Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Brock Lesnar's MMA debut

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2007, 01:45 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brock Lesnar's MMA debut

Anyone know if this went ahead last night, and if so how it went?
Old 03 June 2007, 02:28 PM
richiewong
Twatful

He won in just over a minute.
Old 03 June 2007, 10:16 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Any links with the result or vids up yet?
Old 03 June 2007, 10:22 PM
richiewong
Twatful

YouTube - MMA - Brock Lesnar vs Min Soo Kim (K-1 Dynamite USA)
Old 04 June 2007, 09:33 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Old 05 June 2007, 09:38 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

It was a dissapointing debut, but through no fault of his own, it's just that Min Soo was confirmed 5 days before the fight and isnt much of a fighter anyway, so it was never going to be a true battle.

The encouraging thing is that Brock fought. He didnt freeze up or seem over anxious about it all. Not sure if you saw the TUF2 or 3??? where Matt Hughes was coach and had a protege' that everyone thought would be amazing cause he trained like a demon. Soon as he got into a real fight he turned into a complete wimp, couldnt do anything when the prospect of a real fight was in front of him. Can happen to anyone, some people have a fighting mentallity, others can train to be a fighter but never perform when it comes to the real thing.

Brock stepped into the ring with a large crowd in attendence and gave a good showing of himself, seemed very amped to fight and didnt show any nerves or worry about fighting for real, and this to me covered off one area of major importance. The training, fitness, and skill is there already so now he has proved he can be a fighter hopefully it'll be all progress from here.

Only question mark is how will he take a punch or kick, we didnt get to see that during this fight.

Hopefully Dana White picks him up, but Id guess he'll do two more fights with smaller orgs and then get signed if he proves his worth.

Last edited by SideShowBob; 05 June 2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05 June 2007, 09:48 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
It was a dissapointing debut, but through no fault of his own, it's just that Min Soo was confirmed 5 days before the fight and isnt much of a fighter anyway, so it was never going to be a true battle.

The encouraging thing is that Brock fought. He didnt freeze up or seem over anxious about it all. Not sure if you saw the TUF2 or 3??? where Matt Hughes was coach and had a protege' that everyone thought would be amazing cause he trained like a demon. Soon as he got into a real fight he turned into a complete wimp, couldnt do anything when the prospect of a real fight was in front of him. Can happen to anyone, some people have a fighting mentallity, others can train to be a fighter but never perform when it comes to the real thing.

Brock stepped into the ring with a large crowd in attendence and gave a good showing of himself, seemed very amped to fight and didnt show any nerves or worry about fighting for real, and this to me covered off one area of major importance. The training, fitness, and skill is there already so now he has proved he can be a fighter hopefully it'll be all progress from here.

Only question mark is how will he take a punch or kick, we didnt get to see that during this fight.

Hopefully Dana White picks him up, but Id guess he'll do two more fights with smaller orgs and then get signed if he proves his worth.
Yeah I remember Mike Whitehead disappointing everyone with him failing to capitalise on the potential he showed in training.

As for Brock, he's performed in front of tens of thousands screaming fans in WWE as well as his amatuer wrestling days not to mention his brief stint in the NFL so it was unlikely he'd get stage fright, and he is from a comabtive background too so its really just a question of how well he can adapt his skills in terms of striking and submissions. No doubt his wrestling is up there with the best in the world. I am also very interested to see how he can "take a punch".

Next few fights should be interesting.
Old 05 June 2007, 11:49 AM
lem6
Scooby Regular

hopefully will see him in ufc in a few years, gettin ktfo by andrei arlovski.
Old 05 June 2007, 02:15 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

The only way Arlovski in his current form would beat Lesnar is if he sent him off to sleep with the pace of the fight.

I was a fan of Arlovski's until he turned into the useless fighter he currently is, seems like losing to big Tim put a damper on him that he cant shake.

Now he controls the fight friom a safe distance and doesnt take any risks, one of the most boring heavyweights in the UFC IMO, and he used to be one of the most explosive. Since losing twice to Tim Silva he's fought fighters that suit his safe and slow style, but Lesnar would bring the fight to Arlovski, and Arlovski would struggle to control the fight as a result.

I recon Lesnar would stand and trade a bit, then go for the takedown, which he may well succeed doing as he's very quick, then he give Arlovski a pounding.

It sucks about Arlovski, the guy just lost it, unless he grows some ***** I recon he should retire instead of ruining his legacy.
Old 05 June 2007, 02:19 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

true,arlovski needs to get back to being the dude that everyone feared!..what about lesnar v bob Sapp??
Old 05 June 2007, 03:01 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Im tempted to put Lesnar on a level above Bob Sapp. Sapp is someone who uses his size alone to make a name for himself, and it works in Japan, but in fights against talented fighters he is no good at all.

Lesnar on the other hand is putting in the hard work, starting at the bottom, learning the skills, and isnt the sort of monster sized person Sapp is. Lesnar weighed in at 262 pounds before the fight, so is a good sized heavyweight but by no means one of these monster freaks.

Sapp can often win by running over his opponent then hammer fisting on his head, but any fighter with good feet that can avoid his charge will be in a good position, the guy needs a lie down after about 30 seconds of round one.

All credit to Sapp for the name he's built for himself, but I think it'd be insulting to Lesnar to put them against eachother, as it becomes more an exhibition than a fight, and as far as reports go lesnar is taking this a a lot more seriously and would want some talented opponents.

Sapp and his stupid laugh and rediculous persona is closer to WWE than MMA, I just cant take the guy seriously, and he's never bothered to develope any skills, just relies on his size. Hopefully Lesnar goes to the UFC as opposed to these K-1 events with superheavyweights, as he's made the weight and deserves to be in an organisation that can offer him suitable opposition.
Old 05 June 2007, 04:08 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

The name Sapp should not be used in the same sentence as a real mixed martial artist.

In martial arts/combat terms, Sapp is about as talented as Lesnar's big toe and as Bob said above, he relies soley on landing a crushing big blow, after all the guy is about 350lbs/25 stone of muscle and a square punch from him will put lots of guys to sleep.

I reckon a good welterweight/middleweight in UFC could give Sapp LOTS of trouble. After about 20-30 seconds of frantically seeking the big blow, his gas tanks would empty, then once he'd tired he'd be picked off easily.
I recall Remy Bonjasky who weighed about 130lbs less than Sapp, was picking him off at will, and only succumbed when Sapp eventually landed a big blow whilst Remy was on the mat, causing Sapp to be DQ'd. If the bout had went on Sapp would have been embarrassed by the skills of Bonjasky IMO.

I'd love to see Sapp in UFC, merely to ridicule his lack of any combative skills
Old 05 June 2007, 04:16 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

On a much much smaller scale (!) I fought in a national KBing comp and somehow ended up fighting a guy a good 2.5 stone heavier than me.
I was pretty nervous as he landed a few serious blows to my head but soon knackered himself out and was easy to take to bits.

He was absolutely mortified - LOL!