those are the documents that vehicles really need.

But, oh I forgot. That'd be the common sense approach ...... no way to selectively hammer people who can afford a nice new £50K 4x4 and then only do 5K miles a year in it ....

Dave

Agree with adding to fuel and getting rid of Car tax - how many dodgers are there? - about a million or so - then everyone pays.
Old 22 June 2007, 12:26 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Yes, and the government ad campaign - we know where you are - is a load of tosh as well. It only serves to get people who have registered, but fails with the considerable amount of people who never got tax in the first place.

Classic cars are great - and I too love seeing people out and about using them.
Old 22 June 2007, 12:31 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yes I agree shame it was scrapped, that said my 73 TR6 is exempt so nice and cheap and lets hope they dont get changing the rule on pre-73 cars anytime soon!