Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Just had some bad news :(

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2007, 11:45 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had some bad news :(

Just had news that one of my old friends, John Weston, has been killed in a motorcycle accident in Mitcham on Saturday night.
I have know John for many years now, and as common as it is to be said, he was a lovely guy, a great father, and a brilliant friend.

This is the second friend I have lost to motorcycles in 5 months.

So Kevin Flanders, and John Weston, Rest In Peace guys, you are missed, but never forgotton.
Old 06 June 2007, 11:56 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

An old school mate of mine was killed at the weekend too.

Crashed his R1 out braking himself at a roundabout. Went straight into the front of an oncoming car.

He'd had 2 crashes before and it's been well known between all his friends that he just can't ride a motorbike as good as he thinks he can. Point proved, unfortunately
Old 06 June 2007, 12:00 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

They don't call them donorbikes in the NHS for nothing you know. Borrowed time if you're on one of those things i'm afraid.
Old 06 June 2007, 12:09 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
They don't call them donorbikes in the NHS for nothing you know. Borrowed time if you're on one of those things i'm afraid.
have to agree. Why people buy the things is beyond me. you could be the best rider the world has ever seen but far too many idiots in cars and trucks. Never nice to hear somebody has died before their time.
Old 06 June 2007, 12:11 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

People who ride fast on roads on bikes worry me.

being a biker most of my life i have now turned to four wheels for my kicks.

dont get me wrong i'd love to get another bike tommorrow but i suppose in my old age and self preservation it prevents me getting another one.

cars are just so much more forgiving as well as having a ton of steel around you - even if a car is no where near as quick/exciting.

No matter how good or careful you are there are the other road users that are feckin idiots.

In fact i seem to remember Ronnie Smith of Performance Bikes Fame was killed on a 125 Scooter and that man was class on a performance bike.

Sorry to hear about your loss fella
Old 06 June 2007, 12:24 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i'm gutted for you mate i watch in horror as a lad on a bike over took a car and put himself under the front of a bus on a bend.this was only a month ago
Old 06 June 2007, 12:26 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

Old 06 June 2007, 12:31 PM
MY97_Toy
Scooby Regular

Sad to say an old fella mate of mine lost his son last month. Straight road nothing about, not a mark on his body?????

Wife and 2 kids minus one father. Very sad.
Old 06 June 2007, 12:31 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Seen a few deaths on bikes now, the worst being on Chelsea Bridge, 1 bike pulling out of the park into the path of another, travelling at an estimated 110-140 mph.
His body crumpled in a shocking way as he went over the bars, and stopped within 20ft of the crash scene, serious decelleration. Paramedics who arrived said he was technically alive for a few mins, but no hope, and nothing could be done he was so broken.

His bike ran on to write off 3 cars.

I cant understand wanting to ride bikes these days now. Take it to a track on a trailer and I start to get it.
Seen far too many accidents now, a few of them friends, and some other being fatal. And to now lose another 2 friends in 5 months finishes it off now.
Old 06 June 2007, 12:32 PM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Utter piffle, lets not get into that old discussion.

However you die if you die before your time it aint good. There is a real problem at the moment with the sheer performance of modern motocycles and the ability of the average Joe riding them. There are a lot of guys out there who look nothing less than dangerous when on bike bikes.

I have a number of bikes and do around 30k a year and yes I have had close shaves but would never stop.

The problem with dying is that you miss an opportunity to learn. Condolences fella.
Old 06 June 2007, 12:32 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of your loss mate.

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 06 June 2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06 June 2007, 12:33 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
An old school mate of mine was killed at the weekend too.

Crashed his R1 out braking himself at a roundabout. Went straight into the front of an oncoming car.

He'd had 2 crashes before and it's been well known between all his friends that he just can't ride a motorbike as good as he thinks he can. Point proved, unfortunately
Sorry to hear about your loss too mate.

With the summer coming on fast, the number increase now. Wish I could just convince my mates to put their bikes away.
Old 06 June 2007, 12:38 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bakerman
So which statistics are you conveniently trying to ignore? If you're a bike-man, fine, i have nothing against them per se. Just be aware that your life expectancy is significantly shorter if you regularly ride a motorbike.

Like i say, without motorbikes, the NHS would have a serious organ donor shortage. And trust me, i'm really NOT making that up. Don't kid yourself that you're invincible out there, that could be your worst mistake ever.
Old 06 June 2007, 12:41 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

However you die if you die before your time it aint good. There is a real problem at the moment with the sheer performance of modern motocycles and the ability of the average Joe riding them. There are a lot of guys out there who look nothing less than dangerous when on bike bikes.

I have a number of bikes and do around 30k a year and yes I have had close shaves but would never stop.

The problem with dying is that you miss an opportunity to learn. Condolences fella.
Head in the sand
Old 06 June 2007, 01:09 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

No because cars are statistically much safer, obviously?
Old 06 June 2007, 01:53 PM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Head in the sand

Not the time nor place to get into it as it is somebody elses thread about their loss.
Old 06 June 2007, 01:57 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Start a new thread then. If you want the FACTS about motorcycle casualties, then i'm sure i won't be alone in being happy to supply you with them. We're obviously sorry for this guy's loss, i just thought it a timely opportunity to spell out what a risky occupation biking can be. In no way is your insult to STiwS justified, it just makes you look foolish, with respect.
Old 06 June 2007, 01:59 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Another issue with bikes is that there is a real obsession in this country for having the biggest engine size. I know you can be killed on any size bike, but for our roads a 250cc 2 stroke or 400cc 4 stroke should be ample and in fact alot more enjoyable to ride. A friend of mine used to go to track days on an Aprilia 250 and take great pleasure in out-breaking and out-cornering 1000cc bikes, much to the other rider's annoyance!
Old 06 June 2007, 02:00 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

1) Condolences

2) Well said Tel
Old 06 June 2007, 02:00 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

The original poster has said he'd like his friends to put their bikes away for the summer, so I think the comments so far are acceptable.
Old 06 June 2007, 02:07 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
The original poster has said he'd like his friends to put their bikes away for the summer, so I think the comments so far are acceptable.
I agree. I thought the thread hinted as such in it's tone. a quick google gives some figures regarding bikes on Uk roads. I cant verify them but have no reason to believe they're off the mark.

In the UK motorcyclists represent just 1% of road users but motorcyclists are involved in a vastly disproportionate number of the road traffic accidents that occur on our roads (and no doubt similarly worldwide) often with the rider sustaining serious injuries or being killed. Too many of the accidents and crashes on our roads involve a motorcycle!

Despite forming only 1% of road traffic in the UK, motorcyclists account for 18% (almost one in five) of road deaths and serious injuries. In 2005, 569 motorcyclists were killed on the road, 5,939 were seriously injured and just over 18,000 were slightly injured (NB: I'm looking for 2006 figures if anyone can help.)

I say accidents, a large percentage of the motorcycle accidents and fatalities, involve no other vehicle and are, plain and simple, down to rider error - crashes not accidents really! Rider error - simple things such as failure to judge the severity of a corner, not planning far enough ahead, not spotting potential dangers and adjusting riding style to suit conditions.
Old 06 June 2007, 02:08 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Just a pointer.
I appreciate the on going discussion and in no way want to stop it, thanks for the thoughts all the same.

Kevin, the one who died first was pulled out on by a Lexus 4x4, as he joined the motorway, being followed by a friend.

Sadly the way in which he was hit, flung his body in the air, catching his head in the roof bars, instantly decapitating him. He stood no chance.

There is no word on the cause of John's death yet, other than dying a few hours after the accident due to his injuries. Given the road layout and surroundings I can only assume a car pulling out also.

Kevins case highlights the vunerability of being on a motorcycle. Had he had the same accident the outcome would more than likely have been panel damage, and little else more.

The arguement for motorcycles is very 2 sided.
SOME bikers take more risks raising the chances of a fatality
SOME car drivers are ignorant to the speed and mobility of bikes
SOME deaths could be prevented if the bike was replaced with a car.

The arguement could go on forever, but statistics paint an ugly picture.
Reality, I think I have lost almost as many friends to car accidents and being pedestrians as I have to motorcycle accidents.

On the otherside, when was the last time you heard of someone trapped in a burning motorcycle?
Old 06 June 2007, 02:09 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Would prefer they put them away full stop, but appreciate the passion involved and fully understand why too.
Old 06 June 2007, 02:12 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Terrible to read and the thought is quite sickening. As I said you cant control what other cars or trucks will do and the fact is you're pretty much the most vulnerable vehicle on the roads. I only have one mate who has a bike and I genuinely fear for him due to knowing what he's like and the way people drive day to day. I've seen it so many times where a car changes lane and side swipes a bike.
Old 06 June 2007, 02:18 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Terrible to read and the thought is quite sickening. As I said you cant control what other cars or trucks will do and the fact is you're pretty much the most vulnerable vehicle on the roads. I only have one mate who has a bike and I genuinely fear for him due to knowing what he's like and the way people drive day to day. I've seen it so many times where a car changes lane and side swipes a bike.

I cant imagine how Kevin's friend who was following felt to discover the headless body of his friend. The thought sends a chill down my spine.
Hard to picture Kev headless.
The nearest I have seen was the broken and folded body on Chelsea Bridge.

I can actually recall the words I used on the 999 call when I was asked if he was breathing or moving... "he's dead, he's dead, he is just broken in two"
Old 06 June 2007, 02:23 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'm sure there's some equally horrific stories from car accidents but the fact remains on a bike your chances of an accident per vehicle and of it being of a serious nature are far higher.
Old 06 June 2007, 02:30 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I'm sure there's some equally horrific stories from car accidents but the fact remains on a bike your chances of an accident per vehicle and of it being of a serious nature are far higher.
Yeah totally mate, there are some horrific pictures out there resulting from car accidents, anything and everything you do in your daily life including waking up runs a risk of a bad outcome.

Just some causes get highlighted more than others.
Old 06 June 2007, 02:31 PM
gixer6
Scooby Regular

As a full time biker I'd have to agree with you STi . Which is what prompted me to take the IAM advanced bike training / test and also wear hi viz clothing.

My riding is totally different to the way it used to be and the lessons learned have probably saved me on 3 occasions from potentially "nasty" incidents.

I would highly recommend some form of advanced training to any fellow biker, you know it makes sense
Old 06 June 2007, 03:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Not the time nor place to get into it as it is somebody elses thread about their loss.
I think this is a reasonable view even if it is a bit rude. I have been a biker for a good many years and can support the view that you are exposed on a bike and have consequently learned the hard way to ride defensively.

I am sorry for the blokes who died, my condolences to the original poster.

Les

Quick Reply: Just had some bad news :(