Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bang to Rights... Cops Don't Care!!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2007, 12:11 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bang to Rights... Cops Don't Care!!!

Last week the wife tried to buy me a present using her Platinum Card. However, the transaction was refused so she phoned the bank. They told her that there had been two transactions the previous week that had been unauthorised???

Now, the only place she had used the card previously was inside the bank, with the cashier! The following day the two payments had gone

She found out who the money was paid to, Pearl and Coutts, so I then 118 118 the company talk to them and tell them what as happened, "Surely not us sir, we are a multi-million opound Property Agency" of course you are but you have been done for nearly £1200. The wife in the mean time goes through the procedures to claim the money back via the Bank. They cancel her card and issue a new one.

Anyway the company who have been scammed phone the wife back and explain that the money was used to pay rents on one of their properties in London. They cannot do anything without a Crime reference number So, wife gets a crime number from the Police here in Cardiff.

She passes this on to the said agency in London, who phone the Met, the Met phone my wife back and say they cannot do nought until the Bank make contact with an official request and info...................aaaaaaaaargh.

1. She's only ever used her card in the bank.
2. The people who have been ripped off know who did it.
3. The police are doing F**k all.

I love the Great Britain we live in today
Old 19 June 2007, 12:47 PM
little rick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats harsh mate

You'd of thought as they know who has used the card they'd be straight on it

I had a load of charges a few years ago to a pre pay mobile company who they knew what mobile number it was but wouldn't do anything - just used the insurance and sent me a 'it wasn't me' form - I got the money back but thats not the point

Why do they not bother chasing these people for prosecutions and just rely on insurance to claim the £ back?
Be interesting to know if they've used anyone elses card to pay their rent

Really wierd how they got hold of the card details though if its only been used in the bank dodgy bank worker?
Old 19 June 2007, 12:52 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and if one of us didnt pay a parking fee or missed a mortgage payment it bye bye rights and hello Court ... bit **** really
Old 19 June 2007, 12:54 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

In this case, according to the law if the bank has given you the money back. the the complainant for the fraud will be the bank as they have lost the money.
Or the letting agency as the bank may claim the money back from them.
But you would not be the complainant as you have not lost the money permenantly.
I know it's not what you want to hear and it's not good but I believe that's how it works
Old 19 June 2007, 07:10 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Yep, but the cops get an easy lift but the bureacracy is getting in the way or is the Met just s**te?

We where a bit concerned too about the bank details, I wonder if the "Inside Story" gave people ideas. They did start asking if I had used wifes card......................and lose my knackers for not asking, don't think so!

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 19 June 2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 19 June 2007, 08:16 PM
stara
Scooby Regular

could it be a mis-entered digit via payment over the phone, making that persons card, your wifes card?
Old 19 June 2007, 08:32 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

This happens thousands of times a week, if not daily, and I imagine the Met would be swamped if they investigated everything.

I'm pretty sure there is now an agreement between the banks aqnd police on how these matters should be sorted out.
Old 19 June 2007, 11:47 PM
little rick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
This happens thousands of times a week, if not daily, and I imagine the Met would be swamped if they investigated everything.
Isn't that all the more reason to target the ones that are easy to trace?

I'm sure there's a large number of incidents where the paper trail is so long it would be a nightmare to investigate but it was used for a rent payment so they know where they live - this should be easy to sort with little investigation (compared to others) - If they don't target even the simplist ones then how the hell will it ever end?
Old 20 June 2007, 08:01 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised you're getting this involved TBH - the problem is the bank's, not yours. They have allowed unauthorised payments to proceed and therefore have to make good to you.

It's then their problem to chase/ track down what happened. That's the whole point of security - if they're going to allow transactions without it, it's their problem.

Why waste time talking to the police / the company who received the payments etc. You don't have to and, as a previous poster implied, you don't have the right to.

Hope this helps - i.e. hope you get your money back and no more problems

Gordo
Old 20 June 2007, 08:18 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Gordo,

I got involved because I am that sort of bloke, my background would not let me, I can't just stand back and say "Ho hum" the Police will sort it. It's like watching a crime and then turning your back and the victim suffers when you could of helped.

How many times would they have used my wifes details if she had not tried to use her card. She as a fairly healthy balance that could of gone.

Blue
Old 20 June 2007, 12:59 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have been re-imbursed from the bank, then it’s the bank who is the complainant. However, the new fraud legislation makes it not necessary to have a complainant as such. (i.e if the bank refused to re-imburse you, and you also refused to provide a statement to police – then the police can still proceed with the investigation).

The problem occurs with the bank refusing to supply police with statements, transaction times, etc. It sometimes is simply written off by the bank as they deem it not cost effective to supply the information, get it authorised by a bank official, court appearances etc etc. With no evidence available, it is difficult to proceed.

If you however knew the persons who have used your details then in theory the police could still proceed and arrest the culprits.
Old 20 June 2007, 01:01 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Or said policeman could spend all day posting nothingness on scoobynet about how the police could do something, but can't because the man who does the thingy can't do that unless the other man does this but only after........

Felix go get 'em tiger
Old 20 June 2007, 01:29 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Surely this must be a mistake. After all what idiot pays the rental on a couple of flats using a stolen card? So easy to trace that its untrue?
Old 20 June 2007, 01:33 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

DCI – I’m saying if the name of the suspect was known to us then he could be arrested. If he admits it he can be charged with a fraud offence (as we now don’t need a complainant). If he denies it, or goes ‘no-reply’ then we will need some sort of evidence from the bank/company to put to him. If they refuse to give it to us, then we are snookered
Old 20 June 2007, 01:35 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
Surely this must be a mistake. After all what idiot pays the rental on a couple of flats using a stolen card? So easy to trace that its untrue?
Maybe.....

But you need to prove 'who' did it first..... you know who benefitted from it, but not who DID it.....

The occupier needs only say "Haven't a feckin clue chief!!"
Old 20 June 2007, 04:49 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Depends how he's paid - CCTV, fingerprints. A search of his house may reveal the cloned card