Skiing clobber...

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2001, 11:37 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Gonna treat myself to a new jacket for skiing in Jan, plus a proper base layer

But so many choices - Mountain Hard Wear, Columbia, HH, North Face etc etc. 3 in 1 vs separate fleece (which I have already) and a wind/waterprrof shell etc etc. Wicking base layer or not, long sleeves or short etc etc

Any recommendations? Quite like the Mountain Hard Wear Exposure II Parka plus my current fleece, but don't know if I'm paying for the name or the technology
Old 21 December 2001, 11:40 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

I have a thickish Couilour (sp??) jacket, I was skiing last weekend it was -15 on the tops, I had a thermal wicking T-shirt, thermal wicking long sleeve top then sleeveless fleece body warmer and my body was never cold, the face was a different matter

Greg
Old 21 December 2001, 11:46 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Absolutely adored my Tenson, had it for 4 yrs, wore it for more than half that (worked in Mongolia and Moscow). Since got a Couloir also, chunky and does the job but I don't feel so attached to it for some reason.

BJH
Old 21 December 2001, 12:25 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

I went for a goretex jacket - but got a short one not a walking jacket - ie. it doesn't cover my bum. This allows better movement for skiing and also had an elasticated snow skirt which is essential if you're crap like me and fall over a lot - stops the snow going up under your jacket.

Use this with an existing fleece and a decent base layer and its fine. If it is particularly cold then just add more layers.

Mine's a North Face - it's excellent.

With a 3in1 the only benefit is that you can take it on and off as one unit, which is great when you just want to use it as a coat.
Old 22 December 2001, 12:16 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

Try & get a jacket with a good wired hood that moves with your head when you turn it. I`ve got a Mountain Equipment Karakorum 2, its designed as an ice climbing jacket & so I can lift my arms above my head & the jacket does`nt ride up. It`s ideal for Skiing & snowboarding as when you land in a heap the hem is`nt round your neck. Well worth a look for £200ish and they always get a good write up in the mags.