Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

You're in the Forces? You mean the Army of course.

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2007, 02:18 PM
MiniShaz
Scooby Regular

Location: In the village where the 102 yr old woman still drives
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You're in the Forces? You mean the Army of course.

How many RAF Stations worked yesterday to support the flypast in London for Trooping the Colour? And it wasn't even televised. Of course, the 'Military' only consists of the Army doesn't it?
Old 17 June 2007, 02:48 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Well we work the hardest
Old 17 June 2007, 03:26 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Army & Navy I think you'll find
Old 17 June 2007, 03:35 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Navy, senior service, we all bow our heads to them.
Old 17 June 2007, 05:01 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MiniShaz
How many RAF Stations worked yesterday to support the flypast in London for Trooping the Colour? And it wasn't even televised. Of course, the 'Military' only consists of the Army doesn't it?
I am in the Army and have nothing but contempt for the RAF, to many cancelled flights/crap service and excuses in my experience.to many to mention TBH

Respect to the RAF Regt boys though, helped my multiple out when we had a two firing range incident outside BAS/APOD in Dec.

Navy i have not really worked with,although their medical personnell seem very well though oof.

Mac
Old 17 June 2007, 05:47 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

The Royal Navy. The worlds most expensive Taxi service...

..but at least they're punctual.. which is more than can be said for the RAF's bus services.. But when they buy expensive white elepha.. sorry.. I mean state of the art attack aircraft.. rather than replace slightly less glamourous, but seriously overworked Tristars.

Mind you.. your totally right.. I have to pass my congratulations to the RAF for working a Saturday.. *smirk*

(Flame suit ON!)
Old 17 June 2007, 07:16 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
I am in the Army and have nothing but contempt for the RAF, to many cancelled flights/crap service and excuses in my experience.to many to mention TBH

Respect to the RAF Regt boys though, helped my multiple out when we had a two firing range incident outside BAS/APOD in Dec.

Navy i have not really worked with,although their medical personnell seem very well though oof.

Mac
Hmm oddly enough we in the RAF having nothing but contempt for our Tristar, Vicky 10 fleet, mind you most of the aircraft should be retired and put in a museum and not flying in and out of war zones. Ive been left i various parts of the world for days on end with the GOZOME bird U/S in Brize. Anyway you got to love the RAF Reg always a pleasure to see them rip the cr*p out the Army for poor NSPs and **** poor NBC drills .
Old 17 June 2007, 08:14 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
Only as good as the equipment their given unfortunately, which considering the age of the VC10's (came into service in 1965) and the 2nd/3rd hand "cut and shut" Tristars isn't that bad.

But I take it you'd rather not wait until the techies actually get these hunks of junk in a semi serviceable state and take the risk of "ploughing in" for the sake of a few extra hours sat on your **** telling war stories and moaning about how crap the RAF is!? I mean it's risky enough flying in these crates when they're serviceable!
Old 17 June 2007, 08:19 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I had no idea VC-10's were still in service
Old 17 June 2007, 08:22 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Yep, and probably will be for at least another 10-15 years at this rate, unless they all fall out of the sky. That said I'd still rather fly in a VC10 than a RAF Tristar!
Old 17 June 2007, 09:04 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swampster
unless they all fall out of the sky.
And thats whats going to happen - killing everyone on board - at which point the government will do some mock thing, pretend they didn't know anything about it, and blame it on pilot error.

I'm glad that, at the moment, I'm in a position to blag myself on C-17 flights most of the time - simply because I'm waiting for a Tristar to fall out of the sky. (and ditto about VC10 - infinity better than gettting on a Tristar)
Old 18 June 2007, 11:36 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I spent enough time ferrying the Army and Navy around on VC-10's and they were always grateful to us for the lift and the service provided by the cabin crew. Of course you will always get some miserable git who will complain at anything just for the sake of it!

It is an outstanding aircraft and was lovely to fly with excellent handling. Wherever we landed in the world someone would always come up on the radio praising a "real aeroplane" over their computerised "bus"

It was a very strongly built machine by Vickers with more rivets to the inch to any other airliner and never needed re-skinning like the 707 which was built down to a price. (cheap!) It has proved its versatility also as a tanker and has enough fatigue life left in it for years yet.

The RAF did take part in the flypast but unfortunately it was not possible to get the Vulcan in the air. I thought the criticism of the RAF was a bit unfair even though the "Rock Apes" got a bit of a mention.

Les
Old 18 June 2007, 12:19 PM
rallying1
Scooby Regular

Want to see an old bloke before yesterdays parade? guess who couldnt march for toffee?

Old 18 June 2007, 12:47 PM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

And very smart you look too . As for marching, you can not have been as bad as Prince Andrew completely out of step with a navy crew, quality .
Old 18 June 2007, 01:40 PM
rallying1
Scooby Regular

I watched it last nite when I got in and saw HRH Andrew what a ****!!! and his hanger on next to him whoever he was, the pair of them tick tocked like a grandfather clock.
Old 18 June 2007, 03:44 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I spent enough time ferrying the Army and Navy around on VC-10's and they were always grateful to us for the lift and the service provided by the cabin crew. Of course you will always get some miserable git who will complain at anything just for the sake of it!

It is an outstanding aircraft and was lovely to fly with excellent handling. Wherever we landed in the world someone would always come up on the radio praising a "real aeroplane" over their computerised "bus"

Les
Not sure about how exactly true it was, but I was once told the VC10 still maintains the record for the fastest transatlantic crossing for an airliner barring Concorde.
Old 18 June 2007, 03:57 PM
rallying1
Scooby Regular

I didnt care what it was we flew in, anything was better than a fekin boat you can stick them things, if spewing was an Olimpic event I would have won gold every time. Leave boats to the Cabbage heads.
Old 19 June 2007, 02:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rallying1
I didnt care what it was we flew in, anything was better than a fekin boat you can stick them things, if spewing was an Olimpic event I would have won gold every time. Leave boats to the Cabbage heads.
I'd go along with that!

Yes you did look smart.

Les
Old 19 June 2007, 02:21 PM
rallying1
Scooby Regular

cheers boys I couldnt get my beret to sit right though, mind you it hasnt been on my head for years, still felt like an old bloke though being called 'a Veteran' jeez Im only 42.
Old 19 June 2007, 02:49 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

42 you old git, over half the age of PS Lewis