Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Just had a flying lesson

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2007, 11:07 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had a flying lesson

Had my first go at flying in a Cessna 182 (IIRC) which seemed to be a winged Morris Marina. Really enjoyed it, especially as we were behind a DC3 that was flying off to France to do a commemerative show. Apparently it's been fully restored but they left all the bullet holes, including one through the pilots seat

Didn't enjoy "holding" over the south bank of the Mersey for 15 minutes though waiting for about a gabillion Easyjet flights to land in amongst a gazillion Ryanair flights taking off. Got a bit dizzy.

I reckon I could fly a Spitfire now, then on to the Vulcan
Old 02 June 2007, 11:10 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

How much did it cost if you dont mind me asking ??
Old 03 June 2007, 10:47 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a pleasure flight over North Wales recently in a Cessna, kind of got me wanting to do my PPL.
Old 03 June 2007, 11:11 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I learn on a Diamond DA40, 4 seater, full glass cockpit and full leather. Feels like an expensive sports car inside

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7382/77146096ig2.jpg
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1858/10br7.jpg
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/7700/121dn6.jpg
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8412/13bz7.jpg
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7453/14wa0.jpg
Old 03 June 2007, 12:11 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Now that's a nice plane, Kiwi.

I'd definately like to go for PPL, can't do CPL due to colour-blindness which is crap considering I can easily differentiate between the signal lamps.

The cost was £130-ish including paying for MrsREV to come along as a passenger. It was supposed to be a half hour sampler, but due to Liverpool Airport being busy and the taxiway closed for maintenance forcing them to backtrack aircraft back up the runway we got an hour in the air.

The landing seemed very difficult (hot day, lots of thermals and a sidewind off the Mersey estuary) and had me questioning whether I'd like to be in control of the plane at that point. I'm glad the instructor didn't have a heart attack forcing me to have to learn quickly
Old 03 June 2007, 12:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Looks like you enjoyed it NotRev. I have to say I do miss it now, but can't afford it on a pension

You will find some of the exercises a bit demanding initially until you get used to controlling something in three dimension and also develop the "seat of the pants" bit. I had to work at it when I was learning. The landings can be difficult under turbulent and windy conditions, but you should soon learn how to let the 'plane ride it all and just put in a control input when it needs it.

Let me know when you are ready for the Vulcan, I can give you the full conversion including the instrument rating, if you pay for the fuel! When you find a twin seater Spitfire, I can check you out on that too.

Les
Old 03 June 2007, 12:36 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Picture of the DC3 we were following:

Old 03 June 2007, 12:37 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Leslie, you're on!
Old 03 June 2007, 12:47 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Now that's a nice plane, Kiwi.
Not expensive either, it's worth finding a club that offers training in them as they aren't that much more expensive, even cheaper than Cessnas in some cases.

Flying Time Airbase: Prices

A lot of places now use them as their standard trainer, and many others are replacing their cockpits with the Garmin GA1000 anyway so it's beneficial to learn on them.
Old 03 June 2007, 12:59 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
How much did it cost if you dont mind me asking ??
Asking that is hardly likely to cause offence, is it? Asking to see pictures of his sister naked, on the other hand.....
Old 03 June 2007, 01:06 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon 69
Asking that is hardly likely to cause offence, is it? Asking to see pictures of his sister naked, on the other hand.....
Neither would offend me. However, pictures of my sister naked are likely to offend most
Old 03 June 2007, 01:10 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Talking of your Cessna being like a winged Morris Marina, when I did my parachute jump a few years ago, it was my first ever time on a plane, and I likened it to an old beat up ford transit van with wings

no seats, we all had to sit inbetween each others legs (oo-er) and the door was open too

Our pilot was a former russian Mig fighter pilot who got discharged from the russian army for getting a Mig into a flat spin (a la Top Gun) and ejecting causing the Mig to be destroyed !!
Old 03 June 2007, 01:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Leslie, you're on!
I'll have to see if I can get you Bruntingthorpe's phone number then

I hope your sister never sees this forum for your sake

Les
Old 03 June 2007, 07:50 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you had fun Rev, I'm learning to fly myself but I can buy my own light aircraft for what you could get a PPL for....

Some might say strapping a lawnmower engine to your **** is decidedly dangerous but it certainly is seat of the pants flying
Old 03 June 2007, 08:14 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Had a dab in some Cessnas and Beechcrafts over the years, although I enjoyed it, it never thrilled me - no sense of speed.

Now if were a Mustang, or Spitfire or something that would let me pull some decent G without breaking off the wings, then maybe I'd get a licence - never going to happen though, is it

Microlights look liek a hoot though, so maybe that might be the next avenue....
Old 03 June 2007, 09:48 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Had a dab in some Cessnas and Beechcrafts over the years, although I enjoyed it, it never thrilled me - no sense of speed.

Now if were a Mustang, or Spitfire or something that would let me pull some decent G without breaking off the wings, then maybe I'd get a licence - never going to happen though, is it

Problem with aeroplanes is you only get a sense of speed when you're close to the ground or approaching another one almost head on.

Other main problem with aeroplanes is they always site regional airports in erm... unique locations as regards winds/thermals etc. I had my L plate session down in Swansea airport on the Gower. Didn't take it any further as I relocated and they changed the qualification rules that year.

J.
Old 03 June 2007, 09:52 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

I changed over from a C172 Skyhawk in to a DA40 to complete my Commercial. . Nice plane by all means, but a little tricky changing over from a Cessna . . .Glass cockpit requires some training though!

. . . But what a lovely plane . .
Old 03 June 2007, 10:26 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
I changed over from a C172 Skyhawk in to a DA40 to complete my Commercial. . Nice plane by all means, but a little tricky changing over from a Cessna . . .Glass cockpit requires some training though!

. . . But what a lovely plane . .
I was a bit seduced by the newness of it, but I must admit I find the cockpit cramped and it's like an oven in there on a hot day until you get airbourne. Ideally I'd like a C172SP with the glass cockpit.

Not so bad for me as I'm only learning a PPL and you really only look at the instruments, can imagine if you trained on the analogue instruments for an IR it would be a massive learning curve to learn how to use it all confidently when you are flying.
Old 03 June 2007, 11:05 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Once you have your PPL, how many hours a year do you need to log to keep it?

John.
Old 03 June 2007, 11:24 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

12 hours in the 12 months preceding the expiry date, to include 6 hours and pilot in command, 1 hour with an instructor and 12 take-offs and landings.
Old 04 June 2007, 03:33 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
I was a bit seduced by the newness of it, but I must admit I find the cockpit cramped and it's like an oven in there on a hot day until you get airbourne. Ideally I'd like a C172SP with the glass cockpit.

Not so bad for me as I'm only learning a PPL and you really only look at the instruments, can imagine if you trained on the analogue instruments for an IR it would be a massive learning curve to learn how to use it all confidently when you are flying.
Well put Kiwi . .The newness of it does seduce, and everything about if just feels quality . .But I feel it is also trickier to aviate than an SP . .Especially as I was flying near 50 Hour under tha hood for my recently acquired instrument rating . . .

. . .As the saying goes, it a great plane to fly, but now a great trainer . . .And another good point you raised . . When you switch to G100o from analogue instruments, you will have a tendence to stop the scan and simply focuss on the glass cockpit . . .

. . . . . .But no regrets . . This tis the kind of stuff I will be flying professionally so the the learning curve stay steep - especially as I am hearing my Commercial . . .

. .Also, what I find particularly awkward about the plane is there is no steering with the nose wheel . just the dif brakes . . .Makes it quite awkward . . .

Europe-American Aviation - Deutsche Flugschule für ATPL, PPL, IFR und CPL

Last edited by WRX300MAN; 04 June 2007 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04 June 2007, 12:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man

You could always try a Harvard, there are a few about. When I was doing my training in Canada we used to pull enough G to black ourselves out in them. It was not until I flew a T33 Silver Star with a G meter that I realised we were pulling over 7G!

It was "brick built" that aeroplane-the only way to break it was to crash it.

Les