Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Like sending 'warning' email to people?

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2007, 08:21 AM
Infractfree
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Like sending 'warning' email to people?

I'm sick of receiving 'warning' emails that are actually chain letters for the gullible. It's easy to spot them but the simpler souls amongst us seem to think it's a great idea to 'warn' everyone about something which is obviously a hoax to those of us possessed of a modicum of thinking ability. Obviously this problem is worse for those of us in a corporate environment containing a larger proportion of the stupid (ie Americans)

So here's a couple of my urban myth favourites

Hotel Key Cards- oh no! your personal information is encoded on the magnetic strip and used by criminals for fraud. NO IT ISN'T MORON.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Hotel Key Card Identity Theft

Car Park flyer- you come back to your car, start it up, notice there is a flyer on the rear window. As you remove it the criminal absconds with your car!

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Carjacking

Whenever I get spammed by this type of garbage I send the originator a link to the urban myth page along with a suggestion they contact every other poor sod on their global list that they spammed with this crap. Obviously if I don't think they'll do this I do it for them.
Old 03 May 2007, 08:27 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

If you swallow grape seeds, they'll grow into your brain
Old 03 May 2007, 08:35 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

From November 2006 Oracle

Please note the following which has been brought to our attention. This has been highlighted in the local press and via the North Wales Police ecomms system, but I’ve included it here in case you missed it.

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number. DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize. If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £15 for the phone call. If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 02072396655 or ICTIS (the premium rate service regulator) at ICSTIS Homepage or your local trading standards office. This is a genuine scam. This service is under investigation by ICSTIS. Please be aware of this scam and forward this information to as many persons as possible.

On a separate issue, upon the evening of Thursday 28th September 2006 a motorist reported that a wire had been placed across the road on School Lane. This wire was approximately 4 feet off the floor and it is believed that it was deliberately placed to cause injury or damage. Thankfully this wire was seen and taken down before anyone was hurt. This is a serious matter. Common sense should show that, if for example a motorcyclist had hit this wire, the injuries could have been fatal. Enquiries are underway to identify the idiot(s) involved and I urge anyone with information to get in touch with me.

Thank you.
Darren King, Constable 1360.
Overton Community Beat Manager.
The Police Station, Station Road, Overton, Wrexham. LL13 0EF.
Telephone: 0845 607 1002.
E-mail: darren.king@north-wales.police.uk.

Old 03 May 2007, 10:29 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

The one about waking up in a bath full of ice with your kidneys missing is one of my personal favourites
Old 03 May 2007, 10:59 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Just having a browse of the UL site and came across a true one

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Beheaded Lover
Old 03 May 2007, 01:31 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

If you send me a £100 and your e-mail address then I'll add you to a list of people excluded from receiving this type of e-mail ever again