Please: think about emissions

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2007, 07:24 PM
The Environmentalist
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please: think about emissions

Hello everyone,

Firstly let me introduce myself. My name is Elwyn Whittock and I am the founder and President of the North Wales Environmental Trust. It is my aim to visit as many motoring based internet forums as possible in the next couple of weeks just to try to focus everyone’s attention on CO2 emissions and the harm cars are having on the environment and Mother Earth! I am not asking you all to go and sell your cars tomorrow; I understand that to be sharing your interests amongst others on the internet suggests to me that your car plays a major role in your life. All I ask is that you consider and possibly take action on at least one the following in the coming months:

1/ Downsize to a smaller car with lower emissions. This will also save you money both in terms of fuel consumption and vehicle excise duty. Some small cars are even free of any duty since the last budget! There’s an incentive for you all.
2/ Consider a dual fuel vehicle or hybrid. Many are on sale already and the list keeps growing. I have driven one and they are fantastic to drive!
3/ If you use your car for domestic and pleasure purposes only limit your use of the vehicle to just 10 miles per week. For every mile above this distance you increase your CO2 emissions by 53%.
4/ Consider converting your car to run on biofuel, propane or hydrogen.
5/ Buy a car with a diesel engine. Whilst these produce similar amounts of CO2 to a petrol engine they are more fuel efficient so therefore are cleaner.
6/ Consider another hobby other than motoring which will take up your time and provide similar thrills for the adrenaline junkies amongst you such as bungee jumping or white water rafting. Or why not take the kids to the local fun fair and share a ride!
7/ Take the train to work or cycle there, it’s good for your health and your wealth.

Remember that we only have one planet Earth, please do not contribute to its destruction by being reckless. Reducing your speed to 45 mph for instance will reduce CO2 emissions by 72% in the UK alone!

Thanks for your time

Kind Regards,

Elwyn Whittock
President,
North Wales Environmental Trust
“Your changes will make the difference”
Old 20 April 2007, 07:25 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Old 20 April 2007, 07:28 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

How about fecking off all your sheep and cattle that produce the majority of gas

Old 20 April 2007, 07:29 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

*drives at 6000rpm in 2nd through wales*

LOL
Old 20 April 2007, 07:29 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I'm off to the car to rev it to a frenzy whilst stationary...

Anyway, great effort... If anyone decides to give away their spec c on account of our Welsh friend, pm me and I'll take good care of it for you
Old 20 April 2007, 07:30 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

..putting the mental in "The Environmentalist"

Old 20 April 2007, 07:30 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Old 20 April 2007, 07:31 PM
DANNYBOY2511
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He makes me glad i took the cats out
Old 20 April 2007, 07:31 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

with the ammount of insurance and extra vehicle tax we pay you must be joking..iam going to use it when i like, where i like and often as i like.Go preach somewhere else
Old 20 April 2007, 07:32 PM
scooby0809
Scooby Regular

how do get about then? push bike?must have some legs on ya with those hills round your way!
Old 20 April 2007, 07:34 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Environmentalist
3/ If you use your car for domestic and pleasure purposes only limit your use of the vehicle to just 10 miles per week. For every mile above this distance you increase your CO2 emissions by 53%.
So how does that work then ?
Old 20 April 2007, 07:35 PM
collierm
Scooby Regular

Welcome

I appreciate your trying to save the environment, but don't you think its a bit self serving to be concentrating on emissions from cars and hitting motoring groups only. The government has hounded motorists for years to be point where environmental concerns seems to be used as a whip to beat us all.

Surely going after the big hitters, big industry, air transport etc would fulfil more of a pledge to help against the global warming fight.

Mind you I can understand why why you attack motorists first. Its hard to fight Mother Nature (peat bogs releasing CO2 anyone?) and the Sun causing natural variations on global temperature through sunspot activity.

I hope your self interest group in making sure you keep your job and pestering motorists in a nation that contributes only 2% globally will really help when our neighbours the other side of the pond ingore the Kyoto Protocol and do whatever they want to suit themselves. Oh and not forgetting the Chinese, smog city no longer in Middlesbrough, its in Beijing .

Now bugger off back to Wales.

Best Regards

Matt
Old 20 April 2007, 07:35 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

co2 from cars dont damage the inviroment cow sh?t doesmor damage
Old 20 April 2007, 07:37 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

is this the first of april everytime the government put the price of motoring up i get a larger engined car stuff them
Old 20 April 2007, 07:39 PM
The Environmentalist
Scooby Regular

Hello,

I am finding some of the responses quite sad and worrying by the very least. I expected many people to take on board what we (the trust) are saying at trying to save this Earth for your children and your childrens children. I am also a lay preacher at my local methodist church and everyone is on board. Now come on chaps, lets show some community. I am not alone in my beliefs, in 10 years time it will be compulsory to use public transport.

Regards,

Elwyn
Old 20 April 2007, 07:40 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

I find this comical - carbon foot prints and that. Look at the sheer amount of CO2 produced by the USA and China in relation to the UK. We dont even produce 1% of the amount of the two combined. They don't seem to be bothered nor are they taxed to the hilt on it either like us.

Save time and go and protest against US and Chineese industry not performance car owners on an enthusiast board.

There is also no 100% proof that CO2 causes global warming anyway. Did the dinosaurs fart their way out of the ice age? Look at evolution, there are alot of changes in the planets make up in history. I bet this is another change as the planet evolves and matures.
Old 20 April 2007, 07:41 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

This has got to be a **** take surely
Old 20 April 2007, 07:41 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Go and stick your **** in a eucalyptus, we're not interested
Old 20 April 2007, 07:42 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

personally i do not give a **** about the emissions,i pay a fortune in road tax and duty on fuel and will drive my car when i want
10 miles that would not even get me to the shop to buy my ****

my theory is global warming just another excuse to tax us

question to the enviromentalist the extra money tony and his chronies generate from so called green taxes do you really think it goes on the enviroment?bo11ox does it they got to pay for the iraq war somehow

anyway rant over, everyone enjoy ragging your scoobs round chewing up the v-power
Old 20 April 2007, 07:44 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Whilst I appreciate what you are saying, and not wishing to be too negative, on this sensitive subject there appears to be some flaws in your arguments.

How does that work then?

Why should my CO2 emission increase by 53% with the first mile ie a 10% increase in mileage bearing in mind the engine will have warmed up and be running more efficiently?

Having driven a 100 miles how could it increase by 53% with a 1% increase in mileage?

7/ Take the train to work, it’s good for your health and your wealth.”
The train is not good for my wealth! I also recall from somewhere that trains which are full still produce more CO2 per person than cars. Perhaps someone could confirm that.

Remember that we only have one planet Earth, please do not contribute to its destruction by being reckless. Reducing your speed to 45 mph for instance will reduce CO2 emissions by 72% in the UK alone!”
Reduce from what speed?

You seem to be suggesting that cars emit virtually all the CO2 in the UK as this reduction to 45mph will reduce all CO2 emissions by 72%?

I have planted additional plants in my garden to offset my carbon footprint, so that's OK then.
Old 20 April 2007, 07:44 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
Go and stick your **** in a eucalyptus, we're not interested

..no eucalyptus at hand?, please go and find a cheese grater.

Old 20 April 2007, 07:45 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Elwyn Whittock,

I think i speak for the majority when i say thanks for visiting our forum, having someone who has our interests in their mind when talking environment can only be a step forward.

I like many others though have an issue with the 'CO2 = Global Warming' concept widely publicised by the 'Power Figures' of the world, and my reasons mainly lie within the fact that their is just as much proof that Global Warming is being caused by CO2 as their is to say its being caused by another factor outside our control.. for example the theory that the Sun is heating up/getting bigger and could also be causing it. I believe i read the other day that Venus and Mars are heating at the same rate as the Earth, yet contain no means of producing anything other than 'Natural' CO2. Perhaps the reason the alternative theories arent widely accepted or researched into far enough to be able to present a case to discount them completely out of debate by our 'Power Figures' is that they are not taxable? I dont know.. you tell me... perhaps i just have a trust issue with the kettle and black ***'d saucepan that run our country.

If CO2 was proved without doubt to be the reason our Earth is warming, then i would gladly give up my 2006 Impreza STi. Currently it isnt so im going to just pay my higher tax in the hope that the money will be put to use with additional independant research which is soo badly needed on the Earth Warming subject.

I also think alot more could be done to assist the motorist away from our road, strange how a small company like this: Tesla Motors can produce an electric car that would appeal to many Sport Car enthusiasts like the users of this forum when many major manufacturers are still investing in 'Oil Burning' methods of transport. Something tells me that the fact the Electric Car couldnt be 'Green Taxd' or give a route to produce the massive revenue now being drained from the Motorist has some role to play.

If im wrong, please assist me with Importing a Tesla... because i think we may have the first 'Tax Exempt' car for the new banding they have produced. Im sure this will be far from forthcoming though.

Your thoughts appriciated.
Old 20 April 2007, 07:45 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

If you want to reduce your carbon footprint, stop wearing odour eaters
Old 20 April 2007, 07:46 PM
sti_ken
Scooby Regular

6/ Consider another hobby other than motoring which will take up your time and provide similar thrills for the adrenaline junkies amongst you such as bungee jumping or white water rafting. Or why not take the kids to the local fun fair and share a ride!
How do we get there public transport is pants on a Sunday
Old 20 April 2007, 07:46 PM
The Environmentalist
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by totalllama
I find this comical - carbon foot prints and that. Look at the sheer amount of CO2 produced by the USA and China in relation to the UK. We dont even produce 1% of the amount of the two combined. They don't seem to be bothered nor are they taxed to the hilt on it either like us.

Save time and go and protest against US and Chineese industry not performance car owners on an enthusiast board.

There is also no 100% proof that CO2 causes global warming anyway. Did the dinosaurs fart their way out of the ice age? Look at evolution, there are alot of changes in the planets make up in history. I bet this is another change as the planet evolves and matures.
Hello,

We as a nation have to take responsibility for the poorer third world countries and set an example to the world. My dear trusted friend, let me put it this way, if eveyone including yourself were lighting bonfires on your street every night with the burning embers creating mayhem and hazard and dirty smelly smoke what would you do? If I was on the street I would extinguish my fire to set an example to the rest of the neihbourhood with pamphlets issued to every household asking them to "stop it". This is what moves the government should be making to stamp on our disgraceful behavoir towards Mother Earth. This planet was not created with cars on it for heavens sake.

Regards,
Elwyn
Old 20 April 2007, 07:49 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I am carbon neutral

I neither like or dislike coal. ROFL

*glees*
Old 20 April 2007, 07:49 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Old 20 April 2007, 07:52 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Hello,

We as a nation have to take responsibility for the poorer third world countries and set an example to the world. My dear trusted friend, let me put it this way, if eveyone including yourself were lighting bonfires on your street every night with the burning embers creating mayhem and hazard and dirty smelly smoke what would you do? If I was on the street I would extinguish my fire to set an example to the rest of the neihbourhood with pamphlets issued to every household asking them to "stop it". This is what moves the government should be making to stamp on our disgraceful behavoir towards Mother Earth. This planet was not created with cars on it for heavens sake.

Regards,
Elwyn
Can you post 5 paragraphs in Welsh (squelsh as we call it) with the exact English translation underneath. Talk about pomegranate based religions.
Old 20 April 2007, 07:53 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Elwyn, have you been listening to Jamiroqui again ?

When you gonna learn
Old 20 April 2007, 07:53 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Hello,

Regards,
Elwyn
you are wasting yor time on here pal,go preach to people that give a **** as you can see from the comments in this thread the majority on here don't

Quick Reply: Please: think about emissions