Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

3 killed at Isle of Man TT

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2007, 06:44 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 killed at Isle of Man TT

Looks like a major accident in the Seniors race, one rider and two spectators killed. No doubt the whole TT safety thing will be brought to light now ...

Full story
Old 08 June 2007, 06:53 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by MJW
Looks like a major accident in the Seniors race, one rider and two spectators killed. No doubt the whole TT safety thing will be brought to light now ...

Full story
It's very sad: condolences to all affected.

Unless there was negligence or a breach of safety rules, there is no need to re-open a debate; Motorsport is dangerous, participants and spectators know and consent to the risks

Ns04
Old 08 June 2007, 06:57 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

very sad to see this, condolences to the families of the rider and spectators, and best wishes to those injured and recovering.

Been a bad week for bikes for me I think.
Just want to see all my friends return in one piece now.
Old 08 June 2007, 07:19 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Sad indeed but no need for a big enquiry/witch hunt. Everyone who enters/watches the TT is well aware of the risks, something like 200 people have been killed over 100 years of the event. So while this is tragic, it's really not anything new.
Old 08 June 2007, 09:09 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

No surprise really. The danger and risk is part of the attraction.

Who would be interested in an extra-safe TT with speed limits etc?! Nobody.
Old 09 June 2007, 01:31 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Not sure I agree!

In F1 people used to get killed all the time, in rallying (especially the Group B era) people got killed all the time.

The rules and approach were reviewed and now you have much quicker cars with death being the exception rather than the rule.

Why not have the same here?
Old 09 June 2007, 01:33 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

It is called Moto GP or WSB -
Old 09 June 2007, 06:18 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Not sure I agree!

In F1 people used to get killed all the time, in rallying (especially the Group B era) people got killed all the time.

The rules and approach were reviewed and now you have much quicker cars with death being the exception rather than the rule.

I did a little digging Rannoch
F1: F1 Driver Deaths 23 deaths 1954 - 1994
WRC: List of World Rally Championship people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 4 deaths?
TT: 222 DEATHS! Formula 1 blog - Linksheaven » Isle of Man TT - the bravest racers of them all

Blimey! That's a lot, in any money.
Old 09 June 2007, 08:46 AM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Not sure I agree!

How the hell can you do that?

WRC and F1 have been made safer by massive advances in the crash structure of the car, and in the case of F1 moving barriers as far away from the track as possible, giving the cars increased run off for when they do make a mistake.

Bikes obviously can never have any sort of crash structure.

The TT is run over a 37 mile road course, through towns and somethimes inches away from peoples front doors. There is no way of giving extra run off on many parts of the course. This 37 miles of roads is run at an average lap speed of over 125 MPH for the Superstock bikes (i.e. very closely related to what you can buy in the shop this afternoon) and at over 130 mph average for the Superbikes.

That will never, and can never be made safe. A cut in engine capicity won't exactly help, the the Supersport bikes (600cc) are still knocking on around the 125 MPH lap.

As many have said, the TT is a dangerous event, all the riders that go there are well aware of the risks, as are the spectators that stand close to the roadside. The TT is not part of any other championship, so the riders are under no pressure at all to race there if they don't want to.

Hopefully it will carry on for many more years yet, but I'm sure some do good government official will ban it at some point. We can't have people allowed to take calculated risks for themselves can we, this is the UK we are talking about
Old 09 June 2007, 08:58 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is sad but I support the right of people to take part in risky pursuits should they desire, if everything that could possible harm is legislated out of existence it will be a slow tedious, drawn out death rather than a quick one doing something you love.
Old 09 June 2007, 09:17 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

As long as the Manx Government stands, I can't see it being banned.
Old 09 June 2007, 09:28 AM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nido
I'm sure some do good government official will ban it at some point. We can't have people allowed to take calculated risks for themselves can we, this is the UK we are talking about
Fear not, thankfully that will never happen. Mainly due to the the Tynwald (IOM parliament) being able to stick two fingers up at the rest of the world.

If the UK had any control, the TT would have been dead and buried by the 70's.

The chances of pulling the rug from under themselves is probably zero. Any IOM MP who proposed such a bill would probably end up on the birch, or in the Irish Sea wearing concrete wellies.

I love the place.
Old 09 June 2007, 11:26 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As everyone has said, it is a unique race with 100 years of history behind it. Of course motor racing is dangerous, I remember that right from the times I used to watch the great historical drivers in the old F1 cars. I still remember reading that saying on the back of my first ticket to Silverstone track.

Those who watch and take part in the TT races know all that perfectly well and it is their choice completely to watch and to take part. I just hope that the PC Plonkers mind their own business on this one.

This historical event should be upheld in its present style for posterity.

Les
Old 09 June 2007, 11:31 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

It always amazes at these type of events, rallying especially, the proximity of the spectators to the track.

Old 09 June 2007, 01:25 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cw42
I did a little digging Rannoch
F1: F1 Driver Deaths 23 deaths 1954 - 1994
WRC: List of World Rally Championship people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 4 deaths?
TT: 222 DEATHS! Formula 1 blog - Linksheaven » Isle of Man TT - the bravest racers of them all

Blimey! That's a lot, in any money.

The above isn't a true representation of the real death toll. It isn't just drivers that get killed. If you had dug a little deeper you would have seen the death toll for spectators at a Monza in a Grand Prix race in 1928 (racer Emilio Materassi and 27 spectators), and again at the same venue in 1961 (racer Wolfgang Von Trips and 14 spectators)
I've only mentioned two examples there are many more.
Old 09 June 2007, 09:26 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Someone will be along to say something about 'carbon footprints' in a minute
Old 09 June 2007, 10:48 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

I remember that right from the times I used to watch the great historical drivers in the old F1 cars. Les

C'mon Les, no way are you that old !
Old 10 June 2007, 12:07 AM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

Been such a great week(s) as well, to be marred by such a tragedy after the race was won (in style)was even worse.
Road was shut for 3 hours today to let the police/forensics do their stuff.
For the chaos of numbers this has been an extremely safe time.
No commiseration to the bereaved and injured of course.
Off topic but,I have only been out once (over the mountain) this week (for unavoidable work at 0745) and there were few nutters about , but had my wits about me.
Old 10 June 2007, 04:14 AM
falkster
Scooby Regular

t'is very sad and to be honest, as said above, I think the whole TT event will come under a great deal of scrutiny!

You cant have that sort of risk every year! I understand people do know the risks of taking part and spectating but the event organisers have a duty of care to limit the potential loss via risk assesments and if that means it not happening then that may be the case.
Old 10 June 2007, 08:38 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Gymbal
Road was shut for 3 hours today to let the police/forensics do their stuff.
Road would have been shut for a minimum of 24 hours here in UK
Old 11 June 2007, 10:42 AM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by falkster
t'is very sad and to be honest, as said above, I think the whole TT event will come under a great deal of scrutiny!

You cant have that sort of risk every year! I understand people do know the risks of taking part and spectating but the event organisers have a duty of care to limit the potential loss via risk assesments and if that means it not happening then that may be the case.
Fortunately it is for the Manx state to decide rather than people in an adjacent island. We can have that risk every year (100 so far) noone is forced to watch, risk minimisation is useful but it does have to be balanced.

Roll on the Southern hundred, the Manx grand prix and TT08. Plus rallies etc

And no I dont ride a bike....
Old 11 June 2007, 12:55 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gymbal
Fortunately it is for the Manx state to decide rather than people in an adjacent island.
And a lot of people on the adjacent island (and further afield) are acutely aware and thankful for that!
Old 11 June 2007, 01:58 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I've thought for some time that something needs to be done about the IOM TT. My suggestion would be:

Have a purpose built track, not a mickey mouse modern F1 track, but something more like Assen. This would then hold a round of MotoGP and WSB at consecutive weekends. In the middle of that week there would be traditional TT races on the road circuit, but only smaller proper racing bikes like 125 and 250cc (not road based 1000cc things), as well as demonstration laps by ex riders etc.

This way there would still be TT week, but with the road races scaled back and 2 World Championship rounds to watch.

Appreciate that die-hard TT people may not agree, but I think it's time to move on.
Old 11 June 2007, 02:54 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Every person, rider and/or spectator, has the right to choose what they want to take a risk doing - the responses above about closing the TT down are just typical of the "cotton wool" society the UK has become.

If everyone observing or taking part in ANY activity is willing to accept its risks, then why should people from elsewhere on the globe be allowed to say what happens to that activity?

Sad loss for the 3 dead, but its just the way it is.
Old 11 June 2007, 03:17 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Every person, rider and/or spectator, has the right to choose what they want to take a risk doing - the responses above about closing the TT down are just typical of the "cotton wool" society the UK has become.

If everyone observing or taking part in ANY activity is willing to accept its risks, then why should people from elsewhere on the globe be allowed to say what happens to that activity?

condolences to all those affected but i agree 100% with what you are saying
Old 11 June 2007, 03:21 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Old 11 June 2007, 04:17 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately the TT gives Motorcycling an even worse reputation than it already has.

My suggestions above would retain the unique atmosphere of the TT, whilst hopefully reducing the terrible death toll.

More common sense than cotton wool I reckon.
Old 11 June 2007, 05:23 PM
sociophobe
Scooby Regular

What are you comparing this 'terrible death toll' to?

4000 children die every day, because they simply don’t have access to an adequate supply of clean water

Quick Reply: 3 killed at Isle of Man TT