Political Correctness Rant

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2007, 10:26 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Political Correctness Rant

In the last 2 weeks:

1. My 2yr son comes home form nursery singing 'bah bah pink sheep' because it's racist to sing black sheep. WTF!

2. We've been saving up the toilet and kitchen rolls for his class to make rocket ships so my wife went in this morning with a bag of rolls we've collected over the last month or so and the nursery said they can't accept the toilet rolls because of health and safety reasons!

Honestly, is this really what my son has to face for the rest of his education
Old 20 June 2007, 10:27 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
In the last 2 weeks:

1. My 2yr son comes home form nursery singing 'bah bah pink sheep' because it's racist to sing black sheep. WTF!

2. We've been saving up the toilet and kitchen rolls for his class to make rocket ships so my wife went in this morning with a bag of rolls we've collected over the last month or so and the nursery said they can't accept the toilet rolls because of health and safety reasons!

Just tell the nursery that the toilet rolls are cut down kitchen rolls!
Old 20 June 2007, 10:30 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I can sort of understand the toilet rolls due to germs etc

But Bah Bah Black sheep is a bit ridiculous, if they think it is racist etc then they should just not teach it to the children
Old 20 June 2007, 10:32 AM
little rick
Scooby Regular

Yep - and proabably far more to come

Got shouted at by my ex for trying to teach my daughter bah bah BLACK sheep incase she sings it and gets into trouble - its one of the few I know and they've gone and changed it so tahts me stuffed

My response was: when did you last see a pink sheep - followed by: theres a field full of black ones down the road. What if they now get upset and feel neglected
Old 20 June 2007, 10:34 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Bah Bah Black Sheep has been changed for ages now. ridiculous. Same as black boards etc.
Old 20 June 2007, 10:35 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Bah Bah Black Sheep has been changed for ages now. ridiculous. Same as black boards etc.
But nobody worries about white boards
Old 20 June 2007, 10:41 AM
little rick
Scooby Regular

so what do they call a black board now? a night sky coloured chalk display unit?

My command of english isn't great at the best of times and now I'm gonna have to learn the whole thing again
Old 20 June 2007, 10:42 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by little rick
so what do they call a black board now? a night sky coloured chalk display unit?
Chalk board.

Olly, I know, you dont have to tell me, its one rule for one and another for everyone else.
Old 20 June 2007, 10:45 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Will black cars be un PC soon. Dave's Black Boards in schools. Black shoes. Pink Sheep Beer. Black biros. Black flags at motor races. Black boxes (although they're really orange anyway). etc.. Total madness.
Old 20 June 2007, 10:46 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Met Black Police Association - Working to make changes for the better - Thats ridiculous

Imagine a white version of this!
Old 20 June 2007, 10:47 AM
little rick
Scooby Regular

Chalk board.
yeah that would be the logical one - told you my english was rubbish
Old 20 June 2007, 10:49 AM
little rick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Met Black Police Association - Working to make changes for the better - Thats ridiculous

Imagine a white version of this!
They dont do one Paul

One for ethnic minorities (lets keep it pc) one for female and one for gay and lesbian

Nothing for straight white british males
Old 20 June 2007, 11:09 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

If anyone told my children to stop singing Baa Baa Black Sheep, I'd take them to a farm and show them what colours the sheep and lambs actually are.

Same for toilet rolls, if they can show a single case of someone being sick from using these then I'll be stunned.

Who the **** are these people and what is wrong with them?
Old 20 June 2007, 11:11 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I can't even see why that rhyme would offend anyway? It's just about a black sheep, and there ARE black sheep in the world, and there were before slavery etc. and we still use their wool!

And blackboards, they're black!

FFS, eff off all you nancy sodding politically correct tw@ts!

Oooo, I tell ya........

Geezer
Old 20 June 2007, 11:14 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I just think somebody somewhere is pissing themselves laughing at what they started out as a joke. How it has now been taken seriously and implemented.

The fact is by removing the use of the word black they're effectively saying it's a negative aspect which ultimately re-enforces the oppression they're supposedly trying to stop.
Old 20 June 2007, 12:04 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

i heard a rumour that hot cross buns were on the pc hit list because of the fear that people may take offence to cross on the bun.

i love this over PC Britain!
Old 20 June 2007, 12:09 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Love some of the comments in here - it's great that virtually all of us agree that pc is bollox
Old 20 June 2007, 12:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

All this incredibly stupid PC attitude and ridiculous edicts generated by it is purely an indication of the tortuous workings of the minds of those who think it all up. All sensible people, of whatever ethnic background , would not even notice if something like "Black" sheep etc was said and the idiotic actions of these buffoons serves only to risk artificially causing unnecessary friction between the rest of us who don't actually, and quite correctly, give a stuff about the imagined situation.

It is well past time that these fools were sorted and put in their place for being likely to cause strife between the peoples of the normal world!

Les
Old 20 June 2007, 12:17 PM
mr_p1ssed_off
Scooby Regular

Love some of the comments in here - it's great that virtually all of us agree that pc is bollox
Be very careful with the L word, these days if you call someone "L*ve" they take offence and call you sexist!

Old 20 June 2007, 12:23 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

bring back carry on films is all i'll say on the issue
Old 20 June 2007, 12:23 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

In the last 2 weeks:

They have the rainbow sheep version too - well you lots of those don't you!

Have you noticed (being a dad!) that the 3 blind (vision impaired?!) mice don't have their tails cut of anymore?

As my daughter is disabled, I take great exception to offensive terms in that regard, and will happily floor anyone who insults her, but has anyone ever been offended by nursery rhymes?

I heard ages ago of a job centre which tole an advertising employer that they couldn't ask for a hard working individual, as it could discriminate against those with a less industrious nature. Surely being lazy is a perfectly good reason for not giving you a job?!!
Its usually just 1 numpty who makes these decisions, rather than a policy matter, but people hear about it, and it stick.

oh, and schools don't tend to use 'chalk' boards now - they have computer touch screens attached to laptops. We tried to give a local school some old computers once, and the turned them down, as their kit was better than the new stuff we had bought.

Utter bollox.
Old 20 June 2007, 12:31 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Angry

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I can sort of understand the toilet rolls due to germs etc

But Bah Bah Black sheep is a bit ridiculous, if they think it is racist etc then they should just not teach it to the children
LOL Sonic', I dont recall ever getting bad aids from touching toilet rolls! Whats not to say that the kitchen rolls havent been licked by rats before being marinaded in e-coli?

As for the black sheep line - FFS! I could undertand if it was bah bah w0g sheep or the like, but it isnt racist to call a black sheep black! You can hardly sing bah bah ethnically challenged sheep, now can you!?!

I would be quite willing to tell me children that the teachers have the words wrong and instill the correct version right away. I would also be taking the matter up with the teacher, head and LEA as it is an absolute outrage!!

Old 20 June 2007, 12:44 PM
New_scooby_04

In the last 2 weeks:

That's just plain daft!!

Maybe you should teach him the following version to show them what would really constitute a racist nursery rhyme!:

Bah, bah pink sheep have you any wool? No sir, no sir.................it was nicked by the black sheep!
Old 20 June 2007, 12:45 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
That's just plain daft!!

Maybe you should teach him the following version to show them what would really constitute a racist nursery rhyme!:

Bah, bah pink sheep have you any wool? No sir, no sir.................it was nicked by the black sheep!
ROFLMFAO Brilliant. Expect your infractions to be along shortly
Old 20 June 2007, 12:52 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Hardly anyone uses black boards now due to the amount of chalk dust given off, not because of their name. The 'white board' is white and you use a pen on it. Don't get confused, thinking the black board has done a Jacko on us, they are two completely different things and their names reflect this.

With regards to Baa, baa, black sheep, yeah that's a load of rubbish. I thought it was ok to call people 'black' anyway, just like i'm referred to as 'white'? Apparently at the the nursery attached to work it's 'rainbow sheep'!
Old 20 June 2007, 01:29 PM
New_scooby_04

ROFLMFAO Brilliant. Expect your infractions to be along shortly
LOL Just to be perfectly clear for all the potential infractors: the above post was only made to illustrate the folly of calling a song that merely describes the color of some sheep as racist by putting it in the context of something that would be considered racist!!

I don't know if property theft is more prevalent in black sheep than white ones!
Old 20 June 2007, 01:29 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

my most recent upset was placing a job ad in the job centre for a gateman for our building site.

i was most upset when told that i couldnt ask for an english speaking person as it would discriminate against non english speakers. i can imagine any of company directors would be most upset turning up to find they have to use sign language to sign in and out at the gate etc.

i mean ffs this is england and now we cant allow english speaking people to have a job in england!.

all pc bods should come back from cloud 9 and see how things really work.
Old 20 June 2007, 01:33 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Bah Bah Pink Sheep - I was appaulled when my 2 yo daughter came home singing that, however there is also a green sheep, blue sheep etc too. The differences are the verses e.g.

Bah bah pink sheep have you any cotton?
No sir, no sir, its all gone rotten
None for the goose, none for the fox,
and none for the little boy with holes in his socks

Now when my little one came home she couldn't remember it all apart from the pink bit. But she knew the whole verse to bah bah black sheep (that they do sing as well) so started singing

Bah bah pink sheep have you any wool?

So hopefully SS23 you can sleep a teeny bit better tonight
Old 20 June 2007, 01:41 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

As a white person who isn't actually persil white but rather a mixture of a beige creamy pink colour I feel the use of the phase 'pink sheep' highly offensive. Especially as I hail from Wales. The sheep here are all covered in their own Sh*t anyway so it shoud be 'bah bah brown sheep'

I wonder if the PC brigade are interested in my feelings? I won't hold my breath.

Quick Reply: Political Correctness Rant