Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Need help returning faulty PC monitor

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2007, 10:32 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Need help returning faulty PC monitor

I've put this in NSR because its more related to sale of goods rather than a computer specific question.

I purchased an LG 22" widescreen monitor from a very well known online component shop for my PC on 23rd May and it arrived on 24th. I wasn't happy from the start and a friend has pointed out it is suffering from backlight bleed and I should return it.

I rang the online shop this morning. They said I should contact LG who should replace onsite. I rang LG who said I was entitled to a replacement from the online shop as the monitor is under 28 days.

The online shop only states the distance selling rules of 7 days. Before I pick up the phone again, can anyone tell me who is right here?

Another issue I have is that although I've got all the bits I haven't got the box anymore.
Old 12 June 2007, 11:07 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 7 day thing doen't apply to faulty goods. The online shop should replace it - You don't need the box if it is faulty
Old 12 June 2007, 11:20 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you are screwed, think you need the box for the 7 day return under the Distance Selling Regulations, and backlight bleed is subjective.
Old 12 June 2007, 11:29 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Well spoke to the shop and they have agreed to organise a collection for tomorrow. They have offered a refund which I've accepted. I also stated I no longer had the original box.

Fingers crossed it all goes without a hitch. I really hope so because I do like using these guys for PC stuff and will be using them to purchase this monitors replacement.

As for the bleed its pretty obvious and seems to get worse the longer its on. This particular model has got a rep for it apparently.
Old 12 June 2007, 11:42 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Returns for computer stuff is a pain sometimes...Usually its obtain a RMA (return to manufacturer authorisation) off the company, then using that instruct a shipping company to collect and return the goods (packaged correctly to prevent damage in transit)...all at your own cost.

Then once they recieve it they asess it, and if found to be faulty, they replace or refund it, and refund the shipping costs too. All this can take up to 2weeks.

Its a long winded affair, but it does get there in the end.

I should say if its being returned by a courrier, you need to make sure its packaged is such a way to prevent damage. It does prevent needless aggrovation as damage in transit due to poor packaging is a known get-out clause for returns (although you can always insure the goods with the courrier )

Worst problem is when they say they cannot find a fault - I had this with a stick of RAM, despite me doing everything in my power to proove it was duff (which it was...severely...it corrupted my OS). Eventually after debating with them that I purchased at the same time several other packs of RAM which all work fine in the same system, they eventually backed down and replaced it....took almost a month to sort though.

Good luck