Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thank god for decent coppers, they do still exist.

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2007, 05:04 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thank god for decent coppers, they do still exist.

I did something in the car this morning which was pretty dumb, forgive me for not giving specific details on a public forum but it was a moments bad judgement and whilst I didn't have any kind of accident, it could/should have landed me in a lot of trouble (i.e. definate loss of license for at least a year).

Sadly old bill happened to spot my extremely dodgy manouvre, and I was duly pulled over and read the riot act by the Sergeant. At this point I was sh!tt!ng bricks as I knew full well the implications of what they were talking about charging me with, and I was mentally kicking myself as these days I actually tend to drive pretty safely and this was really just an unlucky lapse in judgement.

I was given a chance to explain my actions, and I basically said I couldn't justify what I did. I said I was fully aware of what the possible ramifications were, ban, loss of job as I need the car, retest after ban, massive insurance hike etc. The sergeant clicked that I was being sincere (I was!) and not bluffing or giving a sob story, and after checking all my documents (which were in order) and the condition of the car, basically gave me the opportunity to apologise to them and promise never to give them cause to pull me over again.

I did so, and they said "right we'll leave it there then this time - don't be such an idiot in future" or words to that effect. I can't remember the exact words as my head was spinning, and my stomach was churning bigtime.

Anyway, I know you're not reading this Sergeant X, but I'm genuinely grateful for the ticking off you gave me today. So is the missus who gave me a right b0ll0cking for being such a tw@t when I told her afterwards why I was late getting back from the shops. It seems there are still some decent and balanced police officers out there after all.

I will take this as a big lesson learned, might join the IAM too.

Old 06 June 2007, 05:23 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Fair play mate, there are some decent ones out there, have had a couple of moments like that in the last 17 years of driving.
Old 06 June 2007, 05:23 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
I did something in the car this morning which was pretty dumb, forgive me for not giving specific details on a public forum but it was a moments bad judgement and whilst I didn't have any kind of accident, it could/should have landed me in a lot of trouble (i.e. definate loss of license for at least a year).

Sadly old bill happened to spot my extremely dodgy manouvre, and I was duly pulled over and read the riot act by the Sergeant. At this point I was sh!tt!ng bricks as I knew full well the implications of what they were talking about charging me with, and I was mentally kicking myself as these days I actually tend to drive pretty safely and this was really just an unlucky lapse in judgement.

I was given a chance to explain my actions, and I basically said I couldn't justify what I did. I said I was fully aware of what the possible ramifications were, ban, loss of job as I need the car, retest after ban, massive insurance hike etc. The sergeant clicked that I was being sincere (I was!) and not bluffing or giving a sob story, and after checking all my documents (which were in order) and the condition of the car, basically gave me the opportunity to apologise to them and promise never to give them cause to pull me over again.

I did so, and they said "right we'll leave it there then this time - don't be such an idiot in future" or words to that effect. I can't remember the exact words as my head was spinning, and my stomach was churning bigtime.

Anyway, I know you're not reading this Sergeant X, but I'm genuinely grateful for the ticking off you gave me today. So is the missus who gave me a right b0ll0cking for being such a tw@t when I told her afterwards why I was late getting back from the shops. It seems there are still some decent and balanced police officers out there after all.

This is what it's about, you understand the error of your ways and you'll make sure you don't do it again.

Getting a NIP through the post 14 days after some event you probably can't remember is unlikely to change your driving habits beyond going out and buying a road angel.
Old 06 June 2007, 05:26 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Probably thought you were a woman
Old 06 June 2007, 05:28 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

So it was a plain clothed police car then
Old 06 June 2007, 05:32 PM
Chief Constable Gene Hunt
BANNED

Proper 'old fashioned' Police work
Old 06 June 2007, 05:32 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Car was "plain clothed", the occupants weren't.

I was very lucky to get away with a warning tbh, since I got caught for a similar thing about 10 years ago (a singular but very iffy overtake) and ended up catching the bus for a year. Hence why the ramifications were pretty clear to me, and would have been worse this time considering past history.
Old 06 June 2007, 05:47 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Well you have learnt so much more than a fine would have taught you.

Plus i watch so may Police programs where people steal cars and drive like real divs and still get away with it.
Old 06 June 2007, 06:07 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

I had a good police experience this week. On Sunday night my scooter was nicked from outside my house. (Turns out I'd left the key in it like a complete ***.)

Anyway, a neighbour saw this and called the police. They were 'round in 5-10 minutes, took a few details from me in my dressing gown. I'd had a couple of mates in earlier in the evening and there was a slight odour of special tobacco, but no comment was made bar a heavy sniff or two. They also warned me that it might cost me £150 if they recovered the bike and held it for me.

Next day at lunchtime, got a call to say they'd found it. A few scractches and no mirrors but basically ok (no need to barrell the ignition you see ). Could I collect it? Not until later. Ok, he says, we'll haul it into a van and you can come and get it later. No charge

So I got it back at the cost of a bit of wear and tear. Considering what an utter berk I'd been to lose it, a good result, and thanks to the good work of the rozzers on this occasion. So thanks to PC Andrews and his mates who helped him hoist a bike into a van.
Old 06 June 2007, 06:14 PM
New_scooby_04

Another criminal walks away Scot free!!

Without knowing what you did, it's difficult to comment on whether his letting you off was justified or whether he was just being a lazy b*stard and should have hung you up by your nads!

We all make mistakes; sometimes silly ones! If no harm come of it, you're grown up enough to admit it, apologise and display a bit of humility and a good attitude (as you did) then sometimes a ticking off is all that is required.

I'd certainly prefer to have coppers out there exercising good discretion then more cameras!!

Ns04
Old 06 June 2007, 06:55 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Car was "plain clothed", the occupants weren't.

I was very lucky to get away with a warning tbh, since I got caught for a similar thing about 10 years ago (a singular but very iffy overtake) and ended up catching the bus for a year. Hence why the ramifications were pretty clear to me, and would have been worse this time considering past history.
In that case they made a bad call, surely?
Old 06 June 2007, 07:02 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

obviously not learnt from your mistake 10 years ago by the sounds of it, but good luck to ya
Old 06 June 2007, 07:19 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Well the 10 years ago thing was a weird one, which boiled down to me overtaking an unmarked car doing 35 in a 40. And them deciding to throw the book at me (dangerous driving), it was 2 v 1 with no video evidence.

Before that I did used to drive like a right nugget, and tbh looking back although the pull was unfair IMO - the ban was probably a good thing in the long run as it really did make me think.

I'm a lot better these days, I very rarely break the speed limit, and I'm a pretty observant driver. I don't listen to music as I find it a distraction when driving. I don't drive high performance cars/bikes any more, and am usually the first to moan about boy racers etc.

This morning I was chatting to a mate in the passenger seat, and was getting a little frustrated at lack of progress due to slower (safer?) traffic in front, so was maybe a little distracted/irritated.

I do realise I had a very lucky escape, and I hope it will focus me more in future.
Old 06 June 2007, 07:22 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Without knowing what you did, it's difficult to comment on whether his letting you off was justified or whether he was just being a lazy b*stard and should have hung you up by your nads!
Tbh, I probably deserved to be talking with a high pitched voice right now - very glad I'm not.
Old 07 June 2007, 11:49 AM
mr_p1ssed_off
Scooby Regular

Angry

Whereas I always get the jobsworth to$$ers

I had one yesterday trying to say I was causing an abstruction with my vehicle, when clearly I had stopped in a perfectly safe parking space outside some shops. After 10 mins of argueing, with him saying "move it or I'll nick you for obstructing the highway" I said "NO I'm parked legally" he then said "but who will the Magistrate believe in court"
The tw@t

I ended up moving, but doubled back round to find HIM parked in the exact same spot I was in previous and nipping into the Bakers, presumably for a sandwhich!

I took photo's and had made a note of his number, but whats the point of me reporting him? None!

What I did do was act childlishly and pull alongside him, give it a few revs and drop my clutch.
Being rearwheel drive I got the tyres smoking pretty well and as his drivers window was down, it pretty much filled his car with tyre smoke.

I felt loads better for doing that and he can't prove it was me!

Mr PO
Old 07 June 2007, 12:01 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Congrats Iwan for running into that very rare breed. A traffic cop thats also a human being.
Old 07 June 2007, 12:20 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by paulr
Congrats Iwan for running into that very rare breed. A traffic cop thats also a human being.
Who ironically failed to ask if he'd done it before otherwise Iwan might not have been so lucky.
Old 07 June 2007, 12:30 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_p1ssed_off
Whereas I always get the jobsworth to$$ers

I ended up moving, but doubled back round to find HIM parked in the exact same spot I was in previous and nipping into the Bakers, presumably for a sandwhich!

I took photo's and had made a note of his number, but whats the point of me reporting him? None!

Mr PO
Every point!!

I believe the cops take complaints seriously!! especially as you have pics!! explain the story etc and i am sure the officer in question will get questioned about it!!

Dave
Old 07 June 2007, 12:35 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Who ironically failed to ask if he'd done it before otherwise Iwan might not have been so lucky.
Er no, you misunderstand. I fessed up my previous history to the copper and used it to illustrate how well I understood the consequences, when I was asked "do you know the consequences of what you could be charged with?".

Obviously you wouldn't have done the same, guess I just have to be thankful it wasn't you wearing the uniform.
Old 07 June 2007, 12:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good to hear that tale Iwan. There was a time when most coppers were like that and if they assessed you as genuine and truly sorry were likely to give you a deserved bollocking and let you go. As mentioned above, they were usually traffic cops and knew about driving as well as people.

His actions will have done good because I bet you wont do that again-whatever it was. Bet there aren'y many here who can say they have not transgressed the rules, I certainly can't, but like you I generally observe the speed limits now although that does not stop me from enjoying my cornering

I have had the odd rollicking from a traffic cop in the past and it did me good too. Funny how appreciation of the cop's attitude makes you more likely to abide by the law! We need more traffic cops and less speedcams.

Les
Old 07 June 2007, 12:46 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Er no, you misunderstand. I fessed up my previous history to the copper and used it to illustrate how well I understood the consequences, when I was asked "do you know the consequences of what you could be charged with?".

Obviously you wouldn't have done the same, guess I just have to be thankful it wasn't you wearing the uniform.
Ah you never said that, in that case you were really lucky to be let off. As for me taking a different approach, then yes, I'd have challenged you to a race through the town.
Old 07 June 2007, 01:17 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Good to hear that tale Iwan. There was a time when most coppers were like that and if they assessed you as genuine and truly sorry were likely to give you a deserved bollocking and let you go. As mentioned above, they were usually traffic cops and knew about driving as well as people.

His actions will have done good because I bet you wont do that again-whatever it was. Bet there aren'y many here who can say they have not transgressed the rules, I certainly can't, but like you I generally observe the speed limits now although that does not stop me from enjoying my cornering

I have had the odd rollicking from a traffic cop in the past and it did me good too. Funny how appreciation of the cop's attitude makes you more likely to abide by the law! We need more traffic cops and less speedcams.

Les
Well it'll certainly make me think and be more careful, at least in the short term and probably (almost certainly) in the long term. I still feel sick now when I think about standing there yesterday, and I can't really convey how thankful I am to have been given another chance. I really mean that.

And I've looked into joining the IAM and doing some advanced (safety) driving, looks really interesting and will hopefully keep the mesage clear in my head. As soon as next payday comes I'm booking their 'Skill for Life' package.

Skill for Life
Old 07 June 2007, 01:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I'm a lot better these days, I very rarely break the speed limit, and I'm a pretty observant driver. I don't listen to music as I find it a distraction when driving. I don't drive high performance cars/bikes any more, and am usually the first to moan about boy racers etc.
Are you a pensioner?????

Sounds like we have a saint Iwan on the board. What did you do exactly? 65 in a 60 zone ???? Ooooohhh scary.

You don't even listen to the Archer's while driving?
Probably can't work the small buttons with your driving gloves on.
Old 07 June 2007, 01:20 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Are you a pensioner?????

Sounds like we have a saint Iwan on the board. What did you do exactly? 65 in a 60 zone ???? Ooooohhh scary.

I'm not that bad, but my big problem is I have a short fuse and sometimes have a tendancy to react rather strongly to people dithering and holding me up (for example) when I'm making (legal) progress. Again I'm not going to be more specific on a public forum, or knowing my luck they'll come after me and the copper who let me off.
Old 07 June 2007, 01:34 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I'm not that bad, but my big problem is I have a short fuse and sometimes have a tendancy to react rather strongly to people dithering and holding me up (for example) when I'm making (legal) progress. Again I'm not going to be more specific on a public forum, or knowing my luck they'll come after me and the copper who let me off.

Just say you know a friend who ............

You've not admitted to anything then.

Come on Iwan, we're all dying to know.
Old 07 June 2007, 04:43 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

And then there's those that pull you over for going through GREEN lights, giving you 3 points and a hefty fine.
Or does that just happen in my neck of the woods?
Old 07 June 2007, 07:33 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

A few years ago i use to travel to work at 4.30A.M use to belt through a 30MPH limit at ermm speed, one morning I got followed by a very decent copper who once he saw me getting out of my car in my uniform he duely changed straight away, He said late for work Sir, Yes officer I said, can i just show you something he said he got his lady P.C. to touch my break pedal and I had a short one light went out and an idicator came on, would you mind getting that fixed Sir, No problem officer it will be done lunch time, OH and would just mind slowing down a bit, decent bloke who could have thrown the book at me if he wished, so yes their are some decent coppers out there.
Cheers
colin
Old 07 June 2007, 08:18 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
A few years ago i use to travel to work at 4.30A.M use to belt through a 30MPH limit at ermm speed, one morning I got followed by a very decent copper who once he saw me getting out of my car in my uniform he duely changed straight away, He said late for work Sir, Yes officer I said, can i just show you something he said he got his lady P.C. to touch my break pedal and I had a short one light went out and an idicator came on, would you mind getting that fixed Sir, No problem officer it will be done lunch time, OH and would just mind slowing down a bit, decent bloke who could have thrown the book at me if he wished, so yes their are some decent coppers out there.
Cheers
colin
Did he not ask which school opened up at 4:30am ?? Kids get away with everything these days
Old 08 June 2007, 02:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Are you a pensioner?????

This post is unfair on pensioners!

Les
Old 08 June 2007, 03:12 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
This post is unfair on pensioners!

Les

Don't worry Les. You'll forget you read it shortly.

Quick Reply: Thank god for decent coppers, they do still exist.