Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

following on from the Gilles Villeneuve thread......

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2007, 02:05 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default following on from the Gilles Villeneuve thread......

I wonder how many of today's F1 drivers would be able to lap at the same speed they did say 30 years ago?

Has it ever been tried, putting a 'new' F1 driver in an 'old' F1 car and seeing their lap times arround some of the circuits which haven't changed - Monaco?

Would be interesting viewing
Old 15 June 2007, 02:22 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they could. A fast driver is a fast driver, whatever they're driving.

They just happen to be in different era's that's all.
Old 15 June 2007, 02:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Would be interesting, doubt it'd happen though, safety being the main issue. As mentioned by someone on the Gilles thread, compare Gilles' accident with that of Kubica, it looks somewhat similar, and compare the outcome.

If Lewis went out in an old style car and smacked a wall at a fair speed, he may well be very, very seriously injured, if not killed. If they were to allow it, they would be told to not give it the full beans, which does invalidate the purpose of the test.

The other fact is, as you mention, some, if not all of the tracks from days of old have changed, if not from a safety aspect, but from a tech aspect. I would expect the surface materials used 30 years ago may have changed, or if they have not the, application and protection of the surfaces may have. Again this does not allow for a true comparison.
Old 15 June 2007, 02:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Would be interesting, doubt it'd happen though, safety being the main issue. As mentioned by someone on the Gilles thread, compare Gilles' accident with that of Kubica, it looks somewhat similar, and compare the outcome.

If Lewis went out in an old style car and smacked a wall at a fair speed, he may well be very, very seriously injured, if not killed. If they were to allow it, they would be told to not give it the full beans, which does invalidate the purpose of the test.

The other fact is, as you mention, some, if not all of the tracks from days of old have changed, if not from a safety aspect, but from a tech aspect. I would expect the surface materials used 30 years ago may have changed, or if they have not the, application and protection of the surfaces may have. Again this does not allow for a true comparison.
I think that is a fair description. It is difficult to compare drivers and their likely success in different eras. Modern drivers cope with very much higher speeds and may well find that that the slower speeds of the earlier cars make it a bit easier to cope with the lack of computer control etc that they have today.

Kubica's accident was mindbendingly fast and he would not have stood much of a chance in the older style of car. We have Jackie Stewart to thank for starting the move to greater safety and I for one was glad to see it. Looks as though the Gilles Villeneuve circuit owners could learn a bit more about modern road surfacing though!

Les
Old 15 June 2007, 02:41 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

they could drive round the nurburgring....

as you say though insurance would have a fit.

5t.
Old 15 June 2007, 02:43 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

A question I have asked ITV F1 week after week and I never get an answer

If you removed all the slowing down add ons liked groved tyres and gave them carte blance to design a car

HOW MUCH FASTER COULD THEY GO

year on year they reduce engine size, aero advantages etc etc and they still go faster

BUT HOW MUCH FASTER?
Old 15 June 2007, 03:07 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Looks as though the Gilles Villeneuve circuit owners could learn a bit more about modern road surfacing though!

Les
I think, and I could be wrong here, that the catylst for Kubica's accident was him hitting the rear of the car in front (Webber?) and then he veered off the track and did his rag doll impression.

One of the problems with the circuit is that it is used very infrequently. From what I understand the GP is the main motorsport event that occurs at the track, and I think for the rest of the time it remains closed. There certainly aren't any track days there, which is a pitty as it would be rather good, however I could see some serious accidents at the wall of champions when people get a little out of shape.

Another factor is the weather. Toronto get's pretty cold in winter but it's nothing compared with what Montreal can experience, and this does bring in your point about the tracks surface, the weather can seriously affect it. I've only walked round the track, but it did seem in pretty good condition, however that's not even in a road car, so it would be a different story to actually drive on it.
Old 15 June 2007, 05:32 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I remember seeing an interview with Michael Schumacher a couple of years ago when he tried a vintage Ferrari F1 car. Said it scared him silly and there's no way he'd want to try and push it to the limit
Old 15 June 2007, 11:21 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by gpssti4
some of the circuits which haven't changed - Monaco?
Monaco has changed quite a bit to be honest, believe it or not.
Old 15 June 2007, 11:34 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
I think, and I could be wrong here, that the catylst for Kubica's accident was him hitting the rear of the car in front (Webber?) and then he veered off the track and did his rag doll impression.
He hit Trulli and lost his front wing - no front wing = no going round corners
Old 16 June 2007, 01:59 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Leslie
Looks as though the Gilles Villeneuve circuit owners could learn a bit more about modern road surfacing though!

Les
To be fair Les, it doesn't matter how good a track surface is, a car still needs to be properly in contact with it for the brakes and steering to work
Old 16 June 2007, 12:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
To be fair Les, it doesn't matter how good a track surface is, a car still needs to be properly in contact with it for the brakes and steering to work
Markus and CPD,

It must have been the way I wrote the post. I was not implying that it was the fault of the track surface that Kubica crashed, he did indeed hit another car which sent him into the wall on his right initially at a very high speed.

I meant the state of the track on the apex of the hairpin after the spot where Kubica went off, this part of the track broke up during last year's GP as well.

Les