Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Who will you be voting for?
I am not voting.
18.18%
Labour
0%
Lib Dems
3.64%
Tories
43.64%
UKIP
14.55%
Other
12.73%
I WILL Vote - but not saying who
7.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Local Elections tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2007, 11:29 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local Elections tomorrow...

Tomorrow marks the last elections before the Tony Blair formally announces his resignation, and Mr Brown steps into his clown shoes...

Will you be voting? Who for, and why?....
Old 02 May 2007, 11:33 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I cant vote Lib Dem because they only rear their heads a few weeks before local elections with newsletters and the likes. Quiet all year when it comes to local issues, so locally are no good at all... Plus their party leader is a dinosaur.
I cant vote Labour, because despite them being ambassadors of the constituent at a local level, voting for them in any election is conding crappy centre politics, a party rife with liars and incompetence.
I cant vote Tory because as much as my thatcherite backgrounds wants to, the candidate lives 250 miles away.
So I have a choice (as I always vote)... BNP or Sociliast...
Old 02 May 2007, 11:40 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Tories, labour & lib dems - what's the difference?

Can't vote for any of the mainstream parties - they are all identical and desperate to add to the millions of laws from the EU by signing up for more They are all obessed with this man made global warming garbage as well again

Our local council leader has had the bright idea that only a select group of councillors should be involved in meetings and discussions... and he gets to choose who comes - I don't understand how this can be legal

The only choice is independant (Ratepayers) or UKIP UK Independence Party Official website (UKIP)

Mick
Old 02 May 2007, 11:45 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I never have voted for politics or any other blood sucking mites
Old 02 May 2007, 01:00 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Our ward only has a labour and tory candidate - and being in the military, having an impreza, being single with no children, never having claimed a days benifit in my life, have private medical cover, and being a member of the countryside alliance, and a whole raft of personal experiences of witnessing the mess the current Government has made of the Police, Customs, Immigration, the Prision Service, ect, ect ; the possibility of the labour candidate having got my vote is.....

(Postal Voter - So I actually voted last week)

Last edited by Prasius; 02 May 2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02 May 2007, 01:04 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Jamie*
I never have voted for politics or any other blood sucking mites
So you let other people shape you future?
Old 02 May 2007, 01:06 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of our labour candidates lives down my road.

Has he been round to canvass for my vote?
No.

Will he be getting my vote?
Yes, when Satan goes to work in a snowplough.
Old 02 May 2007, 01:19 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mick
Can't vote for any of the mainstream parties - they are all identical and desperate to add to the millions of laws from the EU by signing up for more They are all obessed with this man made global warming garbage as well again

Our local council leader has had the bright idea that only a select group of councillors should be involved in meetings and discussions... and he gets to choose who comes - I don't understand how this can be legal

Mick
He'd have to change the council's constitution to do that, I doubt he'd be able to do it without a full council vote, and probably public consultation.
There are different types of meetings though, some for full council, and 'Exec' meeting, for those with a 'portfolio' (they don't call it that though), eg Housing, Child Services etc. they're the people who are involved, and know something about that area. most councilors just shout whatever their local electorate want them to, which isn't always in the best interest of the city / public (NIMBYism for instance). Purely a personal view not professional view of course!

I'll be doing the night shift counting votes on Thursday, and probably won't actually get the chance to vote myself.
Old 02 May 2007, 01:19 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
So you let other people shape you future?

The chap i work with, nearly 40, never voted once in his life. Can't seem to put his finger on why not, just doesn't believe in the "institution" of voting for vast political parties, whether on a national or local level.
Old 02 May 2007, 01:20 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

conservative. the councillor's a local friend's dad and all-round sound bloke. very few labour voters around here [rural leics] and only one labour councillor in office who'll prolly get the bum's rush. lib-dems will likely take a kicking as they pushed through two-weekly rubbish collections two years ago and that's a really sore local point.

be interesting to see what the turnout % is ...
Old 02 May 2007, 01:26 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

SNP

**** the lot of you, it's our oil

PS It's none of your business who I vote for
Old 02 May 2007, 01:30 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

as they pushed through two-weekly rubbish collections two years ago and that's a really sore local point.
Can anyone explain why Scotland has no problem with this arrangement at all, yet alot of England seems to be up in arms about this. All you have to do is recycle more. We've had two weekly collections for the last 2 years now and we have never had a problem?? Red box for bottles and tins and a blue box for paper and certain plastics. The rest goes in the bin that gets collected once every two weeks. What is so difficult about that ???

PS Genuine question and not taking the **** out of you Southern softies
Old 02 May 2007, 01:32 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

I am not voting, but this is not out of choice.

A badly timed house move resulted in not getting a voting card (not even at my old address).

In normal circumstances I always vote.
Old 02 May 2007, 01:37 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

SiPie - what happens in summer when you have black bags of stinking rubbish laying around for an extra week? Or doesn't it get warm enough up there to have to worry about that?
Old 02 May 2007, 01:41 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

SiPie - what happens in summer when you have black bags of stinking rubbish laying around for an extra week?
Aaaaah....that may explain it. Every house gets one SULO bin (like the small green one on the left of this pic)

Sulo MGB Australia. Bins, Plastic injection and Waste Management

and that's where your black bags go. The rest is recycled. One of these bins is sufficient to take any families waste as long as they recycle what they should.
Old 02 May 2007, 01:43 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Sounds reasonable if foxes can't get in and smells can't get out

Holy Ghost, you don't have an arrangement like that?
Old 02 May 2007, 01:46 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by SiPie
Can anyone explain why Scotland has no problem with this arrangement at all, yet alot of England seems to be up in arms about this. All you have to do is recycle more. We've had two weekly collections for the last 2 years now and we have never had a problem?? Red box for bottles and tins and a blue box for paper and certain plastics. The rest goes in the bin that gets collected once every two weeks. What is so difficult about that ???

we get the two recycling boxes too and i'm happy to recycle as much as the council give me facilties to do so. no real problem in winter. but look out of the window. it's sunny and hot and will be till the end of september. vermin, specifically rats (gnaw their way into wheelie bins, or try too and they're back in numbers) and foxes. not everyone has a sink waste disposal unit or compost heap for the rottable stuff and come july, boy do those bins hum. i suppose sprinking quick lime in the bottom of the wheelie bin would help but you can be sure the bin men would be up in arms - understandably probably.

a decent half-way house would be switch back to weekly collections in the hot months, if only for reasons of public hygiene.

the other point is that while council tax goes up, the existing waste disposal service is cut for reasons of economy in order to support the council pension pot (which council's will flatly deny in public). put the two together and people get seriously narked.

hope that helps - a southern softie perspective.

Last edited by Holy Ghost; 02 May 2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02 May 2007, 01:55 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

I'll be voting, but it won't be for any red-coloured candidates. Not sure who'll get my vote yet as no-one has actually campaigned where I live. No leaflets, no posters, no canvassers. So until I get to the polling booth I'll not know who's standing.
Old 02 May 2007, 01:56 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

hope that helps - a southern softie perspective.

We get private companies that come round and power wash the wheelie bins. Suppose that helps a bit, but I don't personally get them cleaned. Just make sure that you tie the rubbish bags tightly when you put them into the wheelie bins. Can honestly say that at the end of the two weeks we have yet to have our bin overflowing (although admittedly some of our neighbours who are lazy with their recyling tend to have bins with open lids by week 2)

However, never had a problem with rats gnawing their way through the wheelie bins

Your Southern Softie rats but be much harder than our haggis munching ginger haired IRN BRU drinking ones.......

Old 02 May 2007, 01:57 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Plus the scots live off deep fried takeaway food eaten on the way home. The rubbish thus dumped either on the floor or in a public bin...
As a result the only thing in their bins are cigarette butts Even the cans of Tennants go in a different bin
Old 02 May 2007, 02:04 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

All that has to happen is that manufacturers should REDUCE the amount of packing on goods so WE wouldn't have to pay so much to have it removed.
Totally agree
Old 02 May 2007, 02:05 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Wierd,

Our old place (West Dunbartonshire) has weekly collections

Our new place - Highlands has weekly collections.

Only parts of Scotland are every two weeks and I'd be dead against it.
Old 02 May 2007, 02:06 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Wrong answer! All that has to happen is that manufacturers should REDUCE the amount of packing on goods so WE wouldn't have to pay so much to have it removed.

Dave

Totally agree with that. But the war on packaging is now the latest en-vogue mission in the Great Green Assault. Many companies now have specific task forces looking at this. And not before time.
Old 02 May 2007, 02:06 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

[Plus the scots live off deep fried takeaway food eaten on the way home. The rubbish thus dumped either on the floor or in a public bin...
But hey Abdabz..........

If we are doing the stereotype thingy then you Engerlander guys all eat at Curry Houses every night of the week anyway so no domestic waste at all
Old 02 May 2007, 02:08 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Only parts of Scotland are every two weeks and I'd be dead against it.
Midlothian is all I know for certain Diablo, but know that they are a relatively active council in the old waste management/recycling side of things. Well impressed by the recycling facilities at all our local dumping facilities

Genuinely causes no problems at all
Old 02 May 2007, 02:08 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

But hey Abdabz..........

If we are doing the stereotype thingy then you Engerlander guys all eat at Curry Houses every night of the week anyway so no domestic waste at all
Yes. Your point is?
Old 02 May 2007, 02:09 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But hey Abdabz..........

You never heard of a doggy bag?
Old 02 May 2007, 02:10 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Yes. Your point is?
PMSL

Quick Reply: Local Elections tomorrow...