Doctor and soldier beat up paramedic

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2007, 08:52 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Doctor and soldier beat up paramedic

BBC NEWS | England | Coventry/Warwickshire | Two men spared jail over attack

Two men who carried out a vicious attack on a trainee paramedic have been given a community sentence because they would lose their jobs if jailed.
Stephen Mason was attacked in Nuneaton, Warwickshire in August last year. He was unconscious for 12 hours and off work for four months.

Soldier Jake Roe, 21, of Polesworth and doctor Nik Mann, 27, of Birmingham, were given 200 hours community service.

Judge Marten Coates said he would not jail them because of their jobs.

At Warwick Crown Court Roe, of Fairfields Hill, and Mann, of War Lane, a doctor at Birmingham's City Hospital, admitted grievous bodily harm and also ordered to pay £300 compensation to Mr Mason.

'Soft option'

They could have received a maximum sentence of five years in prison.

Stephen Mason after the attack

The judge said he had not chosen the "soft option", but that the reality was they would only serve a few months in prison and with overcrowding, governors had the discretion to release them earlier.

"If they receive prison sentences they will lose their jobs which serve the country and the community," he said.

"I am aware people are looking at this case but I have no choice.

"Prisons are so full at the moment - governors have the discretion to let people out before their sentences are completed."

Their defence lawyer said they both deeply regretted what they had done.

Mick Fennell of West Midlands Ambulance Service spoke of his shock that a doctor was involved in the attack.

"We are used to violence but when it is a member of the profession - you just don't expect it," he said.

Nice so if you're a doctor or soldier you can beat the s**t out of someone and be let off jail because they 'serve the community' so what did the trainee paramedic do then.
Old 20 June 2007, 08:55 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
BBC NEWS | England | Coventry/Warwickshire | Two men spared jail over attack

Two men who carried out a vicious attack on a trainee paramedic have been given a community sentence because they would lose their jobs if jailed.
Stephen Mason was attacked in Nuneaton, Warwickshire in August last year. He was unconscious for 12 hours and off work for four months.

Soldier Jake Roe, 21, of Polesworth and doctor Nik Mann, 27, of Birmingham, were given 200 hours community service.

Judge Marten Coates said he would not jail them because of their jobs.

At Warwick Crown Court Roe, of Fairfields Hill, and Mann, of War Lane, a doctor at Birmingham's City Hospital, admitted grievous bodily harm and also ordered to pay £300 compensation to Mr Mason.

'Soft option'

They could have received a maximum sentence of five years in prison.

Stephen Mason after the attack

The judge said he had not chosen the "soft option", but that the reality was they would only serve a few months in prison and with overcrowding, governors had the discretion to release them earlier.

"If they receive prison sentences they will lose their jobs which serve the country and the community," he said.

"I am aware people are looking at this case but I have no choice.

"Prisons are so full at the moment - governors have the discretion to let people out before their sentences are completed."

Their defence lawyer said they both deeply regretted what they had done.

Mick Fennell of West Midlands Ambulance Service spoke of his shock that a doctor was involved in the attack.

"We are used to violence but when it is a member of the profession - you just don't expect it," he said.

Nice so if you're a doctor or soldier you can beat the s**t out of someone and be let off jail because they 'serve the community' so what did the trainee paramedic do then.
sadly the judge is right though.
I wouldn't think the GMC or whoever it is who licenses docs will be too thrilled about an assult charge. Hopefully he'll loose his job anyway
Old 20 June 2007, 08:57 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'd like to know why they attacked him??

A Doctor is intelligent ....

A Soldier is a paid thug ....

We need the full story really - but, on the surface, they appear to be violent and therefore should be sent down
Old 20 June 2007, 09:22 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

You would think so, wouldn't you?

Although the situation with the two doctors that failed to take reasonable (well, practically any) precautions to prevent their daughter's abduction recently would seem to suggest otherwise.

Its probably fair to say that not all doctors are that "clever", and not all soldiers are paid thugs
Old 20 June 2007, 09:23 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Yet do over 100mph on a empty motorway and you face a month in jail and your license revoked. As well as a fine of more than £300.

Will the judge care you will lose your job? No.

Speeding is worse than 2 men beating the living **** out of an innocent man.

You got to love this country ..................

otherwise you'd seriously think about leaving this **** hole.
Old 20 June 2007, 09:32 AM
richiewong
Twatful

You'd hope so but some of the people I've worked with JESUS!!!

Big difference between intelligence and common sense.
Old 20 June 2007, 09:44 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Man, you have got to love the £300 compensation

Knocked unconscious, 4 months off work, and £300 in your pocket. You would be so pleased to receive that!!

Country stinks, it really does.
Old 20 June 2007, 10:48 AM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

A Soldier is a paid thug .... Please.
HM Forces are a cross section of society, there are thugs in the police service, fire service, Dr's office. A cross section of society.
As to why, who knows, was alcohol involved?? As we know for some people its all it takes.
Soft option yes, but the judge found there was very little elso he could do. Which in the current climate is quite true.
The Dr's future empoyment, would like to think that this will give his current employers something to thik about.
The soldiers, he will be dealth with by his unit, as he has failed the inservice test, which for those who know it is very easy to fail and will be disciplined for it. As to what he gets, thats for his CO to decide in relation to the test.
Old 20 June 2007, 11:07 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paddi70
Soft option yes, but the judge found there was very little elso he could do.
Yes he could.

He could have sent them to jail.

What he is saying is that it's fine to kick the **** out of someone, as all you'll get is a pathetic fine and a few hours a week collecting rubbish.

Not much of a deterrent, is it?

Saying he had no option, I think is a dig at the Government Rather than doing what's right.
What happens this weekend if the 2 mates go out celebrating there easy punishment and decide to kick the **** out of you?

Judges are quite happy to ruin someones life for speeding, why should violence be seen as a less offense?

Last edited by stilover; 20 June 2007 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 20 June 2007, 11:11 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I would be deeply disappointed if this doctor wasn't struck-off.

And he is a fat ******, what kind of example is that showing to his patients.
Old 20 June 2007, 11:15 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
I would be deeply disappointed if this doctor wasn't struck-off.

And he is a fat ******, what kind of example is that showing to his patients.
Just been to hospital a lot over the last few weeks and it's amazing how many fat people work there.
Old 20 June 2007, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

A Soldier is a paid thug ....

We need the full story really - but, on the surface, they appear to be violent and therefore should be sent down
Are you saying I was a paid thug to go and drop one of the WMD that you designed?

Certainly need the proper story as you said, it all seems very strange to me!

Les
Old 20 June 2007, 12:19 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Sent them to jail, yes, but as he states to what end. To be out before they even get into jail. I know the system is not his fault and maybe he shouldn't even be considering this as he should only be their to give the punishment to suit the crime, which, I agree, has not been done here.
I know from the military system that the soldier, who's rank has not been published?? Anyone know? Will have disciplinary action taken against him. If it isn't would like to know why.
Old 20 June 2007, 12:38 PM
New_scooby_04

Maybe we don't have all the facts here, but from the way it's being presented so far, I would have the following to say:

Pretty sad when you have what should be peers of a community resorting to this kind of behaviour. I expect this from chavs at kicking out time, but not from people who should be all too aware of the dire implications of violence.

Ganging up on someone is also cowardly; if you've got an issue with someone, at least have the ***** to sort it our yourself.

I think the law needs to be stiffened up with regards to affray, GBH and ABH. For too many people these days, getting into a fight is an integral -or at least acceptable- part of a night out! This kind of sentencing will do nothing to deter such thinking!
Old 20 June 2007, 12:49 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Maybe we don't have all the facts here, but from the way it's being presented so far, I would have the following to say:

Pretty sad when you have what should be peers of a community resorting to this kind of behaviour. I expect this from chavs at kicking out time, but not from people who should be all too aware of the dire implications of violence.

Ganging up on someone is also cowardly; if you've got an issue with someone, at least have the ***** to sort it our yourself.

I think the law needs to be stiffened up with regards to affray, GBH and ABH. For too many people these days, getting into a fight is an integral -or at least acceptable- part of a night out! This kind of sentencing will do nothing to deter such thinking!
You are correct, but we live in such a PC time, with some very strange ideas of what is right and how to deal with offenders. Young offenders going off to holiday camps costing thousands, children no longer singing "bhaa bhaa black sheep" but "bhaa bhaa pink sheep" WTF???
Prison system well and truely fcked, what % are immigrants that we will not send back to their home country??
The list can go on, but I just get dishartened.
Old 20 June 2007, 03:49 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Funny, I was one of those paid thugs for 5 years and don't recall ever getting into trouble or feeling the need to beat the sh1te out of anyone.

I never saw myself as a thug but you learn something new everday.
Old 20 June 2007, 05:52 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

A strange story with lots of information left out.

What were the circumstances of the beating? Why were an unlikely pairing of doctor and soldier beating someone up together? Was the paramedic on duty? If not, his profession is irrelevant.

As mentioned, interesting that the rank of the soldier was omitted.

The soldier, at least, could still be jailed by the Army. I'm sure his CO (as mentioned) will have some form of punishment lined up for him. I hope the doctor faces a disciplinary as well.

The sentence seems unduly lenient, but having only some of the pertinent facts, it is difficult to tell just how lenient.