Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Spare a thought for the McCanns

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2007, 01:12 PM
Chief Constable Gene Hunt
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Spare a thought for the McCanns

They attended a classical and jazz concert back in the Algarve on Thursday evening, held in honour of Madeleine.

The McCanns plan a quiet day with their other children, twins Amelie and Sean, before travelling to Morocco at the weekend, reports said.

The couple feel Morocco is an important place to go because of its proximity to Portugal. Several ferries a day leave from Tarifa in Spain for the short crossing to Tangiers.

A) Jazz concert, that's nice
B) If Morocco is so important why not go there first, rather than see the Pope?
C) How long will it be before they take this tour to the Caribbean (just in case)
Old 08 June 2007, 01:38 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Something really fishy going on with that lot and it isn't the grilled sardines on the Algarve.

Even if she has been taken to Morocco chances of them finding her are nil, it's a huge country with some very isolated areas.
Old 08 June 2007, 01:39 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

D) A bank account full of cash !! Sorry, donations.
Old 08 June 2007, 01:41 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

Originally Posted by stilover
D) A bank account full of cash !! Sorry, donations.
They are both Dr's - do you really think they would do this for a few hundread grand???? They prob earn £100k + each as it is!
Old 08 June 2007, 01:50 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
They are both Dr's - do you really think they would do this for a few hundread grand???? They prob earn £100k + each as it is!

Do you know that for a fact??

Who knows what people would do for money. You could earn £250K a year and still be skint. If they're that loaded then why not spend there own money first instead of asking for donations.

Oh that's right. It seems to be everyone else's fault that there daughter went missing. Why should they pay.
Old 08 June 2007, 01:52 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Something really fishy going on with that lot and it isn't the grilled sardines on the Algarve.

Even if she has been taken to Morocco chances of them finding her are nil, it's a huge country with some very isolated areas.
I'm going to Morocco next month I'll keep a look out.
Old 08 June 2007, 02:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chief Constable Gene Hunt
A) Jazz concert, that's nice
B) If Morocco is so important why not go there first, rather than see the Pope?
C) How long will it be before they take this tour to the Caribbean (just in case)
I don't see anything wrong with any of the actions you describe above. As far as I am concerned that despite their irresponsible behaviour on the night that the little girl disappeared, they seem at the moment to be doing all they can to keep her in the news wirth the consequent chance of her recovery if she is still alright, unlikely though that may be!

There is not a scrap of evidence to prove any thing as far as conning the public is concerned. Of course that would be possible but in the circumstances so far, I think it is totally wrong and most unfair to insinuate they they are in some kind of a scam over all this.

Les
Old 08 June 2007, 02:18 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Leslie
I don't see anything wrong with any of the actions you describe above. As far as I am concerned that despite their irresponsible behaviour on the night that the little girl disappeared, they seem at the moment to be doing all they can to keep her in the news wirth the consequent chance of her recovery if she is still alright, unlikely though that may be!

There is not a scrap of evidence to prove any thing as far as conning the public is concerned. Of course that would be possible but in the circumstances so far, I think it is totally wrong and most unfair to insinuate they they are in some kind of a scam over all this.

Les
Spot on les!
Old 08 June 2007, 02:29 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know that for a fact??

Who knows what people would do for money. You could earn £250K a year and still be skint. If they're that loaded then why not spend there own money first instead of asking for donations.

Oh that's right. It seems to be everyone else's fault that there daughter went missing. Why should they pay.
if the family had that sort of disposable income dont you think they would have used their own cash to find her. many people want Maddie found and have donated cash to help in that search. how do you know that they havnt spent their own cash?
who is paying their mortgage while they are away, who is earning any wages atm?

if they were that hard up dont you think they would have sold Maddie on the black market and got a better price for her?
Old 08 June 2007, 02:30 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

I wouldn't have thought there was any sort of scam going on from the evidence we have.

What I do think is happening though is an attempt to distance themselves from (and forget) the fact that other than the scum that took the child the only other people to blame in this sorry saga is themselves.

I'd give a lot if the little girl could come back unharmed but I would not give a penny to that pair of child abusers- because that's exactly what they are. I can't understand how the core fact that they abandoned their child is being forgotten.

This report in your No1 scum made me laugh today

The Sun Online - News: Portuguese cops' booze botch

I particularly enjoyed the comment

"The missing girl’s aunt Philomena said: If it were detectives from Scotland Yard there would be absolute uproar.”

Correct there would, but guess what Philomena? Portugal is a different country with different traditions, laws and norms. If you and your family don't like it maybe, just maybe they shouldn't have gone on holiday there and abandoned their children while they went out for dinner and a few drinks.
Old 08 June 2007, 02:30 PM
BANNED

Originally Posted by sarasquares
if they were that hard up dont you think they would have sold Maddie on the black market and got a better price for her?
Now there's a thought......

And how do you know how much they got for her
Old 08 June 2007, 02:32 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chief Constable Gene Hunt
Now there's a thought......

And how do you know how much they got for her
all i know is that if they cut out the middle man they get more cash

i havnt checked ebay yet
Old 08 June 2007, 02:33 PM
BANNED

Originally Posted by sarasquares
all i know is that if they cut out the middle man they get more cash

i havnt checked ebay yet
You aren't going on holiday anything soon I hope
Old 08 June 2007, 02:34 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

i am hoping to, just need to raise some cash
Old 08 June 2007, 02:47 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NACRO
I wouldn't have thought there was any sort of scam going on from the evidence we have.

What I do think is happening though is an attempt to distance themselves from (and forget) the fact that other than the scum that took the child the only other people to blame in this sorry saga is themselves.

I'd give a lot if the little girl could come back unharmed but I would not give a penny to that pair of child abusers- because that's exactly what they are. I can't understand how the core fact that they abandoned their child is being forgotten.

This report in your No1 scum made me laugh today

The Sun Online - News: Portuguese cops' booze botch

I particularly enjoyed the comment

"The missing girl’s aunt Philomena said: If it were detectives from Scotland Yard there would be absolute uproar.”

Correct there would, but guess what Philomena? Portugal is a different country with different traditions, laws and norms. If you and your family don't like it maybe, just maybe they shouldn't have gone on holiday there and abandoned their children while they went out for dinner and a few drinks.
also spot on
Old 08 June 2007, 02:54 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

You could earn £250K a year and still be skint.

I do....and i am!

But i still wouldnt kill one of my kids for £500k and anyone that thinks these guys did is insane.
Old 08 June 2007, 02:58 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

I can't understand how the core fact that they abandoned their child is being forgotten.
Because the "core fact" is not a big deal - thousands of people do it all the time, like it or not.

The resulting fact....abduction, is a big deal.

Its like if someone didnt wear a seat belt, crashed into a spaceship and killed themselves......everyone would have been talking about the aliens apart from you who would be saying......"i cant believe everyone has forgotten they had no seat belts"
Old 08 June 2007, 03:18 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Because the "core fact" is not a big deal - thousands of people do it all the time, like it or not.

Its like if someone didnt wear a seat belt, crashed into a spaceship and killed themselves......everyone would have been talking about the aliens apart from you who would be saying......"i cant believe everyone has forgotten they had no seat belts"
hmmn if you like your seat belt analogy so much how about this.

Drunk driver hits a car, 3 kids in the back and parents in the front. Parents are belted up, kids aren't. One of the kids goes through the windscreen and is killed. The parents and the other 2 kids are safe- by a miracle.

Everyone's talking about the drunk b@stard, also everyone's talking about the stupid fecking parents who didn't bother belting their children in.

Go figure to use a sickening but apt Americanism.
Old 08 June 2007, 03:42 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
absolutely agree with that

As far as I can see they are both working tirelessly to get word of their daughters abduction to as many people as possible. Obviously being devout Catholics, the Pope and their faith is very important to them, hence their trip visiting the Pope.
Old 08 June 2007, 03:47 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

hmmn if you like your seat belt analogy so much how about this.

Drunk driver hits a car, 3 kids in the back and parents in the front. Parents are belted up, kids aren't. One of the kids goes through the windscreen and is killed. The parents and the other 2 kids are safe- by a miracle.

Everyone's talking about the drunk b@stard, also everyone's talking about the stupid fecking parents who didn't bother belting their children in.

Go figure to use a sickening but apt Americanism.

useless analogy - the thing everyone is talking about is the ABDUCTION OF A GIRL AND ATTEMPTS BY PARENTS TO FIND HER.

That is a HUGE story, far greater than the "Crime" of neglecting the kids in the first place. Your analogy has no "bigger story" to it.

If you cant see that something has developed from the initial mistake by the parents that is much more media demanding then you are blind!
Old 08 June 2007, 03:51 PM
NACRO
BANNED

useless analogy!
I agree and you are the one that brought it up. Glad you've admitted it's useless. That was the entire point of me developing it- to lay bare the fact it was total crap.

Moving onto my perspective what is important is that the little girl is found, god willing, alive.

However what's also important is that the other culpable parties in this, her incompetent and negligent parents aren't allowed to get away with abandoning the child.
Old 08 June 2007, 04:02 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

so do you understand yet....or are you still confused as to why a global hunt for a missing child is a bigger story than someone leaving their kid alone for a night while they have dinner 60 yards away.
Old 08 June 2007, 04:10 PM
NACRO
BANNED

so do you understand yet....or are you still confused as to why a global hunt for a missing child is a bigger story than someone leaving their kid alone for a night while they have dinner 60 yards away.
errrm I was never confused as to why it might be a bigger story. What I was dismayed about is the fact they seem to be getting away with the crime they've committed and making a profit to boot.
Old 08 June 2007, 04:13 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

People go out on the pi55 leaving their 2 year old in charge of some toddlers all the time? Cool... I didnt know that. I am very numb to the retardedness of society in that case.

Using the above terminology, the "core fact" is actually THE monumentally massive big deal, as without it there would be no "abduction"...

I hope the McCans continue to make the most of their world tour, and expect they'll be having two weeks at a Sandals resort soon, just in case

The sooner she is found and the McCans hand back the pot of gold they are building to the mentally inept donators, the better...

I hope the jazz concert was good. Personally, I hate jazz...
Old 08 June 2007, 04:14 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

From the start they've both struck me as the sort of people who viewed their kids as 'lifestyle accessories', to be picked up and put down as it suited them

Nothing they've done since the disappearance has changed that opinion I'm afraid
Old 08 June 2007, 04:42 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
People go out on the pi55 leaving their 2 year old in charge of some toddlers all the time? Cool... I didnt know that.

Using the above terminology, the "core fact" is actually THE monumentally massive big deal.

glad to have taught something new - i assume now you do know it you no longer regard it as a big deal....as it isnt!

Its stupid, irresponsible and selfish - but not uncommon and not worthy of being on the news.....for example, if the story was that the kid fell out of bed and broke her arm it wouldn't have made the local rag, let alone a global news event....yet the parents actions would have been the same to have resulted in that happening.

The news worthy issue is the missing kid and the search - not the parents error.
Old 08 June 2007, 04:49 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Morrocco should have been the second place they looked (first being the resort and portugal's borders)
Old 08 June 2007, 08:18 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

But i still wouldnt kill one of my kids for £500k and anyone that thinks these guys did is insane.

You are judging them by your standards though, what's to say they haven't done that??

there are plenty of sick people in the world that would do things we wouldn't,
Harold Shipman, Fred and Rose West, Ian Huntley, Jeffery Dahmer, Myra Hindley.....
Old 08 June 2007, 08:58 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gljam
You are judging them by your standards though, what's to say they haven't done that??

there are plenty of sick people in the world that would do things we wouldn't,
Harold Shipman, Fred and Rose West, Ian Huntley, Jeffery Dahmer, Myra Hindley.....

because they arent stupid (we have to assume as they have become dr's) and getting your kid taken in the hope that (never before seen) levels of public support generate (unpredicted) levels of donation is....stupid.
Old 08 June 2007, 09:45 PM
Jeff Stryker
BANNED

(we have to assume as they have become dr's)
So was Shipman

Quick Reply: Spare a thought for the McCanns