Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

SMOKING

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2007, 09:06 AM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SMOKING

Who does - Who does not, I got a taxi on Saturday night , The driver asked me if I was anti smoking I said Yes , He asked my job Im a Plastering and Building Contractor, He said most out door workers were anti smoking
Old 16 April 2007, 09:12 AM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont smoke, never have.

I dont have a problem with people smoking ( as most people have enough of a brain to know what they are doing to themselves, so its up to them) , as long as i dont have to breath in the stuff as well.
Old 16 April 2007, 09:40 AM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

I quit smoking 8 weeks ago. Its one of the hardest things ive ever had to do and yet speaking to quitters of 20 years or so they say that they still get urges to smoke... something ive got to fight with for the rest of my life it seems as the need to smoke never seems to go. My recommendation is never to start up in the first place!!

I dont mind it at all. Even now that ive stopped, as I know how addicted to it that you can be. Its also very uncomfortable for a smoker when you cant light up where you like.
Old 16 April 2007, 09:44 AM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

I gave up for 4 year and never got rid of the cravings one druken night and one smoke and im back on it again but i have limited it to 10 max a day. If im busy can go a day with one or two. I dont smoke around others and always go outside when i do.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:05 AM
AndyP's_P1
Scooby Regular

Been stopped for a year and a half now. Thought it was quite easy to give up. Just went cold turkey, first two or three days cravings were bad then it was fine after that
Old 16 April 2007, 10:05 AM
Russ71
Scooby Regular

Me and the wife gave up 8 years ago May, was hard at first but now we dont even think about it.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:21 AM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don`t smoke and dislike people smoking next to me.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:36 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Went cold turkey around 4 years ago, found it really easy. Had cravings for a couple of years, ESPECIALLY after drinking...now it makes me sick just thinking about it. I like a cigar though !
Old 16 April 2007, 11:03 AM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

I quit on september 1st last year. On the 3rd I went out and bought a new car "to use the money I used to spend on ****" I have just change to a Scooby and am still off the ****.
Some days I could quite easily start smoking again. Other days if you asked me if I had ever smoked I would have to think about it.

PS Have I just discovered the ex smokers support thread
Old 16 April 2007, 01:07 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

It'd be great if everyone gave up smoking tomorrow, just to see all the non-smokers having to foot a great big tax bill!

Each to their own I say, but I do understand that no everyone like the smell of a burn.

I can't stand the fake 'coughers' who haven't got the ***** to ask you not to smoke, and obviously can't seem to move away.

I don't see why we can't have smoking pubs and restaurants etc. as well as no-smoking ones (come July). You've got a pub where all the punters smoke, and all the staff, so why can't you smoke? If you're a non-smoker then don't drink/work there.
Old 16 April 2007, 01:16 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
It'd be great if everyone gave up smoking tomorrow, just to see all the non-smokers having to foot a great big tax bill!
If everyone gave up smoking then everyone would be non smokers and there'd be plenty of people to cover the tax
Old 16 April 2007, 01:39 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I smoked every day for 14 years and 3 months ago, at the old age of 32, I have almost completely knocked it on the head. Now I just have the occasional cig when down the pub on a weekend...
I am £750 a year financially better off and my fingers and clothes don't smell anymore and I guess I'll be physically better off in the long run too.

That said, I abhore the concept of the imminent ban...It will serve no purpose other than to drive heavy smokers back into their homes to smoke with their kids. Also social smokers and their non smoking mates will hang around in heated and lit "Outdoor areas", all huddled together breathing in and smelling of second hand smoke etc. Town centre bars will be rife with gangs of people huddled in doorways...(info just based on a straw poll in my local which is a well to do pub with complete mix of age and class).
Some bars will suffer due to them not having space to deal with the new laws, governments will lose millions in unclaimed fines from all Mickey Mouse and Daffy Duck names given to council geeks employed to fine tab droppers and pub smokers...
But hey we're all debating this rather than the war on afghanistan, Iraq, problems in the health service, fudged job figures, falling education standards, rising violent crime, illegally spaced registration plates and non foggy foglight users, so well done Mr Blair...
This piece of legislation actually does serve a purpose... I see it now... It's a political masterstroke....
Old 16 April 2007, 02:13 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

post 10 *cough*
Old 16 April 2007, 02:15 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by andy.downes
Went cold turkey around 4 years ago, found it really easy. Had cravings for a couple of years, ESPECIALLY after drinking...now it makes me sick just thinking about it. I like a cigar though !
Ditto, do like a wee King Ted post booze
Old 16 April 2007, 02:44 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I don't smoke, and have never even tried it.

Growing up my parents both smoked and so did my sister. Sitting in a living room watching TV with a room full of smoke when you're 10 years old is not a desirable thing.

People have a right to smoke, but smokers should understand (non seam to) that people also have a right not to breath in your smoke.
Guy at work really p155es me off by lighting up and then coming over to speak to me. He also has a habit of lighting up when discussing a job and not giving a **** that the smoke is billowing into my face.
It takes a lot of restraint to stop myself grabbing his *** out of his hand and stubbing it out on his forehead.
People who light up as soon as they've stopped eating p155es me off too, as they don't give a **** that you haven't finished yet. So every mouthful of food is accompanied by a mouthful of smoke too.

Years ago I had to share an office with a smoker. I must have been on 20 a day, as this guy (see above) was/is a chain smoker.
Old 16 April 2007, 02:58 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

I have smoked, and do sometimes if out.

I think the ban is a good idea, its not fair to push smoke in others faces, especially pub workers who have no option, they could get a different job (as some people suggest) but thats pretty much stopping people doing something through no fault of their own. I think this type of action will reduce the number of smokers as increasing tax has simply not worked, and has increased smuggling of **** etc.

Still a light control on possibly the worse drug in the world though
Old 16 April 2007, 03:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I don't smoke but I'm not anti-smoking. My friends smoke and I've no problem with that, especially as they have the common courtesy to go outside if they want a smoke.
I don't allow anyone to smoke in my car or house. I respect their right to smoke and don't whinge when they light up in their own house or car, but I know people who do this which is frankly very rude indeed.

Smoking was already banned in the office when we came over here, and then the ban on smoking in restaurants and bars was introduced and I'm fine with that, especially in restaurants where I have always felt that if there is a smoking section then it should be in a partitioned off area, say half the restaurant for example.
Old 16 April 2007, 03:24 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I'm getting closer to quiting.

Are there such thing as tobacco substitutes, for say in, er, cough, joints, for a friend.

I think the smoking ban is a blessing. Clothes no longer stink after a night out. Makes city centres etc a bit rowdy on a fri/sat night though.

Last edited by GazTheHat; 16 April 2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 16 April 2007, 03:28 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Never smoked, if others are stupid enough to do it that's up to them but I object to people smoking around me.
Went out pubbing/clubbing on Saturday and my clothes smell like a used ashtray.
The ban can't come soon enough for me.

Cheers
Lee
Old 16 April 2007, 03:57 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i dont like smoking in my car
Old 16 April 2007, 04:09 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Apart from a little wacky when it's offered, I never have and never will. I object to being subjected to it when I'm out too. I do nothing to inflict potential physical harm on others and do nothing to make anyone's surroundings unpleasant or uncomfortable, so why should I suffer because of weak peoples silly addictions. My mother is a life-long smoker and has absolutely no willpower whatsoever to attempt quitting. I go see the old folks regularly, but change into clothes which are just about wash-ready before I go to avoid stinking up another outfit.

The public ban makes perfect sense. You only have to look at the public attitude to speeding and the enforcement measures applied in a futile attempt to reduce the 3,200 road deaths each year (whilst generating massive revenue and employment potential ) and yet we fully accept the 250,000 smoking related deaths each year. The tax argument is folly, as the NHS have clearly stated that the cost of treatment of smoking related illness far outweighs the tax revenue collected.

Ban it whilst driving too. It's illegal to eat and drink, but would you rather drop an apple in your lap or a lit cigarette ? And how many smokers will admit to unwrapping a packet, opening it up, removing a tab and lighting it whilst on the move ? Dangerous ? You know it, but I'll sit back now and let the smelly, selfish, weak ones defend themselves
Old 16 April 2007, 04:14 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

My grandad chain smoked until he died at the ripe old age of 81!

He died badly, and was feeble and frail all the time I knew him until he passed away... An uncle had to have a lung removed due to smoking & cancer - it's NOT GOOD at all!

Why do people start? - that's what get's me!

Noone can say they enjoyed their first drag on a cigarrette - it is disgusting!
Old 16 April 2007, 06:44 PM
R.B
Scooby Regular

I was just wandering on metcafe and came across this

Looks like they start early in this country.

Fecking sick if you ask me and who are his parents ?

Russian Child Smoking Video
Old 16 April 2007, 07:00 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by corradoboy

Ban it whilst driving too. It's illegal to eat and drink, but would you rather drop an apple in your lap or a lit cigarette ? And how many smokers will admit to unwrapping a packet, opening it up, removing a tab and lighting it whilst on the move ? Dangerous ? You know it, but I'll sit back now and let the smelly, selfish, weak ones defend themselves

When did it become illegal to eat & drink while driving?

Strange that every motorway services and petrol station sell food and drink, and every new car today comes with cup holders.

You make yourself sound a bit of an old woman with that post, are you trying to say that both of your hands never ever leave the wheel when driving? get real!
Old 16 April 2007, 07:16 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

^^^

At the very least it may come under "Careless Driving", but a prosecuting officer may wish to pursue the much more serious "Dangerous Driving" charge in some instances, which carries up to a £5k fine and/or 6 months in gaol. People have been prosecuted in this country (do a search on BBC News) for eating an apple and a Kit-Kat, but I've not heard of a smoker getting done as yet I might sound like an old woman, but in reality I am a driving instructor, hence YES, I do tend to drive with both hands the vast majority of the time Practise what you preach and all that eh !
Old 16 April 2007, 07:22 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

ah... I forgot that...I saw your thread.

as for the rules and regs on eating...

What a load of b0llocks
Old 16 April 2007, 07:32 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

eating whilst driving will be treated as an offence by the police

Driver fined for eating his sandwich
Old 16 April 2007, 07:38 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Unbelievable. Had it been smoked salmon & soft cheese he'd have no doubt walked, scott-free.

I drink, eat, and smoke at the wheel, I won't be stopping. I might start to roll my ciggies before I set off, but that's about it.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:24 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Typical really
Old 16 April 2007, 10:39 PM
stressymare
Scooby Regular

i gave up 6 months ago

best thing i eva did except the 2 bloody stone i put on

Quick Reply: SMOKING