Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice Needed On Jogging!

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2007, 10:02 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed On Jogging!

Just started out jogging and love it! Only done 1 week so far but I think I may have over done it. My instep on my left foot is killing me. I'm not sure what I should do! I think I may have got it a little wrong!!!!

I've rested up for 2 days but itching to get going again! Not really been going long distance, 1 mile at the most which is a combo of walking and jogging as my fitness level is rubbish! Any sensible advice from proper joggers would be brilliant.
I do have decent running shoes with the instep bit (as I have high arches) but still hurting!

Wondering if I should maybe jog a day then rest a day instead of jogging everyday?!

As I said before, I have only just started out and am a complete novice so would appreciate any advice anyone can give!
Old 01 May 2007, 10:25 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

You should definately build up slowly - everyday is a bit too frequent, every other day at most.

Where did you get the shoes from ? Ideally you need to be going to a proper running shop that will analyse the way you run & try you in several pairs before you buy.

Rest any injury properly or you'll just prolong it.
Old 01 May 2007, 10:38 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I do my jogging on my mini trampoline whilst watching my favourite programme on tv
I get shin splints if I jog outside

Take care and build up your distance slowly
Old 02 May 2007, 09:05 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Ive lately got into jogging. Takes ages to build up this type of fitness, but days to loose it. I tend to run sun/mon/wed/fri, for about 30 mins a time. Try to do it every other day as it gives your body time to `heal / refresh`.

Trainers make a world of difference. Strangely enough, my nike trainer boots are the most comfortable, but I tend to use some nike air things.

Try not to eat / drink an hour before it though, as this just bouncies around in your tummy, causing stitch.

Ive noticed my fitness has really improved, at the begining my jogging ressembled more of a stagger, but now my strides are longer, legs more powerful, so take things slow, or you will soon give it up due to hate / pain towards it.

I run at night, as the biggest killer when jogging is your mind. In the day, I can see the end of the road and my mind plays games by focusing on the end of the road, telling me its miles away and to stop. I run dusk time as it makes you feel faster and you cant focus on the end of the road.

Also, try to take your mind of the jog itself, think about your day, or other things and you soon start getting in to a routine.

Im jogging as Im on a `cut`, so I tend to jog 30 mins a session every other day, but I do 30 mins cross trainer @ 5am every week day.

This type of fitness really helps when you **** ! :-) I tell you, I could **** for England now !

One thing though, running on a treadmill isnt the same as road running, hence why if you do use a treadmill, you need to put it on an incline.

SBK

Last edited by sbk1972; 02 May 2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02 May 2007, 09:29 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I built up from the same fitness level as you, doing one mile to start off with for a while and just worked on improving my times.

Then I built up to two and now do 3 mile runs in well under half an hour and am entering some charidee 5k fun runs, my first one in June .

I cant run more than twice a week because I suffer from shin splint problems, but regardless of what excercise it is, it is always wise to rest the affected parts of the body for a day afterwards...

So I cycle 20+ miles on a Sunday, run 3 on a Tuesday, and either cycle 10+ or use stepper for half an hour on a Friday... Nice
Old 02 May 2007, 10:02 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lisa - Up and running for your shoes. They will check your style on the treadmill to see if you overpronate, underpronate or have a neutral style and recommend shoes based on your style.

As Abdabz says, start at a speed and distance you are comfortable but just straining to do and slowly build up your fitness. Make sure you rest and recover properly or you will do damage, especially if you are road running. I limit myself to one road run a week as it really messes with my ankles.

After about 6 months I was able to crank out 10km in an hour, gradually building the distance up from 1-2 miles. I then alternated between increasing speed and inceasing distance, mixing this up with off-road biking.

At the moment I'm combing 10-13 mile off-road runs, 20+ mile off-road biking with indoor triathlon (row 5km, bike 20km, run 5km). Next race is a 48 hour run-bike-canoe starting on Friday 11th

Best of luck!!

PS. If you are suffering from blisters then use Compeed (available in boots), it's the best thing since sliced bread!
Old 02 May 2007, 11:26 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Lisa - Up and running for your shoes. They will check your style on the treadmill to see if you overpronate, underpronate or have a neutral style and recommend shoes based on your style.

As Abdabz says, start at a speed and distance you are comfortable but just straining to do and slowly build up your fitness. Make sure you rest and recover properly or you will do damage, especially if you are road running. I limit myself to one road run a week as it really messes with my ankles.

After about 6 months I was able to crank out 10km in an hour, gradually building the distance up from 1-2 miles. I then alternated between increasing speed and inceasing distance, mixing this up with off-road biking.

At the moment I'm combing 10-13 mile off-road runs, 20+ mile off-road biking with indoor triathlon (row 5km, bike 20km, run 5km). Next race is a 48 hour run-bike-canoe starting on Friday 11th

Best of luck!!

PS. If you are suffering from blisters then use Compeed (available in boots), it's the best thing since sliced bread!
You are an absolute star. It's nottingham and everything! Lol

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Really appreciate it xxx
Old 02 May 2007, 11:30 AM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

ive been lurking on the runners world forums recently...have a look there yourselves, theres alot of good gen and the members are helpful...

of particular interest to me was the '180 principle'...sounds good in theory...im going to give it a try tonight...

Runner's World UK

and there doesnt appear to be any trolls...
Old 02 May 2007, 11:36 AM
Craigieloon
Scooby Regular

im not a pro runner but i run to keep my fitness levels up for football. Cos im a midfield player stamina is the most important part of my game... im not the quickest player in the world but if i can maintain a high level of fitness throughout the game i will have that edge over the other players...

I use a heart monitor linked to a watch so when im out running this wee machine keeps me in check and gets the best out of me. i can then download the results to the POLAR website for comparison and see wher and how i need to improve. Cost me about £100 but its worth every penny....
Old 02 May 2007, 12:25 PM
Infractfree
BANNED

If you are very heavy then running probably isn't the best way to start getting fit as you will be causing massive impact damage on your joints which might explain the pain.

Walking (out of your comfort zone) is just as good for you and is much lower impact. Maybe try swimming as well.

Obviously you should be resting as well and the footwear advice is worth listening to although don't expect the right shoes to be a panacea.

I do upwards of 5 miles jogging every other day and never experience any pain at all. I also never run on concrete which I found DID cause me joint ache.
Old 02 May 2007, 07:08 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

I went and got myself some running shoes today and I can't believe the difference already! Amazing!!!! Also got me some comfortable clothes to run in and Bobs ya uncle....... lovely jog!!! Not an ache anywhere. I wish I'd done this in the first place! BTW, I'm not THAT heavy, just heavier than I used to be!!!!
Old 02 May 2007, 07:30 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I can send you a full fitness programme that we give out to people intrested in joining the Army, it has everything from what to eat to avoiding injuries and also has a full 12 week trg programme to get you fit,

If anyone wants one just Pm me your adress and i will send you one out free of charge!!!!!!!!!!

No need to sign up.

Mac
Old 02 May 2007, 07:34 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Craigieloon
im not a pro runner but i run to keep my fitness levels up for football. Cos im a midfield player stamina is the most important part of my game... im not the quickest player in the world but if i can maintain a high level of fitness throughout the game i will have that edge over the other players...

I use a heart monitor linked to a watch so when im out running this wee machine keeps me in check and gets the best out of me. i can then download the results to the POLAR website for comparison and see wher and how i need to improve. Cost me about £100 but its worth every penny....
An absolute must in my opinion, even the cheaper ones (Polar) can be had for £20-£30. Incredible how well you can manage your fitness with these, and pretty much all of the worlds top triathletes, cyclists etc use them.

In short you exercise to a target heart rate - your max aerobic HR for example and maintain that. This trains the body to use fat for fuel. So when you start you may even reach your target HR by walking, but everytime you exercise your body has to work harder to reach that target HR. The results are pretty tangible when you end up going from something like walking 3km in 30 mins to running 6km in 30 mins and still feeling good afterwards because your body is so conditioned to it.
Old 02 May 2007, 08:29 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Not much to add to the above. I've got a heart rate monitor which is great.

One thing I did find useful was a breathable t-shirt - you don't come all hot and sweaty..just hot

e.g. Saucony Lady Split Cap S/S T-Shirt

or go to Decathlon I like their stuff and it's cheap

Decathlon - Our Stores
Old 02 May 2007, 09:42 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Due to wearing out the cartliage in both knees I can no longer run. My bone is now rubbing away bone. Avoid road running if possible. That's what did it for me. Try running on grass. A great stamina builder for me was interupted breathing pattern training. Using a football pitch for example, alternate between a walk a jog and a sprint between fixed points. Try a 10 minute slow jog to get your heart going then finish off with a 10 minute cool down. After being out of action for 3 months I got back upto 5 miles comfortably in about a month. Enjoy your running. I really miss it. Bob
Old 03 May 2007, 09:12 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red_dog104
I went and got myself some running shoes today and I can't believe the difference already! Amazing!!!! Also got me some comfortable clothes to run in and Bobs ya uncle....... lovely jog!!! Not an ache anywhere. I wish I'd done this in the first place! BTW, I'm not THAT heavy, just heavier than I used to be!!!!

Good stuff, although if you are not aching then you're not trying hard enough!

Another good place for gear is Wiggle. As Nigel says, a technical base layer is probably the best thing to wear on top when running (I swear by Helly Hansen) - something like this

And don't forget to stay hydrated when you run! I've found it better to drink about 250ml water about 15 minutes bfore exercise and then drink small sips during exercise. That way I can keep going for longer.
Old 03 May 2007, 12:35 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I started jogging some years ago, read a suggestion to get you going is to walk a lampost gap then run one then walk another or, walk two gaps run one or what ever, helps to break into running quite easily without overdoing it, then I started to get swollen ankles, seizing knees, so I stopped doing it as it can be bad for the joints (particularly if youre that bit older). SO started mountain biking instead, non impact and great way to see the countryside and get fitter. SO throw the trainers in the bin go buy a bike.....