Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ipod FM transmitter question?

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2007, 03:21 PM
BUG4LIFE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod FM transmitter question?

Soz if this has been mentioned before - but time has moved on, so there may be new stuff out. My girlfriend has just bough a StreetKa and a new video Ipod. In time we will get a new headunit [made for Ipods etc], but for now I thought we could make do with one of the many FM transmitters on the market - which is the best guys?

I know this is a good one, but her StreetKa aint got a cup holder for it to sit in, so that's no good? Macally FMCUP FMCUPB from PC World Business
Old 02 May 2007, 03:37 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iTrip - The wife swears by it
Old 02 May 2007, 04:03 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've had an iTrip and they are pretty good, plus it means you can use it with any device that transmits FM, so it'll move easily from car to car, or the stereo in the house.

It's by no means perfect though, as you can get interference depending on the frequency being used.

Does the StreetKa's head unit support a CD changer? If so then it might be worth looking to see if you can get an aux-in adaptor/cable (have a look here). What this does is to allow you to plug one end of the cable into the cd changer socket on the head unit, and the other into the iPod's headphone socket. The head unit will "see" the ipod as though it's a cd changer and you control the music selection from the ipod itself.

You could also just replace the head unit with one that has an standard aux-in port and plug a cable in, or one that has specific connections for an iPod. Another alternative is the Denison IceLink (think that's the name) which will allow you to wire up the ipod and use the stereo controls to control it, which is especially handy if you have steering wheel mounted stereo controls.

I went from an iTrip to a cable from Blitzsafe which plugs into the unused cd changer port on the head unit, then plugged in an RAC-stereo to 3.5mm lead which I plug into the iPod when it's in the car. I then purchased a vent mount holder for a PDA, and that's where the iPod sits.
Old 02 May 2007, 04:12 PM
BUG4LIFE
Scooby Regular

A lot of people on the Apple site seem to be happy with the iTrip Apple Store - U.K. - Griffin iTrip Auto FM Transmitter - Black

The StreetKa takes a single CD as part of the headunit - would the aux-in adaptor/cable method still work with this?

Yeah ultimately we will get a new headunit, something built for an Ipod, like this; iDA-X001 Alpine, iPod Ready Unit iDA-X001
Old 02 May 2007, 05:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BUG4LIFE
The StreetKa takes a single CD as part of the headunit - would the aux-in adaptor/cable method still work with this?
It could do, you'd need to see if the unit would accept a CD changer. Our Accord has a single cd head unit and it supports a changer, so other single cd units might as well.

Have a look at this. It looks as thought it'd plug into the back of the head unit (if the model number matches one listed on that page) and the little box has left and right connectors, so you'd take an RCA-stereo to 3.5mm jack lead and plug the RCA connectors into the box, and the other end of the lead into the iPod.
Old 02 May 2007, 05:19 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

FM transmitters are a waste of money.

Audilover - Last thing I wasted my money on was a FM transmitter. Next day got the proper IPOD cable fitted!
Old 02 May 2007, 05:23 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

You can get dedicated iPOD conectors form many car steros which also charge the iPOD and allow some degree of control from the stereo or wheel controls.

Try here
Old 02 May 2007, 05:34 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
FM transmitters are a waste of money.
I agree with that statement. Down here, just north of london there are so many pirate and commercial stations that finding a frequency to use it on is impossible. The whole FM band from 87.5 to 108 has got something transmitting on it.
Old 02 May 2007, 06:49 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

considering how jammed up the frequencies are round our way, I had no problems with interference at all driving Herts to North Wales.
Old 02 May 2007, 11:24 PM
bluenose2007
Scooby Regular

I have a Griffin Itrip for a mini and it works great, hardly ever gets interference and the quality is top.

They do destroy the battery life though so you should probably get a car charger to.
Old 03 May 2007, 07:14 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Are you sure that the new motor doesnt have a 3mm jack plug socket, most new Fords do, have a look see.
Old 03 May 2007, 08:57 AM
BUG4LIFE
Scooby Regular

Not sure r32 - and how would I find that out [sorry for being thick]?!?!
Old 03 May 2007, 12:45 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I have used an iTrip for ages. Got the latest one with the digital display, and i can tune it to 87.7 and get good signal from Bracknell all the way into London on M4. Only when you get to the elevated section it gets interference from pirate channels. Doesnt work well in central London though due to the congestion on the FM band.

Dave
Old 03 May 2007, 12:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Have a look on the front of the head unit and see if it has any kind of sockets, it'll be a 3.5mm jack, so the same size as the jack as the one on the iPod for headphones. It'll probably be labled Aux/Aux In/Imput or something like that.

You could always take a picture of the head unit and post it up for us to have a look at