Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recommended stuff to clean cycle chain/gears?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2007, 01:46 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended stuff to clean cycle chain/gears?

I've had my new bike for 6 months now and the chain and gears could do with a good clean. I used a teflon spray on them every ride as per the shop I bought it from, but it's looking very dirty and gunged up so is in need of a good clean.

Can anyone recommend a decent product to use? Is it worth getting one of those chain cleaner things?

Cheers
Old 19 June 2007, 01:59 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Dry lube is better for your chain - it sort of "drips" on and looks a it like j**z.

I use and old washing up brush to clean both bits but tend to slice my hands to pieces!
Old 19 June 2007, 03:09 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a chain-cleaner (cheap ones from Halfords work perfectly ok) and buy some Muc off or similar de-greaser

Muc-Off Bike Cleaner 1 Litre Bottle With Trigger Kit for £6.49 | Muc-Off Cleaner - Bike | Cycle | Wiggle

Spray over your gears and fill the chain cleaner with the de-greaser. Spin your chain for around a minute or so, then make sure you rinse it well off with clean water. Also make sure you rinse out your chain cleaner.

Dry the chain with an old rag and apply a little dry lube that Matteeboy suggested or similar (I use a motorbike chain lube for riding throughout the winter on salted roads etc)

Lightly oil the spring and relevant cables on your gears with the same lube and you'll be fine.....

Ideally that should be done after every ride in bad conditions
Old 19 June 2007, 03:13 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I got one of these, it's fantastic!

eBay.co.uk: Barbieri Bike Chain Cleaner With Lube & Degreaser NEW! (item 170122017703 end time 24-Jun-07 12:08:27 BST)
Old 19 June 2007, 03:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You can clean it all using "Wickes Paintbrush cleaner", a powerful degreaser, which then washes off with hot water.

When I do mine, I go about it as follows:

You need: old paintbrush, about 1" or less. Old coffee jar for PBCleaner. Old washing up bowl.

Release chain off front chainrings, let it hang into bowl, and work PBC well into each link.

With bowl in place under chainrings, repeat for each ring and front mech.

With bowl in place under rear mech and cassette, repeat for each.

Now get a watering can full of the hottest water you can. Pour it through/over each part, spin cassette to allow water to clean out the crap inside it. It should spin with a metallic clicking sound. Allow to dry, the hotter the water the less time it takes.

Relube bearings with a decent oil/spray grease, chain with drylube in summer and a good wet lube in winter.

Don't forget to get lube into the cassette bearings, and the rear mech jockey wheel bearings.

I usually do this near a drain as the crap that comes off has to be seen to be believed. DON'T do it over a clean concrete path, the oil will stain it. DON'T use a power washer, it wrecks sealed bearings.

Of course, if you REALLY want to go the whole hog, buy a chain splitter and a couple of joining links, a cassette removal tool and a chain whip, and take the whole thing to bits. Somehow it's VERY satisfying

Alcazar
Old 19 June 2007, 03:18 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Alcazar - How long does THAT take you?!!!
I just get a new chain every year!

In fact bike currently in for a new cassette, chain and XT rear mech.
10 miles a day really does wear the bike our quickly!
Old 19 June 2007, 03:25 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

You can clean it all using "Wickes Paintbrush cleaner", a powerful degreaser, which then washes off with hot water.

You need: old paintbrush, about 1" or less. Old coffee jar for PBCleaner. Old washing up bowl.

Release chain off front chainrings, let it hang into bowl, and work PBC well into each link.

Now get a watering can full of the hottest water you can. Pour it through/over each part, spin cassette to allow water to clean out the crap inside it. It should spin with a metallic clicking sound. Allow to dry, the hotter the water the less time it takes.

Relube bearings with a decent oil/spray grease, chain with drylube in summer and a good wet lube in winter.

Don't forget to get lube into the cassette bearings, and the rear mech jockey wheel bearings.

I usually do this near a drain as the crap that comes off has to be seen to be believed. DON'T do it over a clean concrete path, the oil will stain it. DON'T use a power washer, it wrecks sealed bearings.

Of course, if you REALLY want to go the whole hog, buy a chain splitter and a couple of joining links, a cassette removal tool and a chain whip, and take the whole thing to bits. Somehow it's VERY satisfying
**** that

That's verging on OCD

Just get yourself a chaincleaner, some degreaser and you're done in 5mins max
Old 19 June 2007, 03:28 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Alcazar

Mmmmm.... Chain cleaner it is then...
Old 19 June 2007, 03:29 PM
jac2000
Scooby Regular

I use old fashioned method of toothbrush with Halfords Citrus De-Greaser. Spin chain whilst holding toothbrush over and under chain - then rinse (i use hose on low pressure). Fantastic on sprockets, jockey wheels etc too.
Dry off with rag - and apply favourite spray lube to chase away the moisture - then I apply final coat of suitable lubricant.
Do this after every muddy ride and you cant go wrong.
Old 19 June 2007, 03:30 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

Parafin

then use a proper chain lube after
Old 19 June 2007, 03:30 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

There's no need for expense.
Buy an alloy wheel cleaning brush, a washing up brush and a scrubbing brush from Tesco some Muck-off and some Muck-off Bike Spray. 5 min job after each ride, wet with hose, spray with Muck-off and scrub, rinse well, bounce excess water off, dry and spray liberally with Bike Spray. I've had my bike for 6 months done 100's of miles on it and its components still look like new. (I am on my 3rd chain right enough )
Don't use anything too harsh as as it will strip the chain of all grease and will just do more harm than good

Last edited by PG; 19 June 2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 19 June 2007, 03:34 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

(I am on my 3rd chain right enough)
Scottish alloy eating grinding paste mud
Old 19 June 2007, 03:45 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Changinig the chain regularly is worth doing, cos an old chain will eat the teeth on your rings/sprockets. A new chain every year is cheaper than a new chain, rings and cassette every three years. And easier.
Old 19 June 2007, 06:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Alcazar - How long does THAT take you?!!!
I just get a new chain every year!

In fact bike currently in for a new cassette, chain and XT rear mech.
10 miles a day really does wear the bike out quickly!
Half an hour tops, and if you do it regular, your bike won't wear as quick. It's the grit in the muck and oil that causes 90% of the wear.

It's strangely satisfying to do, too, as I said.

Alcazar
Old 19 June 2007, 06:30 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I use parafin to clean my chain - works well and is cheap ! Purple Extreme oil is great, or Cross Country synthetic oil for half the price. The chain cleaner is a must, although I also use an old paintbrush for the cogs.
Old 19 June 2007, 08:14 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

I just used (cos I usually have some around) Auto Glym Machine Cleaner or Meguires APC, same stuff I use on the car engine!
Old 19 June 2007, 08:19 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Well bought a multi-pack of Muc-off and Bike Spray from Halfords for £10 plus some synthetic lube. I've already got a nylon brush from on old Alloy wheel cleaning kit. I'll give it a go tomorrow if the weather is OK. I may take some before and after pics as well

Paul3446, I like the look of that, so may purchase..