Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Some advice about golf clubs......

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2007, 01:11 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Some advice about golf clubs......

Need some advice from golfers....

Already having lessons from a Golf Pro, and am loving it.

I want to buy some clubs (been holding off just until I know I (a) like the game! (b) know what type of swing I've got), and now feel ready to get rid of some cash

I'm assuming that my teacher will recommend clubs (and probably from the golf club shop ), but what else is out there?

I'm pretty sure that with a mid-speed swing, graphite shafts are for me.

I was at Merry "Hell" yesterday and popped into Sports World.
They've got a deal on Dunlop clubs at the moment - up to 70% off

clubs

Sounds cheap - so are they any good?

Any other recommendations?

Don't need anything else (bag etc) - got it all for Chrimbo!

Was thinking that for the price, it could be worth a punt, but only if they're half-decent. Even at this price, I don't want to throw money away.....

Thoughts?

Dan
Old 22 April 2007, 01:13 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

why not just go for a walk and save the money on clubs, much less stressful
Old 22 April 2007, 01:17 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Old 22 April 2007, 01:30 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

You need to have an idea of how much you want to spend first. If you are already having lessons and are enjoying it, then I would probably go for something a bit better (and therefore expensive) as you will only upgrade later and pay twice.

Listen to the pros advice, they are usually fairly good.

Geezer
Old 22 April 2007, 01:49 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

fair enough - roll on Thursday (next lesson)

Best take the cheque book

DAn
Old 22 April 2007, 03:37 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Buy a secondhand set - golfers can't resist spending their money on the next big thing, so there are loads of decent sets available.

If you've got a medium speed swing, you don't necessarily need graphite shafts in your irons, regular flex steel are just as good (if not better) and cheaper. Any cavity back irons from Ping, Callaway, TaylorMade, Mizuno or Titleist would be suitable.
Old 22 April 2007, 04:11 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

I have always bought clubs because of the look and feel! They need to feel nice and sit right when you address the ball. That coupled with the look that you like will give you the confidence.

As said before go for something with a good sized head and cavity back.....avoid any sort of blades until you can play at a very good level. Try to find something with a bigger sweet spot to give you a little extra margin for error!
Old 22 April 2007, 04:13 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Best thing I ever did was get custom clubs.
Only slightly more expensive than a basic set and cheaper than the mid range I was looking at and they did wonders after 15 years of hacking around.

They had thicker grips and stiffer, longer shafts and they are more upright
Ben Sayers and they've lasted really well.
Old 22 April 2007, 04:30 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

fair enough.... as a cheap wood (2nd hand-type of prices), would that Dunlop suffice (seems pretty cheap - and felt pretty good).....

Just thinking of something that I can practice with - want to get my set choice right, so the investment in a couple of cheap clubs (5 iron and a wood) to take down the driving range for about £20 seems a good bet......

Unless anybody can see otherwise..

Like the idea of a custom set - as you say, it's down to feel/confidence....

Dan
Old 22 April 2007, 08:59 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Nice sized club, good name at great value!! It looks like its got everything you need.

Mizuno Golf MX-19 Irons (Steel, 3-SW) - Golf Irons - american golf)
Old 22 April 2007, 09:15 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Interesting - that's the sort of price I was thinking of.....

Maybe a mix of graphite/steels might be better then.....

Roll on Thursday!

Dan
Old 22 April 2007, 09:46 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Another good point is find out what clubs you want and then buy them from ebay!!

Look at the savings on those mizuno irons!!!

eBay.co.uk - Mizuno MX-19 Irons, Golf, Sporting Goods items at low prices
Old 22 April 2007, 09:49 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Best thing to do is go somewhere that lets you try the clubs before buying. It was about 9 years ago when I got mine, but went into American Discount Golf and tried quite a few sets to find one that suited me. It is surprising just how much difference there is between one set and another. Only by trying them did I find out I couldn't use graphite shafts as they flexed too much. I left having spent a bit more than anticipated (on different clubs than I'd planned), but I'm still happy with them to this day, so on a cost per use basis they have proved to be a bargain.

My first non-borrowed set were of the cheapo variety and I snapped the head of the 3 iron after a year or so. Shortly after that I gave them away to a mate who was just starting out and bought a better set.
Old 22 April 2007, 11:37 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Need some advice from golfers....

Already having lessons from a Golf Pro, and am loving it.

I want to buy some clubs (been holding off just until I know I (a) like the game! (b) know what type of swing I've got), and now feel ready to get rid of some cash

I'm assuming that my teacher will recommend clubs (and probably from the golf club shop ), but what else is out there?

I'm pretty sure that with a mid-speed swing, graphite shafts are for me.

I was at Merry "Hell" yesterday and popped into Sports World.
They've got a deal on Dunlop clubs at the moment - up to 70% off

clubs

Sounds cheap - so are they any good?

Any other recommendations?

Don't need anything else (bag etc) - got it all for Chrimbo!

Was thinking that for the price, it could be worth a punt, but only if they're half-decent. Even at this price, I don't want to throw money away.....

Thoughts?

Dan

I got the same set for the same resons, they are very good , but its a bit like wearing dunlop trainers, you dont do it if you can aford nike
Old 23 April 2007, 07:37 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by falkster
Another good point is find out what clubs you want and then buy them from ebay!!

Look at the savings on those mizuno irons!!!

eBay.co.uk - Mizuno MX-19 Irons, Golf, Sporting Goods items at low prices
Unless buying second hand i'd stay away from Ebay, far too many poor copies of clubs appearing on there

I started off with some cheap Dunlop clubs (think the whole set including the bag was £99), they were ok to see if I wanted to get into the game or not but I always wondered if I was playing poor due to my ability or the cheap clubs so I sold them to a mate and bought some more. I only then found out that the clubs were fine

I bought some from Direct Golf. I find this place to be considerably cheaper than some of the other stores. I went after a Mizuno set but the assistant (another 'pro') suggested I saved some money and went for a graphite T5 set by John Letters (i'd never heard of them but they looked nice). After trying them in the net (which is another reason to buy from a store rather than on-line) I was more consistent with the set he had suggested. I also had these 'custom fit' there it only meant bending the heads to suit your height, the shafts remain the same size. This cost me about £2 a club to have done, but once you've paid you can have it re-done as many times as you want. I have since had them re-set back to standard as I was hitting straighter with my standard rescue clubs.

That's another point to make, get a few rescue clubs/hybrids instead of long irons/woods. They are tons easier to hit!!!

Be careful though, like the Impreza, golf is an expensive habit. But the feeling of a great t-shot is a hard to beat, shame I don't experience it that often!
Old 23 April 2007, 08:11 AM
leemonkeh
Scooby Regular

I have graphite clubs.. there the best in my opinion. nice weight and feels nie through your swing.
Old 23 April 2007, 08:24 AM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Try www.golfbidder.co.uk good for a secondhand bargain.

for example http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/models/2...Set_MX-17.html
Old 23 April 2007, 08:56 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
Best thing I ever did was get custom clubs.
Only slightly more expensive than a basic set and cheaper than the mid range I was looking at and they did wonders after 15 years of hacking around.

They had thicker grips and stiffer, longer shafts and they are more upright
Ben Sayers and they've lasted really well.
Spot on - if you are going to play on a regular basis, you will benefit more from having the clubs customised than just buying the big name clubs. One size does not fit all when it comes to golf clubs!

Also don't get hung up on paying a fortune on the latest driver that might add a few yards to your drives. As I'm sure your pro has told you, roughly 65% of your shots will be played within 60 yards of the green. Having a decent putter and mastering your short game will save you far more shots than booming out mega drives.
Old 23 April 2007, 09:29 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Some good advice here. As previously stated get your clubs adjusted to you, this make a big difference even to a beginner! You'd be amazed at what one degree of bend in the head makes

Secondly i'd say get a second hand set of a named brand (Titleist, Mizuno, Taylor Made, Callaway) that are about a year old. These companies spend millions on R&D and are the best by some way. They are of top quality and you will notice a difference! I wouldnt recommend graphite shafts in irons, they are too inconsistent and dont make that much difference. If they were that good then the best players in the world would be using them and they dont

I've used many different sets of clubs and my current Mizuno (MP32's) are by far the best. They have a really soft feel and are the best in quality IMO.

Best thing to do is try a few different clubs and get the best ones for you

Gav..
Old 23 April 2007, 09:39 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobygav555
I've used many different sets of clubs and my current Mizuno (MP32's) are by far the best. They have a really soft feel and are the best in quality IMO.
Cant recommend these clubs enough, however - not for a beginner. And I bet mine dont look as clean and tidy as yours now Gav!

Chris, you and andy still chewing up my course?

If you are around the London area, the golf exhibition is kicking off in 3 days, that would be a good place to go and try some irons and you should be able to get a deal whilst there.

London Golf Show
Old 23 April 2007, 10:12 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I just started out this year along with 2 of my mates. I bought these:

Taylor Made RAC HT 06 Irons 3-PW (Steel Shaft) - Taylor Made available at Onlinegolf.co.uk - Europe's No.1 shop for golf equipment

Cracking price and they have a nice weight to them. Both my mates have tried them and like them aswell
Old 23 April 2007, 10:19 AM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps

I bought some from Direct Golf. I find this place to be considerably cheaper than some of the other stores. I went after a Mizuno set but the assistant (another 'pro') suggested I saved some money and went for a graphite T5 set by John Letters (i'd never heard of them but they looked nice).!
John Letters is an old brand - bought by Direct Golf a couple of years ago... not surprising they're keen to sell em! Direct Golf is cheap nonetheless.

I think you have to try clubs though... a lot of it is subjective stuff about feel. I love my Cleveland irons to bits, even went back to them after getting a set of new Callaways, but it really depends what feels comfortable for you. And that in itslef will probably change over time.

My advice would be to take up crack instead. Cheaper and less frustrating.
Old 23 April 2007, 10:31 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

LOL!!

great advice here - many thanks

Dan
Old 23 April 2007, 10:49 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I actually rate the John Letters stuff, might not be a top brand but its a very good beginners club and very forgiving. I still carry my John Letters Trilogy putter with me, really rate it for what it cost me years ago.

Quite fancy buying them Taylormade RAC clubs for £200. looks like a bargain to me with a free round of golf included hmm, Pay day on Thursday, might have to spend some of it early lol
Old 23 April 2007, 06:46 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
I got the same set for the same resons, they are very good , but its a bit like wearing dunlop trainers, you dont do it if you can aford nike

Its a while since I had my Dunlop golf clubs but they used to be the best clubs around.....Dunlop Maxfli Australian blade!!

And the same goes for John Letters....PGA tour blades
Old 23 April 2007, 06:55 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Fitz - still trying mate!
Old 23 April 2007, 08:17 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

i'd really recomend a new set, custom fitted to you. bit like a custom remap to your mods rather than a generic one, you'll be fine with both but the custom will be better and more tailored to you

totally contradictory but if you're on a budget there are some cracking 2nd hand deals out there, agree with the ebay snides but there are a few registered shops on there.
i've bought my first set of new clubs this year after playing for over 15 years and i got down to 9 with a set of maxflis i took a chance with off ebay. not saying this is the way to go, but don't rule it out if funds are limited
Old 23 April 2007, 11:35 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I find it funny how, they call them golf pro,s

If there golf pro,s what are they doing teaching punters to play? why arn't they out swinging sticks with Tiger and Sevvy?
there glof pro's

what was it they said. golf was invented for people who cant work

mart
Old 24 April 2007, 06:24 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

my club pro once said the gulf between him as a club pro to someone like tiger was as much as your mid handicapper to him

even your journeyman circuit golfer is a cracking player and the big boys put in far more hours than most of us to their job

i know which job i'd rather be doing though!!
Old 24 April 2007, 07:07 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

what ever you buy.. make sure you have a resue club in there too.

I've have a King Cobra (2R) 18,degree. its about £89 - Cobra (Baffler Utility, Fairway Wood, Hybrid)

gets a great write up
Google Image Result for http://i17.ebayimg.com/01/c/03/e9/0e/6f_7.JPG

awesome club, looks like a beefed up iron/smaller head than a 'wood'.
gets you out of all sticky stuff, used it the most on Saturday when i played in the weekly comp, you hit it miles! from semi, fairway and off the tee. A great all rounder.

Quick Reply: Some advice about golf clubs......