Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New puppy help

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2007, 11:39 AM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New puppy help

We've taken the plunge and bought a 10 week old Labradoodle puppy last Saturday.

Trouble is, he wakes up several times in the night crying, barking and wailing.

I thought we were supposed to ignore him? Last night he wet the floor and left a poo too.

He's great during the day and always goes outside for his business.

What should we do?

Thanks, Kevin.
Old 05 June 2007, 11:48 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Kevin - Separation anxiety.

Leave him in the day for periods of time and lengthen it and don't go and see him.

Also don't overfuss when leaving him or going back to him or he'll associate it with being separated.

What sort of room is he in? It's unusual for dogs to mess their own sleeping area unless desperate.

We were very lucky - Ours (black lab) squeaked at 5.30am the morning after we got her but that's been it (now 10 months old).
Old 05 June 2007, 11:50 AM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

Hi mate we had the same problem when our dog was a pup if you make sure he goes out just before you go to bed for at least 10 mins even if you have to shut the door on him and make sure he carnt see you or he will just howl at the door till you let him in then while he’s out part fill a hot water bottle with worm water not hot don’t put to much in it because if he rips it up that’s water all over the place wrap it in a blanket and put it in his bed along with an old alarm clock one that you have to wined up and ticks and put that in his bed to as it sounds like his mums hart and the bottle will be like her body heat and should help him sleep
That worked for us
Old 05 June 2007, 11:56 AM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

We have his bed in the dining room and he can go into the Kitchen for a drink. He messed away from his bed but then trod in it and made it worse. We've steam cleaned the whole area so he doesn't think it's ok to go there.

As he's never been in a crate, I'm not sure introducing one would be a good idea. Would it be ok do you think?

Sounds like you were very lucky. We've never had a dog before so we're having to adjust to him too.

Cheers, Kevin.
Old 05 June 2007, 11:58 AM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the clock/hot water bottle tip. Sounds good.
Old 05 June 2007, 12:02 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Greeley
We have his bed in the dining room and he can go into the Kitchen for a drink. He messed away from his bed but then trod in it and made it worse. We've steam cleaned the whole area so he doesn't think it's ok to go there.

As he's never been in a crate, I'm not sure introducing one would be a good idea. Would it be ok do you think?

Sounds like you were very lucky. We've never had a dog before so we're having to adjust to him too.

Cheers, Kevin.
Puppy crate definitely, they are a good thing for dog and owner. A retreat for him/her and a house saver for you. I would never have another puppy lose at night before they know the routine for 1s and 2s. It is not a means of punishment and should never be used as such, our dog used to go in it to sleep during the day with the door open.
Old 05 June 2007, 12:21 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

If pup cries in the night, go down stairs, lead on, out to his toliet area - no fussing etc. Give him 2 mins to perform, if nothing take him back in to his bedding area.

You may have a few sleepless nights but they soon learn that crying just gets them outside for a loo break and does not get them any fuss or praise. If they do go to the loo, then do give them some praise. Make sure they get regular loo breaks in the first few weeks, after food, after playtime, every couple of hours. If you can catch them before they make a mess and get them outside it makes the house training easier, every mess in the house makes it a little harder.

Try and get hold of "The Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey. It's an excellent book covering these kinds of issues and also covers the pros and cons of crating. In the end we didn't bother and our pup was house trained in a week (9 weeks old).
Old 05 June 2007, 12:23 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

how about some photos of your little bundle of fun
Old 05 June 2007, 12:30 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay?

I hear they go for up to £1300 now?
Old 05 June 2007, 01:30 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Try and get hold of "The Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey. It's an excellent book covering these kinds of issues and also covers the pros and cons of crating. In the end we didn't bother and our pup was house trained in a week (9 weeks old).
We got that too - Very good book and we now have a superbly well trained pup.
Old 05 June 2007, 01:39 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Mmm I never did any of these guys suggestions. When I got my akita pup, I tried leaving him in the kitchen but he was sobbing like a devil. I felt so sorry for him that I brought him upstairs with me, as I knew he missed his mum.

Anyway, did this for a while, and he soon quitened down, and eventually moved to the landing which is his bed. This was 8 years ago, now he pretty much sleep anywhere he likes.

Yep, many people say this was wrong, and I can see their point, but hey, show me a chap that doesnt go all soft when you see a little bundle of fluffy, crying !!!

SBK
Old 05 June 2007, 01:47 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sbk1972
Mmm I never did any of these guys suggestions. When I got my akita pup, I tried leaving him in the kitchen but he was sobbing like a devil. I felt so sorry for him that I brought him upstairs with me, as I knew he missed his mum.

Anyway, did this for a while, and he soon quitened down, and eventually moved to the landing which is his bed. This was 8 years ago, now he pretty much sleep anywhere he likes.

Yep, many people say this was wrong, and I can see their point, but hey, show me a chap that doesnt go all soft when you see a little bundle of fluffy, crying !!!

SBK

I did the same mate with my tazzy iv had him nearly 8 years now from being 7 weeks old but unfortunately in the last 12 months I have become allergic to him so he now sleeps in one of the other bedroom and this is by his choice strangely enough
Old 05 June 2007, 01:58 PM
New_scooby_04

Leaving something that smells of you with the dog (e.g. a well worn item of clothing*) can do wonders!

Ns04

*No, not your best Ben Sherman shirt!!
Old 05 June 2007, 04:39 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

I've tried to upload a few pictures here: Flickr: Photos from kg11

Thanks everyone, Kevin.
Old 05 June 2007, 04:48 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

hes a lovely dog mate i bet you carnt bring your self to tell him off sometimes
Old 05 June 2007, 04:51 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Crate him - took our labrador three nights to not cry or crap himself for six hours - which is pretty much the maximum for 8-10weeks.
Old 07 June 2007, 10:24 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

We are really having a bad time - we coaxed him into his crate and shut the door, but he just wouldn't stop barking.

I took him outside and he performed and was silent. Then I coaxed him back in his crate and it's back to the barking.

I just don't know what to do - the barking is just too much.

Please help anybody!

Thanks, Kevin.