Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Legal Advice

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2007, 05:55 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal Advice

I suspect someone else would have been in the same position as I am at the moment so I thought I would pick the collective scoobynet brain

A ****** decided to kick my door, and mirror, in on the way home from a party a few doors down from me

I have reported it to the police and hopefully a witness has made a statement so it can go to court, assuming the CPS bother of course.

Now I have just had the repair estimated and it's going to be around £750+VAT for the door, needs a new skin, and about £150 for the wingmirror.

Will the criminal prosecution for criminal damage, or whatever it's called these days, actually get me any money or do I need to take him to the Small Claims Court also?

Cheers.
Old 19 June 2007, 06:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Sometimes courts order restitution if the criminal is convicted, but I've not heard of that level, £900. It's usually a token.

Small claims court would be better if he's found guilty, but don't hold your breath. In my experience, there'll be SOME reason they can't prosecute And even if you win in SCC, he'll proabably be allowed to pay at £2 a week.

Only speeding motorists are chased and prosecuted to the very ends of the law in Blair's Britain.

Alcazar
Old 19 June 2007, 06:00 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frosty The Snowman
I suspect someone else would have been in the same position as I am at the moment so I thought I would pick the collective scoobynet brain

A ****** decided to kick my door, and mirror, in on the way home from a party a few doors down from me

I have reported it to the police and hopefully a witness has made a statement so it can go to court, assuming the CPS bother of course.

Now I have just had the repair estimated and it's going to be around £750+VAT for the door, needs a new skin, and about £150 for the wingmirror.

Will the criminal prosecution for criminal damage, or whatever it's called these days, actually get me any money or do I need to take him to the Small Claims Court also?

Cheers.

lets hope they do, and then if/when they have, you need to take him out back and take £900 out of the little *****'s head.

I hate seeing stuff like this, totally out of order, I could never see the point in doing **** like that.
Old 19 June 2007, 06:10 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Sometimes courts order restitution if the criminal is convicted, but I've not heard of that level, £900. It's usually a token.

Small claims court would be better if he's found guilty, but don't hold your breath. In my experience, there'll be SOME reason they can't prosecute And even if you win in SCC, he'll proabably be allowed to pay at £2 a week.

Only speeding motorists are chased and prosecuted to the very ends of the law in Blair's Britain.

Alcazar
Well I will wait and see what the result of the police case is first and then go from there, although it looks like it will be SCC either way.

If he does cough to it under caution or get convicted in court I will most certainly pursue him for the whole amount, even if it is £5 a week.

I'm sick to death of this sort of thing, the copper isn't even going to come out to see the damage, oh and he took a statement over the phone as he couldn't see me weekends or nights... Is he the only copper on duty in Bedfordshire????

I've seen plenty of traffic cops who just sit in their vans by the side of the road, surely they should have the time to take a statement...

Thanks.
Old 19 June 2007, 06:19 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

I've seen plenty of traffic cops who just sit in their vans by the side of the road, surely they should have the time to take a statement...

Thanks.
they're too busy eating donuts and getting paid for it
Old 19 June 2007, 07:31 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Is he a youngster and do you know where he lives? May be you could go round with a big mate as insurance and ask him to pay up. He may live at home and his parents might help as it would certainly go in his favour if it goes to court.
Old 19 June 2007, 07:59 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Is he a youngster and do you know where he lives? May be you could go round with a big mate as insurance and ask him to pay up. He may live at home and his parents might help as it would certainly go in his favour if it goes to court.
I'm generally regarded as the 'big mate' lol

Don't know the guy personally just got his details and looked him up on the net. From what he looks like, picture care of bebo.com, he certainly dresses uberchav and has just finished 6th form I think.

I will let the police do their thing but as soon as that's done, however it turns out, I will go round to present the bill to him, I don't have high expectations. These days I have very low expectations of parenting I'm afraid, may be unfounded but I'll let you know how it goes, or doesn't
Old 20 June 2007, 06:26 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Default Update

Well he was arrested today at 10AM and he admitted it.

The police cautioned him and decided not to prosecute as he was unemployed and would be unlikely to be able to pay any compensation. He can still afford to smoke and pay for a mobile phone of course, no doubt the taxpayer is paying for that then.

What about actually getting punished for doing something criminal eh?????

This would be the perfect case for community service order, he doesn't need to go to jail as he's just a stupid kid who is an angry drunk. 200 hours community service would certainly stick in his mind more than a 'Well don't do it again sonny, oh you can go after you've filled in this customer statisfaction survey'

So now I have to apply to the police for his details, and presumably his statement and caution, so I can take him to small claims court, which of course will cost me money, £80 to be precise.

Wonderful system we have eh
Old 20 June 2007, 07:54 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

The police cautioned him and decided not to prosecute as he was unemployed and would be unlikely to be able to pay any compensation. He can still afford to smoke and pay for a mobile phone of course, no doubt the taxpayer is paying for that then.

This would be the perfect case for community service order, he doesn't need to go to jail as he's just a stupid kid who is an angry drunk. 200 hours community service would certainly stick in his mind more than a 'Well don't do it again sonny, oh you can go after you've filled in this customer statisfaction survey'

So now I have to apply to the police for his details, and presumably his statement and caution, so I can take him to small claims court, which of course will cost me money, £80 to be precise.

you and a friend could always "persuade him" to part with some money
Old 20 June 2007, 08:13 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Do you have protected no claims ?

Make a claim, get it repaired, then pass on all his details to your insurance comapny or the legal side of it and let them take him to the small claims court.
Old 20 June 2007, 08:47 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Awful story, the worst part is that this young t*** will take home the message that he has nothing to fear from the law and his behaviour will escalate from there.
The only time I used a small claims court I ended up with the judgement but never got a penny!
Old 21 June 2007, 06:24 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza01
Do you have protected no claims ?

Make a claim, get it repaired, then pass on all his details to your insurance comapny or the legal side of it and let them take him to the small claims court.
Unfortunately not, until recently I had been on company insurance and had just managed to build up 1 years NCB, although I had been getting a nice discount from the insurance compnay for my claim free years.

If I claim it will cost me in the long run, and I would like to take him to court so he can at least feel some effect for what he has done. I will give the insurance company a call to find out what they will do in this case.
Old 22 June 2007, 11:48 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As I said: only speeding offences are prosecuted as far as the law allows in Blair's Britain.

Alcazar
Old 22 June 2007, 12:05 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Post his bebo details!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mile stone post!!!

Last edited by mrtheedge2u2; 22 June 2007 at 12:05 PM. Reason: because I wanted to
Old 22 June 2007, 01:17 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Saw similar - the ****** kicked in the side of a VW Polo and then several shop wndows and terrorised several bysteanders, i saw this unfold driving down the main hightreet.

Cops responded some 20 mins later, and after reppeated calls from me saying he is in the traffic causing mayhem and threatening people - the cop shop is 1/4 mile away!

He was arrested, i gave a statement.

I did not go to court, he was not procecuted CPS declined to do so. I found out from the cop whoo knicked the ****** , he was unemployed, just spent his dole money on drink and drugs, got hammered because his last g/f as pregnant with his child and his new g/f had found out and ditched him - that was his excuse. The Police where p*ssed off to ay the least.

Makes you mad to see this go one.

"Tough on crime, Tough on the causes of crime" - Only if you are speding in a car that is...

Last edited by The Zohan; 22 June 2007 at 01:20 PM.